WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    I ditched my tarp snakeskin also. This method works best if you have a sewing machine, but about 5 strips of "one wrap" or double sided velcro do pretty much the same.

I do not use a continual RL for my tarp, just end lines, but it will work for either way of hanging the tarp. First stretch the tarp out between to supports. Neaten up all the guylines - mine stay attached. Grab both lower corners on one end and fold the doors in and roll tightly until you get to the ridge. Secure the roll in the middle of the tarp with either sewn on (and seam sealed) ties or with the 'one wrap'. Go to the other end and starting with both lower corners roll the rest of the tarp up to the ridge. Now moving from center outward tie or 'one wrap' the rolled tarp with the remaining 2 ties per side. Remove the air as you go.

Not quite as fast as a snakeskin, but otherwise you get all the benefits for almost no extra weight.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yesterday and last night I tried the quilts/hammock all-in-one method discussed above and I must say I'm not a fan.

My usual practice of stuffing the quilts in the bottom of the pack is quick, and deploying the hammock is much easier without the weight of the quilts interfering with judging strap position and making it harder to tie my knots to the CLs. And this is for some very light quilts — 9.7oz TQ and 8.8oz UQ — so I can only imagine things getting worse with fall and, for sure, winter quilts.

This morning when packing up it really didn't make it any faster for me. And it went unusually quickly this morning because I didn't use the tarp last night, what with a solid 0% chance of rain.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yesterday and last night I tried the quilts/hammock all-in-one method discussed above and I must say I'm not a fan.

My usual practice of stuffing the quilts in the bottom of the pack is quick, and deploying the hammock is much easier without the weight of the quilts interfering with judging strap position and making it harder to tie my knots to the CLs. And this is for some very light quilts — 9.7oz TQ and 8.8oz UQ — so I can only imagine things getting worse with fall and, for sure, winter quilts.

This morning when packing up it really didn't make it any faster for me. And it went unusually quickly this morning because I didn't use the tarp last night, what with a solid 0% chance of rain.
    It’s so hot down here I haven’t had a chance to try it out. However, using the sleeve I felt that having a bit of weight on the hammock actually helped me find the best hang angle, as opposed to an empty hammock. I use spider straps with marlin spikes. Once it cools down I’ll try it without the sleeve. My one try with your tarp method worked great.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

I can see that - I think this is definitely a function of individual preference/efficiency plus choice of a particular suspension. Your set-up is light and the Kevlar straps and becket hitch contribute to a lightweight/simple approach.

I still like the mesh hammock skin for quick deployment and packing up, and I’ll put up with the ~3 oz weight penalty for that convenience. I use tree huggers and a UCR slipped over evo loops w/ diamond knot as my CLs, so I tend to hang those first at my usual height and then quick connect to the continuous loops before sliding off the mesh skin. I can easily readjust the UCR tension to change height without struggling with holding up the hammock/quilt bundle. I’ve used it with summer and winter weight quilts and haven’t noticed much difference in set-up, nor does it seem to noticeably alter my pack volume vs. stuffing the individual components into my pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789