Stake suggestions for hammock stand?

I apologize if this is covered somewhere or I am posting in the wrong location - I tried to search but couldn't find much.

I am looking at lighter hammock stands for backpacking which require stakes that hold weight (so not a tensahedron type stand). I know the best option is to use already existing/stable anchor points, but want to make sure I have stakes that are an option if needed. I live in AZ, so hard dry ground is abundant. I also do some backpacking in WA where my backpacking buddy lives, so that's more likely to be soft/loose soil.

I plan to get a few different types to try out, but would like to have some starting points to go off of. I am trying to find the best option for the least weight, but obviously functionality is ultimately the most important. Any suggestions or experiences with stakes for this purpose would be much appreciated!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Perhaps Boom Stakes~~
    https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...v=7516fd43adaa

See then at 2:55 in video below.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When I had a semi permanent stand setup I ended up going with some ground anchors like this - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vortex-1...RG-A/202703687

I have fairly loose soil though so I had to go overkill a bit.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Stake suggestions for hammock stand?

Quote Originally Posted by AgnesD View Post
    I am looking at lighter hammock stands for backpacking which require stakes that hold weight (so not a tensahedron type stand). I know the best option is to use already existing/stable anchor points, but want to make sure I have stakes that are an option if needed. I live in AZ, so hard dry ground is abundant. I also do some backpacking in WA where my backpacking buddy lives, so that's more likely to be soft/loose soil.

I plan to get a few different types to try out, but would like to have some starting points to go off of. I am trying to find the best option for the least weight, but obviously functionality is ultimately the most important. Any suggestions or experiences with stakes for this purpose would be much appreciated!
    Today I finish section A of the PCT using Tensa Trekking Treez, tree-sparse desert, and I have been very happy with a new type of screw anchor, which we (Tensa) are testing as an option alongside our present Boomstakes and Orange Screws. These are lighter than either. I packed also a single 30cmx8mm ti nail to use to make pilot holes for the screws as necessary in super hard ground, but haven’t needed it yet for that. The nail was useful 2 nights ago for a pure rock hang; I wedged it in a cleft as anchor.

New type require a 17mm driver, whether you have one or several anchors.

My goal is to complete the whole PCT without ever going to ground or even sleeping in a bed, which I can’t do anyway anymore. Below is every night so far, not in order, save one where I took only video, no photo (anchoring was to 3 chaparral bushes and 1 new type ground anchor, easy peasy).

All 4 anchors in sandy gravel wash out of Campo

2 scrub oaks, Hauser Canyon

1 Ca Live Oak, 1 pair of screws in soft rooty soil, Boulder Oaks

In lodge at Mt. Laguna. 1 door hinge pin, 2 screws wedged between queen box spring and frame bolted to floor

I’m in this hammock right now typing, listening to turkeys, woodpeckers, quail, mourning doves, scrub jays. Both ends on same Live Oak branch. Heaven. Near Warner Springs.

Pure rock hang near cactus gardens past Scissors Crossing. Tied around rock on head end; ti stake wedged in cleft on foot end. Could maybe have used screws but granite was very sharp; would likely have chewed it up (like it did the dyna-weave on head end)

4 screws in rocky gravel before Scissors Crossing. 1 anchor ripped out before I repositioned after digging to firmer.

1 scrub bush, 3 screws in extremely loose light soil. After i ripped out a dead bush (dead=useless) I used 2 screws in the rooty crater to hold. High winds spinnakered me while in the hammock to about 20° after I sleeved the tarp that was making such a roar I couldn’t sleep. Tarp stakes pulled up repeatedly until I replaced with giant rocks on windward side gathered freezing by headlamp. Most challenging, but all screws held.

1 Ponderosa, 2 screws. Penney Pines.

Contact [email protected] for specifics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 03-17-2022 at 10:49.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Looks like you brought the “big dog” straps for that oak tree. They will be handy when you meet the Ponderosa’s in Oregon. I’ll be curious about your logistics in Oregon. Once I reached Crater Lake (decades and decades ago) the trail when past or near Lake resorts every three days or so. No need for food caches - just bring a credit card. They’ve probably rerouted the trail since then. When you get near Mt. Hood, there’s a trail alternative that was worth while. It takes you past Little Crater Lake - It’s an artesian pond with ice blue clear water. You can see some logs just below the surface - till you read the info plaque an realize they are 40 ft down. There used to be a bench where you could gaze at Mt. Hood. But the bench has been removed and trees have grown up an blocked. You’ll still have plenty of Mt. Hood to see in that section - just not from Little Crater Lake.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Today I finish section A of the PCT using Tensa Trekking Treez, tree-sparse desert, and I have been very happy with a new type of screw anchor, which we (Tensa) are testing as an option alongside our present Boomstakes and Orange Screws. These are lighter than either. I packed also a single 30cmx8mm ti nail to use to make pilot holes for the screws as necessary in super hard ground, but haven’t needed it yet for that. The nail was useful 2 nights ago for a pure rock hang; I wedged it in a cleft as anchor.

New type require a 17mm driver, whether you have one or several anchors.

My goal is to complete the whole PCT without ever going to ground or even sleeping in a bed, which I can’t do anyway anymore. Below is every night so far, not in order, save one where I took only video, no photo (anchoring was to 3 chaparral bushes and 1 new type ground anchor, easy peasy).

All 4 anchors in sandy gravel wash out of Campo

2 scrub oaks, Hauser Canyon

1 Ca Live Oak, 1 pair of screws in soft rooty soil, Boulder Oaks

In lodge at Mt. Laguna. 1 door hinge pin, 2 screws wedged between queen box spring and frame bolted to floor

I’m in this hammock right now typing, listening to turkeys, woodpeckers, quail, mourning doves, scrub jays. Both ends on same Live Oak branch. Heaven. Near Warner Springs.

Pure rock hang near cactus gardens past Scissors Crossing. Tied around rock on head end; ti stake wedged in cleft on foot end. Could maybe have used screws but granite was very sharp; would likely have chewed it up (like it did the dyna-weave on head end)

4 screws in rocky gravel before Scissors Crossing. 1 anchor ripped out before I repositioned after digging to firmer.

1 scrub bush, 3 screws in extremely loose light soil. After i ripped out a dead bush (dead=useless) I used 2 screws in the rooty crater to hold. High winds spinnakered me while in the hammock to about 20° after I sleeved the tarp that was making such a roar I couldn’t sleep. Tarp stakes pulled up repeatedly until I replaced with giant rocks on windward side gathered freezing by headlamp. Most challenging, but all screws held.

1 Ponderosa, 2 screws. Penney Pines.

Contact [email protected] for specifics.

I hope we get to see more of your all-hammock trip! I’m so glad to see it’s possible - I have always worried I’d have to go to ground and dread it, and am excited to explore the options to avoid it.

Any idea when the new stakes will get the seal of approval and become available?

• + New Posts