Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Phantom, you're doing better than many! But your DCF tarp is pretty light and likely there are other things that you might want to cull if you're so inclined. As usual, it starts with a thorough list and a "need" pile and a "want" pile. Shed the wants and minimize the needs and voila! you're there! (If it were so easy... )

With a very solid no-rain forecast, especially with a big high-pressure dome, I might not bring a tarp. But usually it's worth the 10.6oz penalty for the tarp system (total for tarp/cordage/stakes) with base weight still quite light.

For this little trip I was carrying 2 liters of water, because all but the largest running streams are dry now, and with food the TPW was 14.2lb. I didn't weigh food but it was about 1.5lb maybe, so base weight was easily under 9lb. Only excess was a 100wt fleece jacket and Versalite shell that I ended up not using. Low temp was about 70°F so that fleece (about 8oz) was totally not needed... don't know what I was thinking there.
    I’ve switched over to this technique, which I combine with the tarp folding technique in another of your videos. I not only save a couple of ounces on long treks, but the tarp stows much smaller, hence less pack volume. Now I’m reconsidering my mesh hammock sleeve, but I think it is more useful than the tarp sleeve. After long days with a lot of miles it is just so easy to instantly deploy hammock, pillow, and quilts, and then easy to pack up in the morning, shove it into my nylofume bag liner and get going.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > Otherwise I'm a magnet for mosquitoes, which will be swarming me while leaving everybody else alone!

I bet you're invited to a lot of group hangs.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    IÂ’ve switched over to this technique, which I combine with the tarp folding technique in another of your videos. I not only save a couple of ounces on long treks, but the tarp stows much smaller, hence less pack volume. Now IÂ’m reconsidering my mesh hammock sleeve, but I think it is more useful than the tarp sleeve. After long days with a lot of miles it is just so easy to instantly deploy hammock, pillow, and quilts, and then easy to pack up in the morning, shove it into my nylofume bag liner and get going.
    I ordered one of SLD’s carry-alls based on your review and recommendation. It’s greatly sped-up my deployment and morning packing routine while on trail. While it adds a few ounces to my pack, the trade off in efficiency is worth it. I like cmoulder’s ingenuity on this tarp management system but I think it’s better suited to DCF material. The slicker silpoly material seems harder to gather around the guy lines and control with shock cord. And they don’t themselves to fold n pack methods which means your still stuffing them into a stuff sack or into snake skins. The other benefit is DCF packs away dry with a good shake, and I find it easier to pull skins over wet silpoly than stuff it back into a sack.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I ordered one of SLD’s carry-alls based on your review and recommendation. It’s greatly sped-up my deployment and morning packing routine while on trail. While it adds a few ounces to my pack, the trade off in efficiency is worth it. I like cmoulder’s ingenuity on this tarp management system but I think it’s better suited to DCF material. The slicker silpoly material seems harder to gather around the guy lines and control with shock cord. And they don’t themselves to fold n pack methods which means your still stuffing them into a stuff sack or into snake skins. The other benefit is DCF packs away dry with a good shake, and I find it easier to pull skins over wet silpoly than stuff it back into a sack.
    Good points, I do use a dcf tarp with doors. I also haven’t sunsetted the hammock skin yet, I’m surprised more people aren’t using them, particularly thruhiking hammockers. It creates a contained and compressible ‘bed roll’, and Jarred at SLD makes a great one. However, I’m open to cmoulder coming up with a lighter solution once again, he’s good at this sort of thing.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Good points, I do use a dcf tarp with doors. I also haven’t sunsetted the hammock skin yet, I’m surprised more people aren’t using them, particularly thruhiking hammockers. It creates a contained and compressible ‘bed roll’, and Jarred at SLD makes a great one. However, I’m open to cmoulder coming up with a lighter solution once again, he’s good at this sort of thing.
    One possibility for skipping the separate catch-all would be to use the hammock itself as the catch-all, especially hammocks with integrated nets. Put the UQ inside with the TQ, zip it all up and stuff it into the bottom of the pack.

I think I'll give this a whirl next time.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    One possibility for skipping the separate catch-all would be to use the hammock itself as the catch-all, especially hammocks with integrated nets. Put the UQ inside with the TQ, zip it all up and stuff it into the bottom of the pack.

I think I'll give this a whirl next time.
    This is exactly how I use my WB Eldorado. Toss everything inside, zip up the net and more or less roll it up/stuff it into the pack.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Dutchm used some Kam snaps on his underquilt to convert it into a slug when needed. I have been playing with this idea but haven’t yet tried this.

Combine an Under Quilt Protector and Lazy Slug?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    This is exactly how I use my WB Eldorado. Toss everything inside, zip up the net and more or less roll it up/stuff it into the pack.
    Glad to hear it has been working for you. How do you handle the suspension webbing? I could see just stuffing it into a ziploc. How about when conditions are really wet? Maybe not as much of a concern in your drier climate.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    Dutchm used some Kam snaps on his underquilt to convert it into a slug when needed. I have been playing with this idea but haven’t yet tried this.

Combine an Under Quilt Protector and Lazy Slug?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definitely something to ponder... leave UQ attached and just gather up everything else inside the UQ, which makes for the simplest possible take-down and deployment and zero extra gear.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Glad to hear it has been working for you. How do you handle the suspension webbing? I could see just stuffing it into a ziploc. How about when conditions are really wet? Maybe not as much of a concern in your drier climate.

Definitely something to ponder... leave UQ attached and just gather up everything else inside the UQ, which makes for the simplest possible take-down and deployment and zero extra gear.
    I’ve been thinking about this, as the sleeve is made of bugnet just like the hammock stuff, after all. Since I use a yeti quilt I could easily zip that inside, or roll the whole package up in it. It should all compress down in your bag. One thing I like about the SLD hammock sleeve is that it has a pocket for my straps, and you can easily squeeze the air out. On my AT thru I found a surprising number of straps left behind, which of course is a disaster. I managed to reunite one set with its owner, who took the trail name ‘straps’. When I ran into him later, it turned out he had done this twice.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I’ve been thinking about this, as the sleeve is made of bugnet just like the hammock stuff, after all. Since I use a yeti quilt I could easily zip that inside, or roll the whole package up in it. It should all compress down in your bag. One thing I like about the SLD hammock sleeve is that it has a pocket for my straps, and you can easily squeeze the air out. On my AT thru I found a surprising number of straps left behind, which of course is a disaster. I managed to reunite one set with its owner, who took the trail name ‘straps’. When I ran into him later, it turned out he had done this twice.
    So if we conclude that suspension webbing storage is the only remaining issue, maybe incorporate a small DCF or nylon bag, one end of which is attached to one of the the hammock CLs, with a cord lock closure on the other end. An additional benefit is that this attached bag will indicate which is head and foot end. Pity to carry an entire catch-all just for that one strap storage feature.

Lol, thankfully other people are looking out for Mr Straps... But if one doesn't want to rely on the kindness of strangers as a regular habit, IMO it's best to go with the "place for everything, and everything in its place" approach and think in terms of systems. This works for me at home when selecting gear for a trip, well enough that over the years it has replaced a checklist — the process *is* the checklist!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-15-2022 at 06:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast