WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Wookie clone question

I was just wondering about something........ for anyone out there who has made a wookie clone underquilt. Do i make the width exactly the same as the hammock- wider? Narrower? On the original wb design, how does the width compare to the hammock? Thx!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What I did was to basically make my first layer the same way I made a hammock only a little shorter running shock cord through the end channels. Then I sewed the baffles at the angle that I lay at (head left / feet right). There are things I could have done better but I’m happy with the way it turned out. image.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used Argon 90 from Dutch and kept it the full width with generous hems

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    I used Argon 90 from Dutch and kept it the full width with generous hems
    Thanks for the info! So, Ive got a dutchware 12 foot hammock- its 68 inches wide. Do I make the wookie exactly the same width? Also for a 12 foot hammock,how long should i make the wookie?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I haven’t made a lot of UQs but Argon 90 is 58 - 60 inches wide and I wouldn’t think you would need to go any wider. It’s all just extra fabric weight and I’m thinking it all depends on how much of an angle you lie in your hammock. Traditional UQs are only about 48 inches wide I think anyways. As far as length, that I’m not sure on. I like having my UQ go pretty much to the ends of my hammock but I would probably make it about 10 1/2 to fit an 11 foot hammock which would probably work on your 12 foot as well so that if you get more hammocks and one is an 11 footer, it would work with that. Just use a longer shock cord through the end channel. Again, to save on fabric weight.

There are things I could have done better but I’m happy with the way it turned out. image.jpg
    What is it you wished you'd have done differently?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First, my wookie is tapered to the foot end which minimizes the amount of material and down used whereas I went with the same width from head to foot. The other thing is that I didn’t allow enough for the baffle height on the head and foot ends. But still, it works pretty well so I’m happy with it.

First, my wookie is tapered to the foot end which minimizes the amount of material and down used whereas I went with the same width from head to foot.
    I'm not sure what you mean. By taper are you saying that the depth changes from the head to the foot? Like, the baffle height is 3" at the shoulder, but it's 1" at the foot end?

Or, do you mean that you tapered the width from head to foot, but you wish you hadn't?

Sorry for being dense. I'm just looking to follow the wisdom of those that came before!

The other thing is that I didn’t allow enough for the baffle height on the head and foot ends. But still, it works pretty well so I’m happy with it.
    Didn't allow enough what? Fabric? Like that extra bit you need around the outside for a box baffle? So, this means that the outside baffles don't have the volume that was originally intended.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Thanks for the info! So, Ive got a dutchware 12 foot hammock- its 68 inches wide. Do I make the wookie exactly the same width? Also for a 12 foot hammock,how long should i make the wookie?
    In my experience, you won't need a wider Wooki for a wider hammock. I made my first Wooki-style underquilt 63" wide, and was surprised that the sides came up around me like a taco. I decreased the width of the next underquilts gradually to 55" and they still cover me well in my widest hammocks. I don't know why, but it seems that the underquilt does not spread in the same way the hammock does.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    By taper I mean the width at the head end is wider than the foot. Mine is the same at both ends here the ‘real’ wookie I have is wider at the head end than the foot which would save on the amount of down I would have needed. And yes, I didn’t allow enough fabric at the ends to cover the baffle height

• + New Posts