Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    If you're use duel poles on the inside then there is no reason for doors clipped to the inside should be in the way, just run them behind the poles.

I always had my doors to the inside and then I started doing a couple of poles over the ridgeline to the pull-outs . . . the doors stayed in the same line as when I was just pitching the tarp A-frame style and that left them in the way and the inside feeling small. So I put them to the outside . . . it rained and I had to go out into the rain to unhook them . . . not good.
    The I did the double poles on the inside. Not only was there a lot more room but I could tuck the doors between the tarp and the poles.
    So double pole mod and doors still on the inside but not in the way, that was a win for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    If you're use duel poles on the inside then there is no reason for doors clipped to the inside should be in the way, just run them behind the poles.

I always had my doors to the inside and then I started doing a couple of poles over the ridgeline to the pull-outs . . . the doors stayed in the same line as when I was just pitching the tarp A-frame style and that left them in the way and the inside feeling small. So I put them to the outside . . . it rained and I had to go out into the rain to unhook them . . . not good.
    The I did the double poles on the inside. Not only was there a lot more room but I could tuck the doors between the tarp and the poles.
    So double pole mod and doors still on the inside but not in the way, that was a win for me.
    Do u need something special sowed on ur tarp to put the
    poles on the inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    LowTech, what tarp and how long are your poles? I’m guessing you’re connecting to the guy points at the ends of the tarp? Is this a retro-fit, adding beasties (D-rings with holes for pole pins) at the guy point? I’m curious about the way to determine the interior pole length. Like would it be just the distance between to two connection points or is there some length adjustment because of the curve?

And I think those “two poles at the ends” systems have a way of holding the top of the pole arch in place?

If you’ve tried the single interior pole in the middle, does the “poles at the ends” make a significant difference over that?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

Yup...
    Yes, canoe camping lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    Yes, canoe camping lol
    You read my mind!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    LowTech, what tarp and how long are your poles? I’m guessing you’re connecting to the guy points at the ends of the tarp? Is this a retro-fit, adding beasties (D-rings with holes for pole pins) at the guy point? I’m curious about the way to determine the interior pole length. Like would it be just the distance between to two connection points or is there some length adjustment because of the curve?

And I think those “two poles at the ends” systems have a way of holding the top of the pole arch in place?

If you’ve tried the single interior pole in the middle, does the “poles at the ends” make a significant difference over that?
    @st4hangin , Cougarmeat has the technique right.
    @cougarmeat , I have a Onewind 12' tarp and they sell it w/ more than you would ever need already attached and it is a retro-fit.
    Otherwise I would (and still may) add the Beastie D's to the guy out points as they are better than what I have on there. You have to measure all the way to the hole in the D's
    I used a straight point to point measurement for length and then got as close as I could w/ the length they sold the pole sections in. If it's a little bit long then the "hoop" of the poles will need to lean towards the tree or towards the center, which can be fine.
    Then I ran an interior ridgeline from the ridgeline tie out points on the inside and put two prussic loops on it. Each hoop of poles goes through one of them. They allow me to adjust not only where the hoop is but how tight it is (straight up being the tightest).

I haven't used a single pole, just two shorter ones over the ridgeline to the pull-outs. Using those it kind of feels like a cabin shape, using the two poles hooped on the inside makes it feel like a quonset hut.
    Also just letting out both of the guy lines on one side turns it into instant porch mode.

In this pic I have them more towards the center but I tend to use them curved towards the ends.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yeah, with the addition of beasties, if the pole is a little too long, you could lengthen the cord used to add the beasties to the original D-Rings. Though I’ve tried, I haven’t found a way to cut a pole longer after the initial cut. At one time I bought some stuff from Quest or another tent pole vendor to make my own. The little “pipe” cutter made fast work to size the poles and just a few swipes of a file smoothed the edges enough. My mistake was misreading the suggested percent of stretch to put in the interior bungee. Considering the effort - both hands and both feet - needed to wrangle the poles, stretch the bungee, and wriggle the end piece with knoted cord inside the pole - It reminded me of when I was a little kid and exercise equipment was metal springs on handles.

I don’t know why I fuss about interior space so much. At camp, I am out playing or in the hammock sleeping. Porch mode has been good enough, even in the rain. With kayaking, I don’t plan to go out if there is any fierce weather so I am seldom “tent/hammock bound”.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Yeah, with the addition of beasties, if the pole is a little too long, you could lengthen the cord used to add the beasties to the original D-Rings. Though I’ve tried, I haven’t found a way to cut a pole longer after the initial cut. At one time I bought some stuff from Quest or another tent pole vendor to make my own. The little “pipe” cutter made fast work to size the poles and just a few swipes of a file smoothed the edges enough. My mistake was misreading the suggested percent of stretch to put in the interior bungee. Considering the effort - both hands and both feet - needed to wrangle the poles, stretch the bungee, and wriggle the end piece with knoted cord inside the pole - It reminded me of when I was a little kid and exercise equipment was metal springs on handles.

I don’t know why I fuss about interior space so much. At camp, I am out playing or in the hammock sleeping. Porch mode has been good enough, even in the rain. With kayaking, I don’t plan to go out if there is any fierce weather so I am seldom “tent/hammock bound”.
    So true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12