Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd1983 View Post
    That's a nice idea but I don't think it will work with the loopaliens and toggles on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I dont get why you have to detach the tarp from the CRL in the first place. You say the weight of the tarp makes it difficult to set up...start with the fixed end first, then keep it all under tension while walking to the opposite tree. Run the line around, adjust and lock it down. How heavy is that tarp?
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I also don't see how the weight of the tarp makes it more difficult to set up. The video looks pretty straightforward.
    I tried it with the tarp attached but found it very difficult to do. With the tarp pulling on the ridgeline it's a lot harder if not impossible. I basically have to hold the tarp up with one hand and then try to fix the line through the loopalien with the other. It's very awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by monty33 View Post
    Try coiling it in a figure 8. Watch starting at 13:20 of this video. This is how I do it and I start by moving the toggles to one end.
    I think this will be the way to go. It seemed to work well. Moving the toggles to one end is a little less than ideal and I still have to be careful unravelling it is but definitely better than spending 10 minutes spewing profanity. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    That's a nice idea but I don't think it will work with the loopaliens and toggles on the line.

I tried it with the tarp attached but found it very difficult to do. With the tarp pulling on the ridgeline it's a lot harder if not impossible. I basically have to hold the tarp up with one hand and then try to fix the line through the loopalien with the other. It's very awkward.

I think this will be the way to go. It seemed to work well. Moving the toggles to one end is a little less than ideal and I still have to be careful unravelling it is but definitely better than spending 10 minutes spewing profanity. Thanks all!
    I have also done the figure 8 without moving the toggles but with varying success. I use a dutch hook and wasp, and I'll start the figure 8 with the wasp side with the toggles pinched in my hand and run the figure 8 to the hook side and use the last foot or so to wrap it all up.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Regardless the type of tarp suspension you choose, great care must be taken when packing your tarp ridgeline(s) for travel and storage.

If a twist is imparted for each coil or wrap, then when the suspension is unfurled for the next use, the line has multiple twists. These twists are aggravating, cause spontaneous knots, and any knots you tie, (if you tie knots) are subject to jamming when an attempt to untie them is made on pack up morning.

This jamming can cause sudden abilities to shout out in foreign languages!

When wrapping suspension cord for packing and storing, some types of wrapping cord are better than others, for preventing twisting, excess kinks, and spontaneous knots in the cord.

Although I don’t use the figure8 wrap, I believe it can be done without imparting a twist in cord for each figure8 pass. I don’t use figure8 wrap because I’ve not learned it.

I use an accordion style wrap, folding cord back and forth rapidly in my hand. It’s secured with just a few coils when there is just a bit of cord left.
    It’s finished with a slipped bight double crossed under the last coil.

Good luck
    Have fun out there

PS I also have a way to rapidly pack up long lengths of larger diameter rope.
    Maybe it will work for 25 to 50 feet of rope.

I double the rope, I double it again, and again, as many times as it takes to get a three foot bundle of rope.

Then I tie that three foot bundle into an overhand knot. Tighten it a bit. The bundle will now have an overhand knot in the middle. It will pack and store ok, then when you get ready to use rope, untie that one overhand knot, and you’re in business.
    No twists are imparted when using these techniques.

If I got paid to tell lies
    It just wouldn’t be as much fun

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by monty33 View Post
    Try coiling it in a figure 8. Watch starting at 13:20 of this video. This is how I do it and I start by moving the toggles to one end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x_U2JoSHUM
    I agree with this approach, but with a variation that keeps you from having to move one toggle all the way to the opposite end of the CRL and is actually a bit faster to do.

Simply push the toggles to their respective ends (one toggle at one end, the other toggle at the other). Then fold the CRL in half so that the two ends of the CRL with the toggles are together. Put both toggles behind your hand (like the hook in the video) and figure 8 both halves of the line at the same time. Once completed, I usually used a twist tie or small piece of thin (tent pole) shock cord to bind it together instead of tying it onto itself, but the important thing is to have the toggles hang an inch or two longer than the figure 8 bundle when you bind the bundle so that they don't get folded up into the mix (where the tangling can happen). When you go to uncoil the CRL, simply hang on to the two toggles, unbind, and toss out the rest of the line.

