Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Hey, who knows then, maybe if you got the chance to try a wider hammock you might find it even more comfortable! Or do you think you've already reached peak comfiness and it can't get any better than what you already have?
    I run into calf ridge sometimes...but that's more of a setup and adjustment issue. Honestly, I don't think I could get more comfy! But never say never...I thought I was done buying gear, and then HG puts up another 15% off sale. Super tempted to get the DCF Winter Palace. But then I would have 4 tarps, and only 3 hammocks and sets of quilts.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Nounours View Post
    Hello,

I'm around 1,82m tall (6') and 80kg (176 lbs). Rather small shoulders, ectomorph body type.
    A Dutchware Chameleon is my pick. Their regular width is 57/58" and the wide version is 68".

DWG told me I should go with the regular "We suggest our wide hammocks for folks taller than 6'1" and more than 250 pounds" - "Dutch is 6ft tall and about 240 pounds - he prefers the standard width, so we would suggest that for you as well."

But I keep seing people around my height say that going wider than that can be more comfortable and that worst case scenario you just get some useless floppy fabric. While on the other hand, worst case scenario if it's too narrow is, well, a not so comfortable hammock. Dream Hammock for example suggests width between 62" and 64" for people around 6ft. So I'm thinking about having my Chameleon custom made to 62 or 64" (yes, they can do that for you for extra $). What do you think?

I'm trying to avoid doing some trial and error because of the international shipping rates + customs. Oh and I don't care about the extra weight, comfort is my priority.

Thanks!
    I'm 6'3" 235lbs, never had any issues with regular width. Length is more critical IMHO.I can't do anything under 11' in length. My DIY was 13' and was super comfy! I like the Dutchwear Gear Chameleon as well!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBeard13 View Post
    I'm 6'3" 235lbs, never had any issues with regular width. Length is more critical IMHO.I can't do anything under 11' in length. My DIY was 13' and was super comfy! I like the Dutchwear Gear Chameleon as well!
    Interesting, thanks!
    And have you ever tried wider hammocks than the regular Chameleon?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Did you end up deciding on hammock yet? I was in the same situation as you last year when I was deciding on which Chameleon I wanted. I am also 6ft. (1.83m), ectomorph body type.

But I keep seing people around my height say that going wider than that can be more comfortable and that worst case scenario you just get some useless floppy fabric.
    And that’s exactly how I resolved the dilemma. I opted for the Chameleon WIDE (68”) with symmetrical bug net, and I am super happy that I did. Yes, there is some floppy fabric, but the Chameleon has tie outs for that. And with a wider hammock body, you have more freedom to stretch out, find your “sweet spot”. Essentially, you have more lay options.

As others have said, the length of hammock is also important, perhaps more for some people. But having a wider hammock body doesn’t hurt, especially when you are discovering what position is most comfortable for you.

I'm trying to avoid doing some trial and error because of the international shipping rates + customs. Oh and I don't care about the extra weight, comfort is my priority.
    Totally understand the shipping + taxes. Trial and error can become expensive! If comfort is priority, go WIDE. It is better to have extra fabric than less, I believe.

And once you discover your optimal lay position, maybe you will invest in a more narrow hammock in the width that you need. And you’ll have a backup WIDE Chameleon that you could lend to somebody who might be interested in hammock camping.

TL;DR: +1 for WIDE Chameleon. It is more comfortable.
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 04-07-2022 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Did you end up deciding on hammock yet? I was in the same situation as you last year when I was deciding on which Chameleon I wanted. I am also 6ft. (1.83m), ectomorph body type.
    Hey, I finally placed my order yesterday and I opted for a custom width Chameleon: 64" wide.
    I think it will be a good middle ground, with the benefits of the wide without too much floppy fabric. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will reveal to be the perfect choice on the first try, but if not, I'll buy an even better one later. If I end up loving hammocking it surely won't be the first and last hammock of my life!

Have you had the chance to try narrower hammocks to compare with your wide Chameleon?
    Cheers, and thanks for your answer!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Great! Happy to hear that you made the decision. I think that it’s better that you went a little wider than the usual 58”. I find that the Chameleon is very comfortable.

Have you had the chance to try narrower hammocks to compare with your wide Chameleon?
    I tried one other hammock that was narrower, and I really didn’t like it. I believe that it was around 55” wide. That said, it was only 10 feet long, so 11’ or 12’ probably would have been much better, but the narrow width was extremely disappointing and limiting.

But some people like more narrow hammocks! They know the width that they need to be comfortable, less fabric, less weight.
    It is probably ideal to have different hammocks for different purposes. A long and wide one for lounging, maybe one that is more narrow for backpacking, etc.

Need to experiment to find out!

Hammock
    Hammock Gear 11'
    Tarp
    12’ Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG tq & uq
    Suspension
    Woopies
    I started with an Eno double wide. I thought that I would be more comfortable with a longer hammock, so I went with Hammock Gear regular at 11’ and 58”? wide, as I had their top and bottom quilts. IMO, I think I was more comfortable in the shorter but wider hammock. It always feels to me that my feet are falling out of the more narrow hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyE View Post
    I started with an Eno double wide. I thought that I would be more comfortable with a longer hammock, so I went with Hammock Gear regular at 11’ and 58”? wide, as I had their top and bottom quilts. IMO, I think I was more comfortable in the shorter but wider hammock. It always feels to me that my feet are falling out of the more narrow hammock.
    Yeah, I have a double wide hammock also that’s less than 11’. Despite its length, it is still very comfortable due to its great width!

Yet many people seem to prefer the “standard” 57”-58” hammocks. I can see how one could become accustomed to the comfort a narrower hammock over time, they’ve probably discovered their comfort zone and they don’t tend to deviate much from it, but for a lot of others it is just too limiting.

Can you sleep in a narrower hammock? Yes. Will you have more lay/comfort options available to you? Likely not, but not everybody needs them.
    Wider is more versatile. Up to a certain point, I believe.

Hammock
    DIY MTN 1.7 11' x 62"
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Becket to CL
    6' 255lbs here with wide shoulders.
    I have a chameleon wide 64" 11 foot 1.6Hexon with the asym and symmetrical nets. I find the 64" to be comfortable with a bit more sag ~108" RL. The nets are the same size for the wide and the standard size hammock, which I think is a shortcoming. When the asym net is on with the 64" wide with standard RL or with the 108 the hammock is much less comfortable. Since the bugnets are not built for the wide they pull the fabric up which negates the extra width and creates floppy walls. I have access to a standard chameleon with the symmetrical and find the functionality of the netting better for the lay and visibility, but I prefer more than the 58" width. Too bad the nets are not made to match the width, I may modify the asym to make a properly sized sym net at some point.

My 1.7 mtn was made 66" wide and 12' long, very comfortable but the width was overkill, lots of floppy material. The 12' is a great lounger but too long for my tarp, so it's now an 11' x 62" which seems perfect. 110" RL with 4 wraps on a biner hit the sweet spot for me. My chameleon is 23ozs which is heavier than I would like. Planning to make a bottom entry net for the 11' which is 13.5oz adding the net will still put me below 20ozs.

Initially I really liked the modularity of the chameleon and may still use it if the net mod works out, just not as my primary backpacking setup.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    6’2” 200 lb, very broad shoulders, 11 x 62 WB and very comfortable. Trying 11x64 in 1.2 MTN soon but not because of width issues. Maybe the extra width will leave a foot box more lofted, but I doubt I’ll be able to see much of a difference personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast