Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    So if we conclude that suspension webbing storage is the only remaining issue, maybe incorporate a small DCF or nylon bag, one end of which is attached to one of the the hammock CLs, with a cord lock closure on the other end. An additional benefit is that this attached bag will indicate which is head and foot end. Pity to carry an entire catch-all just for that one strap storage feature.

Lol, thankfully other people are looking out for Mr Straps... But if one doesn't want to rely on the kindness of strangers as a regular habit, IMO it's best to go with the "place for everything, and everything in its place" approach and think in terms of systems. This works for me at home when selecting gear for a trip, well enough that over the years it has replaced a checklist — the process *is* the checklist!
    Yes I was thinking of something like a double stakes bag, one side for stakes, one for straps, hung off one end of the hammock or in pack mesh pocket. with a mittenhook. It’s ironic for thruhikers to leave anything behind, since you do this day after day, but all it takes is something distracting at a key moment to cause this. Perhaps the most common loss is hiking poles in a shuttle,because you’re not immediately using them when you exit the vehicle. The best shuttle drivers remind you of this.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Yes I was thinking of something like a double stakes bag, one side for stakes, one for straps, hung off one end of the hammock or in pack mesh pocket. with a mittenhook. It’s ironic for thruhikers to leave anything behind, since you do this day after day, but all it takes is something distracting at a key moment to cause this. Perhaps the most common loss is hiking poles in a shuttle,because you’re not immediately using them when you exit the vehicle. The best shuttle drivers remind you of this.
    I'm going to check the gear bins because I know I have an extra smallish stuff sack for this purpose. In the interim I could use the bishop bag that's already attached. I keep the stakes with the tarp so that's already solved.

I must confess, I did leave my MYOG hiking poles in a parking lot a few months ago. After getting back from the walk I leaned them up against the vehicle and just drove off without them. Went back more than 24 hours later and they were still there. Silvermine Lake Harriman. Blew my mind. One of the handles had some damage, probably from me driving over it, but I fixed it. I put some labels on them with my name and phone number!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Jeremy built my Raven pack with a top pocket just for suspension and stakes. In fact if any of the outside pockets are empty I've forgoten something
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Jeremy built my Raven pack with a top pocket just for suspension and stakes. In fact if any of the outside pockets are empty I've forgoten something
    "A place for everything" in action!

As I'm sure you do, right before departing I also like to take a quick but thorough look around camp to make sure I haven't missed anything.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    "A place for everything" in action!

As I'm sure you do, right before departing I also like to take a quick but thorough look around camp to make sure I haven't missed anything.
    We call that doing an "idiot check". `cause we'd feel like an idiot if we'd left "that" there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    We call that doing an "idiot check". `cause we'd feel like an idiot if we'd left "that" there.
    Lol good name for it!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Glad to hear it has been working for you. How do you handle the suspension webbing? I could see just stuffing it into a ziploc. How about when conditions are really wet? Maybe not as much of a concern in your drier climate.
    Sorry for the late response. I just returned from a 5 day camping motorcycle trip through Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Great adventure.

For the hammock suspension, I just wrap it around the CLs on either end of the hammock, so nothing fancy. If things are wet, I usually just pack each thing up separately instead of the all-in-one approach.

I have those same task processes/mental checklists too, both at home and on a trip. It's saved my butt several times I'm sure. Packing my pack in a methodical way really helps. Same with motorcycle trips; if I check over the bike and pack it the same way each time, nothing gets forgotten. A big IF I do it the same.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That does sound like a fun trip! Good excuse!!

Thanks, and I figured there's not a lot of mystery around suspension storage. The only thing that would worry me is evergreen sap, which I encounter only about 10% of the time here in the NE. Ziploc is good enough for that.

Regarding packing, I find it funny when people complain about having to dig around in their packs to find something. With "The Process" I know exactly where everything is located, and stuff that I'll need during the day is easily accessible so there's no digging anyway! I'd like to think that this is the way most people approach it.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    If we're going to talk about "the process" of packing, or "everything goes in it's place ", being that I have a very "tiny home" my whole life is that way.
    Everything that comes out of it's place to be used has to go back in it when no longer in use. I really don't have any other place for it to hang out.
    So imagine how frustrating it is when I can't find something.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That does sound like a fun trip! Good excuse!!

Thanks, and I figured there's not a lot of mystery around suspension storage. The only thing that would worry me is evergreen sap, which I encounter only about 10% of the time here in the NE. Ziploc is good enough for that.

Regarding packing, I find it funny when people complain about having to dig around in their packs to find something. With "The Process" I know exactly where everything is located, and stuff that I'll need during the day is easily accessible so there's no digging anyway! I'd like to think that this is the way most people approach it.
    Different types of fun haha, but certainly an adventure. Exactly the thing for the straps. Quite honestly, if there is anything that would preclude everything being all together, I just pack it separate.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    If we're going to talk about "the process" of packing, or "everything goes in it's place ", being that I have a very "tiny home" my whole life is that way.
    Everything that comes out of it's place to be used has to go back in it when no longer in use. I really don't have any other place for it to hang out.
    So imagine how frustrating it is when I can't find something.
    In some ways I would like to 'downsize', but I think my dear schoolteacher wife would have a breakdown of some type. Her classroom stuff needs some very specific storage requirements. I have to keep my stuff in a very specific locations, or else it gets lost, and I have to have a beer (or 2) before I start a search.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast