Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images

How do I store this continuous ridgeline? | Untangling this is driving me crazy!

When I got my Winterdream 12 I also picked up UGQ's continuous ridgeline. As far as using the ridgeline goes, I absolutely love it. It's very easy to set up and I love being able to use the moving toggles to position the tarp just right. But I've yet to find a way to store it that doesn't result in it being terribly tangled when I take it out again. It drives me absolutely nuts and has been stressful/frustrating trying to de-tangle it when I'm out in the cold. Those moving toggles in particular seem destined to intertwine amongst the ridgeline, causing havoc and migraines.

On the last trip my buddy suggested just storing it in the snake skins along with the tarp. That sounded brilliant to me and I tried it when I got home. But that didn't work because having the weight of the tarp already attached to the ridgeline made it too difficult to set up ridgeline. I would have had to detach the tarp from the ridgeline after pulling back the snake skin which would sort of defeat the purpose of keeping the tarp in the snakeskin to begin with.

So if anyone has any suggestions I would certainly appreciate it! Below is a picture of the ridgeline in question, looking innocent but don't be fooled.

I like using a separate tarp ridgeline and I like to keep pack it separately from my tarp.

Check out this thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...w-tangled-mess
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-17-2022 at 10:49.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This tangling is the reason I went away from using cont ridgeline and just go with two lines off my tarp. Centering is an easy process.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I like using a separate tarp ridgeline and I like to keep pack it separately from my tarp.

Check out this thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...w-tangled-mess
    Thanks much. Maybe the solution will just be sliding both of the toggles off to one side. A very simple solution that didn't even cross my mind!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I also favor the split ridgeline over continuous. Once you've hung your tarp over the hammock a few times, you'll be able to eyeball how much overhang there should be on each end. So all you have to do is set the first end of the tarp with (roughly) that amount of overhang, and then the other side will be good once you tighten everything up. And you won't have to re-center anything.

Try coiling it in a figure 8. Watch starting at 13:20 of this video. This is how I do it and I start by moving the toggles to one end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x_U2JoSHUM

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I dont get why you have to detach the tarp from the CRL in the first place. You say the weight of the tarp makes it difficult to set up...start with the fixed end first, then keep it all under tension while walking to the opposite tree. Run the line around, adjust and lock it down. How heavy is that tarp?

The whole point of this type of ridgeline is to be able to put it up without having to also deal with having the tarp attached. The OP isn't looking to change over to what someone else prefers. He wants to make what he has work well and to work simply.

I like having a RL I can then attach ANY tarp to...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I dont get why you have to detach the tarp from the CRL in the first place. You say the weight of the tarp makes it difficult to set up...start with the fixed end first, then keep it all under tension while walking to the opposite tree. Run the line around, adjust and lock it down. How heavy is that tarp?
    I also don't see how the weight of the tarp makes it more difficult to set up. The video looks pretty straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIilwYJkoTM&t=2s

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    The whole point of this type of ridgeline is to be able to put it up without having to also deal with having the tarp attached. The OP isn't looking to change over to what someone else prefers. He wants to make what he has work well and to work simply.

I like having a RL I can then attach ANY tarp to...
    No, I get it...but he also mentioned that he did try using the snakeskins and leaving it attached, hence my post. But, to deal with the CRL tangle...go with the figure 8 wrap that Monty posted. I do that with my split ridgelines and guylines.

I went with Stingerz and split ridgelines for the rest of my tarps. Ain't a fan of prussiks on Zing it. Just too lazy to switch out the CRL on my main tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast