New to hanging in MI

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to hanging for camping, but have learned it is so much more comfy on my gen X self than an air mattress. (Actually, I'm to the point of sleeping in mine on a stand at home as it's better on my back than my bed.) I've been watching all the videos I can, am already addicted to Shug's sense of humor and how he explains EVERYTHING and doesn't assume even though I'm a cub scout leader that I actually know how to tie/name any type of a knot past square. He's already sold me on the idea of some fun shaped rope gadgets as soon as I have spare cash (maybe after I finish buying gear for current sports season. Why must kids grow so fast?) I've done my share of tent camping, but am loving how much easier it is on me to set up a couple hammocks than a giant tent.
    I am working hard right now on preparing for a spring break trip with my son (almost 10) and making sure we stay warm with night lows looking to be 35-40F. Thank you to everyone that has all the posts on how to manage this. I'm testing a few things at home before we go out and have a more experienced friend joining us the 1st weekend to help us get set up and make sure we are going to be good to go. This will be the earliest in the year and also my 1st time NOT staying in a regular campground (they don't even open until May here), so I think it should be a fun challenge. (We also know that if things go too far south, we can go home early. We are going from car, not a good long hiking trip.)
    When I'm not outdoors (mainly in the more frigid parts of the year because I live where it hurts to breathe) I'm usually making crafts, gaming on my computer, and waiting on phone calls from my older son (active duty Army).

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Syrensilly, have fun hammock camping. You are smart to have a friend help you get set up on your first campout in woods. Car camping will be good too.
    When possible, try to have a hammock at least 11 feet long, for your comfort.
    Insulation is necessary to have and learn to use.

Mainly, enjoy reaching hammock nirvana. Lots of hammock campers on Hammock Forums, in your great state.

Hammock
    Onewind Double (11 ft)
    Tarp
    Ridge Outdoors
    Insulation
    UQ, Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    buckles/Onewind
    Welcome, I also hang in Northeast Lower MI. So far, just in my woods as I get better at setting things up and testing my equipment. But I have a few trips planned to some local state forests on my ebike to hang overnight.
    Have fun.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Welcome from the other side of the mitten.

Lots of great places to hang north of you.

• + New Posts