Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    I actually prefer being perpendicular to the wind. Being inline means a lot of wind-blown rain can get in.

Site selection is the biggest influence -- #1 safe trees! #2 out of the wind. (Better to have safe trees and deal with wind than the other way around.) Doors do help. Ridgeline under tarp does help. Rigging everything close to the ground minimizes the power of the wind, too.

One thing that really helps is staking the corners out with one guyline and down with another guyline; that way you don't get the tarp billowing and flapping up and down. Ideally you can also stake the middle of the side of the tarp down, too. The tarp will still move but not those big flap-snaps that are hard to sleep through.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie shard View Post
    I actually prefer being perpendicular to the wind. Being inline means a lot of wind-blown rain can get in.

Site selection is the biggest influence -- #1 safe trees! #2 out of the wind. (Better to have safe trees and deal with wind than the other way around.) Doors do help. Ridgeline under tarp does help. Rigging everything close to the ground minimizes the power of the wind, too.

One thing that really helps is staking the corners out with one guyline and down with another guyline; that way you don't get the tarp billowing and flapping up and down. Ideally you can also stake the middle of the side of the tarp down, too. The tarp will still move but not those big flap-snaps that are hard to sleep through.
    I agree, hanging/pitching perpendicular to the wind is the best way to deal with it. This is one of the many reasons why I prefer a wide tarp. It allows me to stake it out almost at ground level to help minimize gusts coming through. And you can accomplish this while still maintaining a respectable amount of headroom.

Another key point that may or may not have been already mentioned, is having the right kind of stakes. I like to carry a mix of Ti shepherd hooks and Y stakes, so I'm able to securely stake my tarp depending on wind and soil conditions.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There is wind and there is WIND. If your tarp has doors or the end pointing towards the wind is close to the tree for blockage, very little rain will get in. And you also have a smaller surface area to the weather. My experience with the ridgeline perpendicular was the WIND fiercely blew the tarp sides into the hammock. I had side pulls, but I mostly use them with external pole mods to open up the interior. When I turned the tarps (ThunderFly and SuperFly) parallel to the WIND, the aerodynamics provided lift - pulling the sides away from the hammock. I had to adjust the stakes to accommodate that additional upward tug.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-23-2022 at 14:58.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    There is wind and there is WIND. If your tarp has doors or the end pointing towards the wind is close to the tree for blockage, very little rain will get in. And you also have a smaller surface area to the weather. My experience with the ridgeline perpendicular was the WIND fiercely blew the tarp sides into the hammock. I had side pulls, but I mostly use them with external pole mods to open up the interior. When I turned the tarps (ThunderFly and SuperFly) parallel to the WIND, the aerodynamics provided lift - pulling the sides away from the hammock. I had to adjust the stakes to accommodate that additional upward tug.
    I never thought of the shape as a sort of crudely formed airfoil when it's positioned that way, but you're right it does make sense that would happen. I try to stake as close to the ground regardless of the conditions but often enough I still need to tighten my lines, even without the WIND.
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thankfully, this was just wind, no rain. It rained a bit during the afternoon, but that rain was NOT accompanied by wind. So, with all my gear in the hammock, everything stayed nice and dry.

The tarp I had with me isn't particularly wide, and only has corner tie-outs, so my options were pretty limited at the time. In the future, I'm going to keep my larger/winter tarp (which has center tie-outs and side pull-outs) in my "emergency gear" box - and make sure it gets back into the truck!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    "Whan Zephyrus eek with his sweete breath, inspired hath in every holt and heath.."
    The wind doth what the wind will.
    Shug the Breeze

All we are is Dust in the Wind.

MOST impressive!!!!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12