This works equally well with hardware like Dutch Wasps and figure 9s (which I used) or loop aliens (which I tried).

I too have gone the way of split ridgelines over a CRL. But this is the approach I used when I was still using a CRL with hardware and I never had tangles.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    Here's what I use so that I never have problems even in windy snow or cold rain when everything goes wrong for me. These are made of that corrugated light plastic, the short one being just longer than my forefinger. Right to left are 25 ft ridgeline with a toggle and sliding compression / button knot thingies, 50 ft yellow and 50 ft reflective orange Z-Pack thin line, and 6-10 foot tarp tie-outs. All I do is let it fall and unwrap as I rig the line. Figure 8 around the fingers works well, but I've had a tangle once when I was careless in crummy weather and not doing that again for this purpose.

Also I use small carabiners for 5 ft snow-stake lines in the winter because those short lines never tangle when rigged this way.

(being a grounder I change my setup frequently enough that I don't leave lines attached to my tarp.)

wrapped lines.jpg
    line wrapper.jpg
    Last edited by GeneH; 03-23-2022 at 14:10.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    This jamming can cause sudden abilities to shout out in foreign languages!
    Indeed, the stream of profanity that comes out when I try to detangle the line is something to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    I agree with this approach, but with a variation that keeps you from having to move one toggle all the way to the opposite end of the CRL and is actually a bit faster to do.

Simply push the toggles to their respective ends (one toggle at one end, the other toggle at the other). Then fold the CRL in half so that the two ends of the CRL with the toggles are together. Put both toggles behind your hand (like the hook in the video) and figure 8 both halves of the line at the same time. Once completed, I usually used a twist tie or small piece of thin (tent pole) shock cord to bind it together instead of tying it onto itself, but the important thing is to have the toggles hang an inch or two longer than the figure 8 bundle when you bind the bundle so that they don't get folded up into the mix (where the tangling can happen). When you go to uncoil the CRL, simply hang on to the two toggles, unbind, and toss out the rest of the line.

This works equally well with hardware like Dutch Wasps and figure 9s (which I used) or loop aliens (which I tried).
    Great advice, thank you!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Is this one of those things where you tell the doctor your arm hurts when you do this; and he says, “Stop doing that.”

If you want a continuous ridgeline AND you want to keep your ridgeline detracted from the tarp when not deployed, then you are going to have to manage 25 -35 ft of line. Line is cheap. I don’t move my ridgeline from tarp to tarp. Each has its own. And it’s attached so I don’t forget it - at home or on the trail. There are pluses and minuses to both continuous and split. It’s sort of, “Choose which issues you want to deal with.” You can find light (not UL light - that’s called fingers) plastic kite string holders in the estores. One of those would give you something light, with structure, you could wind your ridgeline on.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I agree with cougarmeat, in keeping tarp ridgeline attached to tarp. It would be to easy to forget to pack a separate line. And with a separate line, you would have to connect line to tarp each time you set up tarp and disconnect each time you break camp.

I keep double ended stuff sack on tarp ridgeline. When breaking camp, tarp is stuffed into double ended stuff sack. I do a rapid accordion wrap on line that is extending from ends of tarp. Then I push this wadded up handful of line into stuff sack. The wadded up line is not secured with any coils. Repeat for other end of stuff sack and line.

I leave a foot of line sticking out each end of stuff sack. It always deploys smoothly with no twists, tangles, or knots.

I can be wrong, but I think the cause of tangled ridgeline, is from coiling ridgeline when packing up.
    Then when unpacking, the line is pulled from end of coil, rather than unrolling it. Can this cause one twist in the line for each wrap around your hand?

I think figure8 wrap is good for tangle free line.
    I’ve not learned to do figure8 wrap.
    So I do a rapid accordion wrap instead.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Figure 8 wrap is how we do it, we have soft shackles and Dutch bling and never had a problem with tangles

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast