Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Knots other than becket hitch

That work.

Last fall I saw a friend tie strap to continuous loop.
    He put strap through continuous loop and tied a slipped half hitch on the strap—not on continuous loop. I think he finished it with a half hitch tied in the bight.
    I “corrected” him, and demonstrated a becket hitch
    He said, the way he tied it has never failed.
    Then yesterday at Yates Hang, I saw another friend demonstrate his new way to tie strap to continuous loop.
    He passed strap through continuous loop and strap was tied in a slipped half hitch around itself (not around continuous loop)
    Then he daisy chained the slipped half hitch.

That’s it! He said it does not slip and does not jam!
    He demonstrated fast easy untie after hanging for two nights.

Both my friends tied very similar knots-hitches.
    I might not remember exactly how knot was tied last fall. They were different from one another, but had similarities.

I might play with this new, to me, way to tie strap to continuous loop.
    If I’m more open minded, maybe I can learn new ways to defy gravity.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Ta-da! Look ma, no hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Quote Originally Posted by Need2noCallahan View Post
    Ta-da! Look ma, no hands!

I think I shall design a knot and I will call it “The Phantom Menace.”

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Need2noCallahan, I’m impressed with your new creation.
    If anyone names your new suspension knot-hitch, it should be you.
    Before you demonstrated your knot at Yates, I’d not seen it, used as hammock suspension—anywhere.

Maybe you can make YouTube video showing your new knot application.

After seeing it, I still can’t believe it!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I have seen a slipped half hitch, but have never seen a slipped half hitch secured with one daisy chain stitch!

Phantom can see more of our world by keeping mouth shut, and eyes open.

Need2noCallahan, thank you for introducing your innovation.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    That work.

Last fall I saw a friend tie strap to continuous loop.
    He put strap through continuous loop and tied a slipped half hitch on the strap—not on continuous loop. I think he finished it with a half hitch tied in the bight.
    I “corrected” him, and demonstrated a becket hitch
    He said, the way he tied it has never failed...........................
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you are describing(these things can be hard to put into words), but this sounds like what I have been doing for the last 15 years. And what I have occasionally been telling folks about. Sometimes in threads about Becket hitch and J Bend.

And it has, like with your friend, never failed to hold me and also easily come undone when time to adjust or pack up. Claytor calls it a slipped 1/2 hitch. With a back up hitch. But, that back up has never been needed, as far as I can remember. I played with the other knots just for fun, but have never figured out why I need anything other than this. I suppose how well it works might vary with the strap or rope you are using it with, but whatever I have tried it with( which is not everything) has worked just fine: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-14-2022 at 16:52.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    BillyBob58, your knot is very similar to the first knot I saw my friend tie at Grayson Highlands.
    The strap goes through continuous loop on end of hammock. Then strap folds back on itself (only itself, not around both straps, coming off tree.

But he tied a slipped half hitch and then made it more secure when he tied an additional half hitch with the bight or bunny rabbit ear.

Same knot you show, but strap gets tied in a slipped half hitch around only itself.

The knot I saw this week at Yates, I’ve not seen before.
    The strap goes through continuous loop on end of hammock. Then it folds back on itself. A slipped half hitch is tied around that single strap coming from the tree. After the slipped half hitch is hand tightened, a single stitch of daisy chain is applied to the bunny rabbit ear or bight. That chain stitch is also hand tightened after original bunny rabbit ear from slipped half hitch is pulled so that it “disappears”! Really it cinches down on the chain stitch—also called daisy chain.

Only one daisy chain stitch is needed.

The proof is in the pudding
    If the hammock stays up, over time, then that knot-hitch, is a winner.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    BillyBob58, your knot is very similar to the first knot I saw my friend tie at Grayson Highlands.
    The strap goes through continuous loop on end of hammock. Then strap folds back on itself (only itself, not around both straps, coming off tree.

But he tied a slipped half hitch and then made it more secure when he tied an additional half hitch with the bight or bunny rabbit ear.

Same knot you show, but strap gets tied in a slipped half hitch around only itself.

The knot I saw this week at Yates, I’ve not seen before.
    The strap goes through continuous loop on end of hammock. Then it folds back on itself. A slipped half hitch is tied around that single strap coming from the tree. After the slipped half hitch is hand tightened, a single stitch of daisy chain is applied to the bunny rabbit ear or bight. That chain stitch is also hand tightened after original bunny rabbit ear from slipped half hitch is pulled so that it “disappears”! Really it cinches down on the chain stitch—also called daisy chain.

Only one daisy chain stitch is needed.

The proof is in the pudding
    If the hammock stays up, over time, then that knot-hitch, is a winner.
    Yep, truth be told, 90% of the time I tie it "not around both straps" as well. Just the one strap. Sometimes when I remember I go around both straps. Not that the single strap has ever failed me, but just because that is how Claytor said to do it. I started doing this when I got one of his hammocks in 2007. I'm still using the original hammock and his original relatively thin black nylon(?) straps on 1 end, waiting for them to break I guess. On the other end, I have a yellow Harbor Freight ratchet strap(hard ware cut off) with a cinch buckle, strap rated originally for 1500 lbs. It looks mighty frayed on the edges in a couple of spots where I was careless a couple of times over all those years and did not make sure that the cinch buckle was adjusted correctly and straight, and also used no back up hitch, and I took a slow ride to the ground. Frayed but still holding! I probably should be nervous about using both of these straps, the original Claytor and the HF ratchet.

But I guess the irony is: even though it was user error, the only time I was ever put gently on the ground was with the cinch buckle, not the 1/2 hitch on the other end, whether or not it had a backup. Also, never any issues getting undone.

Why a cinch buckle on 1 end, stock Claytor on the other? Not sure, it was so long ago. I think I only had 1 cinch buckle, but I wanted one end to be more adjustable and quicker and longer to go around bigger trees. Still on there 15 years later. I either liked the combo for some reason or just didn't get around to it. Maybe next year?

You can just barely make out the black Claytor 1/2 hitch strap/knot on the right, yellow HF strap with cinch buckle on the left, 1st morning on an early Sept Wind River trip probably 2008, with my old faithful Speer Pea Pod around the Claytor No Net hammock. One of my fav combos to this day(though I no longer have the Pea Pod).
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-15-2022 at 16:58.

Images
    This picture shows it better:

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Thanks BillyBob. The old ways return and become new ways.

• + New Posts