Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question I'm ready to buy my first hammock, but unsure what width to choose

Hello,

I'm around 1,82m tall (6') and 80kg (176 lbs). Rather small shoulders, ectomorph body type.
    A Dutchware Chameleon is my pick. Their regular width is 57/58" and the wide version is 68".

DWG told me I should go with the regular "We suggest our wide hammocks for folks taller than 6'1" and more than 250 pounds" - "Dutch is 6ft tall and about 240 pounds - he prefers the standard width, so we would suggest that for you as well."

But I keep seing people around my height say that going wider than that can be more comfortable and that worst case scenario you just get some useless floppy fabric. While on the other hand, worst case scenario if it's too narrow is, well, a not so comfortable hammock. Dream Hammock for example suggests width between 62" and 64" for people around 6ft. So I'm thinking about having my Chameleon custom made to 62 or 64" (yes, they can do that for you for extra $). What do you think?

I'm trying to avoid doing some trial and error because of the international shipping rates + customs. Oh and I don't care about the extra weight, comfort is my priority.

Thanks!

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Others may weigh in with their views, but I find longer is more comfortable than wider. The difference between an 11' and a 12' was very noticeable. For me.

I may be wrong, but I think someone said wider sometimes results in more calf ridge. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this, please!
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Man, that's a tough spot considering the costs for shipping and customs. Do you have any hammocks you've used in the past that you can compare to?

I have DW Chameleon in Hexon 1.6, standard width but with a symmetrical bugnet because I flop around alot and the asyms lock you into one direction. I'm 6'1 and about 260 and it works fine for me. I don't use the tie outs (just more stuff to trip on) and there's a fair amount of flop because of the sym bugnet, but it doesn't bother me. But, everyone's different...what works for me might be uncomfortable for you. Just don't get to caught up in the 'analysis paralysis' trying to get it perfect...it's a journey, not a destination.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Do you have any hammocks you've used in the past that you can compare to?
    I don't, sadly. What about you? Have you ever tried a hammock wider than your regular Chameleon? How did it compare?
    I have DW Chameleon in Hexon 1.6, standard width but with a symmetrical bugnet because I flop around alot and the asyms lock you into one direction.
    Yeah, the asym vs sym net/cover is yet an other choice I have to make and since I don't know how I will behave in a hammock and what I'll prefer, I found an easy solution: I'll buy both a sym and asym bugnet and try both to see which style I prefer.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I don't, sadly. What about you? Have you ever tried a hammock wider than your regular Chameleon? How did it compare?
    Actually, no. I started with a Walmart hammock, which was 9.5' x 59". It was infinitely better than sleeping on the ground. The main issue was shoulder squeeze. When I got my first 'real' hammock (DW Half Zip), it was longer but about the same width and the shoulder squeeze went away.

I found the Half Zip comfortable, but that model was an asym std lay (head left) and it's sewn on one side (hence, half zip). I then wanted to try reverse lay (head right), so I got a WB Eldorado and flipped the net for reverse lay. A few nights with that, I pretty much figured out that I needed a symmetrical net...so I got the DW Chameleon. I could've gotten the new model Half Zip (symmetrical now), but Dutch had a sale going and I got the Print2Fabric model for the same price as the standard solid color model. The Chameleon is now my goto, and the other 2 hammocks are loaners.

Yeah, the asym vs sym net/cover is yet an other choice I have to make and since I don't know how I will behave in a hammock and what I'll prefer, I found an easy solution: I'll buy both a sym and asym bugnet and try both to see which style I prefer.
    If your budget will allow it, why not get both standard and wide Chameleon as well? Then, you have a spare for a buddy, and you can configure one just for you. Then you just have to get a bunch of quilts. And tarps. And suspensions.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Stuck in not-disimilar question loops and am leaning towards standard width single-layer. After years with a 9', I'm excited to see how the couple extra feet perform.

If your budget will allow it, why not get both standard and wide Chameleon as well? Then, you have a spare for a buddy, and you can configure one just for you. Then you just have to get a bunch of quilts. And tarps. And suspensions.
    Sounds like someone with a van full of gear "specials"...

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    We have both sizes (not from our cottage venders), my 11' is 68" and my lady has an 11' that's only 55" wide.
    I like a wide hammock because I use a deeper sag and lay more diagonal. My lady is happy w/ less sag and therefore does not lay as diagonal. She had a wide and hated the "extra" material that doesn't get used unless you're pretty diagonal. She's also 5'5" and I'm 6', 150lb

Actually, no.
    Hey, who knows then, maybe if you got the chance to try a wider hammock you might find it even more comfortable!
    Or do you think you've already reached peak comfiness and it can't get any better than what you already have?
    If your budget will allow it, why not get both standard and wide Chameleon as well?
    I wish my budget would allow that.
    But I'm sure that if I end up loving sleeping in a hammock I'll buy a second one sooner or later, I'm just trying the best I can to have the best hammock I can get on the first try. With a bit of luck it might be the only one I'll ever need for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I like a wide hammock because I use a deeper sag and lay more diagonal.
    Have you ever tried a hammock in the middle of these two widths, say 62 or 64"?

Thanks for your replies guys!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    I'm 6'2" and find the 11' X 62" wide Warbonnet Eldorado and Traveler hammocks about ideal in width. They do not need Knotty Mods to manage excess fabric. I also have a Dutchware 11' Netless Wide (68") hammock. It is comfortable to lay in but the high sides block too much breeze on hot days. Also, it is a bit of a struggle to climb out of if set too high or too low. I have a couple of 59" wide Hennessy Hammocks but feel they are a little too narrow.

I recently purchased material to make a couple of DIY gathered end hammocks. My intention is to make one 64" wide as a trial and to make the second at the width I find is ideal.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Nounours View Post
    Have you ever tried a hammock in the middle of these two widths, say 62 or 64"?
    I do have a Brazilian that's about 64"(?) It's probably the narrowest I could comfortably do w/ my degree of lay. I sometimes feel like my feet are close to falling out of it. Of course if I reduce my sag I could have a bit more beyond my height.

I really believe that wide hammocks are for those over 6', or those that like a serious diagonal. At my degree of angle I have no issues looking out of my 68" hammock w/o even lifting my head, no extra material in my face. I also don't use zipped on bugnets because I can't change the amount of sag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast