Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yes, to me it's really much more about the volume and not so much the 35g weight difference. The snakeskin takes upore than twice the space of the zigzag fold n roll technique.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I do the “flat pinwheel” roll with my DCF tarp with snakeskins included. I can get my 12’ tarp rolled pretty small in fact, maybe 10”x6”x3” - wrap the loose CRL around the pinwheel. Slides into its original DCF sack with ease with no forcing.

Not saying it’s anything like the packability of your method (I’ve seen you pack up first hand), but I prefer the sleeves over not having them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Indeed, plenty of latitude for individual preferences! You've had your style and kit well tuned for a long time so no need to change what works.

I nearly always have the tarp fully deployed when I settle in, so I don't know how frequently I'll use it myself. Great for trips with more camp time with perhaps some intermittent lounging during the afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    I fully set my tarp up and stake out all the guy outs. To relax and get a piece of the sky I just unhook one side of the tarp, flip it over the CLR and hook them into the guy line stakes on the opposite side. No its not a full view but sitting sideways in the hammock the front and above me is fully exposed and both sides are staked behind me. Easy to flip back over and ready to go for the night.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The conditions were finally right for me to actually use this tarp deployment method.

As mentioned above, I'm not big on stargazing from the hammock so normally I just pitch the tarp and it's done. However, a couple of nights ago it was very warm and I needed every bit of ventilation I could get with the integrated net hammock. It was also very buggy so the netted hammock was quite necessary. For a while I slept only in a very light shirt and shorts, using no TQ and with UQ shoved to the side, so without the full net the bugs really would've chowed down on me!

Fortunately it didn't rain all night so I didn't have to extend the tarp during the wee hours, but it was nice knowing it was there. And in the morning I woke up without my watch alarm around 4:50am due to the light from the sky, which is normally diminished by the tarp, even a translucent DCF tarp. Made coffee (Black Rifle instant!) and needed the headlamp for only a couple of minutes or so.

“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    One day, for a quick ultralight overnight, I might not bring tarp, and chance cowboy hammock camping.
    If I toss some gear out of my pack, maybe I could solo overnight with a pack under 10 pounds.

I know there are some ultralight hammock campers that bring their tarp and all needed gear and still are under 10 pounds total pack weight.

Last trip was just under 17 pounds with food, but no water.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    One day, for a quick ultralight overnight, I might not bring tarp, and chance cowboy hammock camping.
    If I toss some gear out of my pack, maybe I could solo overnight with a pack under 10 pounds.

I know there are some ultralight hammock campers that bring their tarp and all needed gear and still are under 10 pounds total pack weight.

I think it's very possible. Where my kit is at the moment a good 30% of my weight if not more when I carry my food cannister is food and water. Generally I pack for 3-4 days food. Only doing a 2 day overnighter seems like half the food and maybe less depending on how far I'll be hiking. At that rate I'll still probably be bringing consumables home with me.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    cmoulder, do you treat your net with permethrin? It's something I "think" I'm going to do every summer be we don't have much of a bug problem locally so I haven't had the necessary motivation.

With an untreated net, They may not bite but they can still buzz. And if an arm or other skin part presses against the net, they get a meal. So that "Go Away" treatment seems worth it - if it works?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post

Phantom, you're doing better than many! But your DCF tarp is pretty light and likely there are other things that you might want to cull if you're so inclined. As usual, it starts with a thorough list and a "need" pile and a "want" pile. Shed the wants and minimize the needs and voila! you're there! (If it were so easy... )

With a very solid no-rain forecast, especially with a big high-pressure dome, I might not bring a tarp. But usually it's worth the 10.6oz penalty for the tarp system (total for tarp/cordage/stakes) with base weight still quite light.

For this little trip I was carrying 2 liters of water, because all but the largest running streams are dry now, and with food the TPW was 14.2lb. I didn't weigh food but it was about 1.5lb maybe, so base weight was easily under 9lb. Only excess was a 100wt fleece jacket and Versalite shell that I ended up not using. Low temp was about 70°F so that fleece (about 8oz) was totally not needed... don't know what I was thinking there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I think it's very possible. Where my kit is at the moment a good 30% of my weight if not more when I carry my food cannister is food and water. Generally I pack for 3-4 days food. Only doing a 2 day overnighter seems like half the food and maybe less depending on how far I'll be hiking. At that rate I'll still probably be bringing consumables home with me.
    Lol, I *still* bring home extra food no matter how well I think I've calculated it!

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    cmoulder, do you treat your net with permethrin? It's something I "think" I'm going to do every summer be we don't have much of a bug problem locally so I haven't had the necessary motivation.

With an untreated net, They may not bite but they can still buzz. And if an arm or other skin part presses against the net, they get a meal. So that "Go Away" treatment seems worth it - if it works?
    I don't treat anything with permethrin. Not paranoid about the chemical, but I must use DEET on exposed skin, which works well enough for me. At some point, years ago, I treated some clothing with permethrin (Martin's diluted to ~2%... IIRC) but have not done so since then. Had a few buzzing bugs the other night but not enough to bother me. I also didn't get bit through the hammock (MTN 1.2), and I still can't explain why some folks do and I don't. Otherwise I'm a magnet for mosquitoes, which will be swarming me while leaving everybody else alone!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Probably just trying to finish off picking those UL bones clean, if you were to ask me.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast