Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Lol! I read the title and thought “ditch the snakeskins?! What horror!!!” I actually think that’s a pretty cool idea though. If my snakeskin weighed more than an ounce and added any bulk, I’d be tempted to try it. Before I made my snakeskin, I started to try something similar, if not a more crude version, by tying string along the length. Your idea is much better.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Lol! I read the title and thought “ditch the snakeskins?! What horror!!!” I actually think that’s a pretty cool idea though. If my snakeskin weighed more than an ounce and added any bulk, I’d be tempted to try it. Before I made my snakeskin, I started to try something similar, if not a more crude version, by tying string along the length. Your idea is much better.
    I got a chance to use it on the trail last night and found it quite practical. However, rain was in the forecast — it arrived about 3am — so I fully deployed the tarp before settling in for the night. Also had a bright full (or nearly so) moon at the start of the evening, which was was blocked somewhat by gathering clouds around 1am.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    That picture really shows the system well! I've got some questions about the shock cord and biners, but I will go back and read the OP and view the videos first and see if can find the answer.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That picture really shows the system well! I've got some questions about the shock cord and biners, but I will go back and read the OP and view the videos first and see if can find the answer.
    BB58, I use 1.2mm shock cord, about 4.5' in length. No biners, just these itty bitty mitten hooks.

“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    BB58, I use 1.2mm shock cord, about 4.5' in length. No biners, just these itty bitty mitten hooks.

So, is that ONE piece of shockcord with a mitten hook on each end? (Looks like it) And I suppose it passes thru a tarp or RL loop, but is it attached at that point in any way?

When the tarp is deployed, what is happening with the shockcord? Are they just hanging loose from the RL, or do you clip the mitten hooks back into a loop somewhere?

Sorry about all these questions about minute details, I'm sure it wold become obvious once I tried to set up this way. It has occurred to me that if I took my HH snake skins and ran them 90º instead of end to end(actually, foot end to middle + head end to middle, it would be somewhat the same thing. Except, of course, I would still have the snake skins weight and volume and have to deal with getting the tarp inside the skins. So your approach seems to have some definite advantages.

BTW, I think you said you added that mini biner to either the prussic or tarp D ring. How do you normally attach the D ring to the prussick, if not with a mini biner?

I am so primitive, I have not even adopted a separate tarp RL, which I think I will have to do in order for this system to work. I'm still using my 14 year old JRB tarp(or HH 12 ft sil-nylon tarp) in HH skins, tied to the trees with cordage coming off of the end of the foot and head end tarp D rings! I have always meant to adopt a system like yours, but I guess mine has worked well enough that I just never bother to change! Plus, I use knots! All of this makes me seriously old school, I guess. Probably not due to any thing on purpose, just laziness! This same patched up JRB tarp has been in these same HH skins since at least 2007 or 2008! I am no longer BB58, but I am really BB73!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, is that ONE piece of shockcord with a mitten hook on each end? (Looks like it) And I suppose it passes thru a tarp or RL loop, but is it attached at that point in any way?

When the tarp is deployed, what is happening with the shockcord? Are they just hanging loose from the RL, or do you clip the mitten hooks back into a loop somewhere?

Sorry about all these questions about minute details, I'm sure it wold become obvious once I tried to set up this way. It has occurred to me that if I took my HH snake skins and ran them 90º instead of end to end(actually, foot end to middle + head end to middle, it would be somewhat the same thing. Except, of course, I would still have the snake skins weight and volume and have to deal with getting the tarp inside the skins. So your approach seems to have some definite advantages.

BTW, I think you said you added that mini biner to either the prussic or tarp D ring. How do you normally attach the D ring to the prussick, if not with a mini biner?

I am so primitive, I have not even adopted a separate tarp RL, which I think I will have to do in order for this system to work. I'm still using my 14 year old JRB tarp(or HH 12 ft sil-nylon tarp) in HH skins, tied to the trees with cordage coming off of the end of the foot and head end tarp D rings! I have always meant to adopt a system like yours, but I guess mine has worked well enough that I just never bother to change! Plus, I use knots! All of this makes me seriously old school, I guess. Probably not due to any thing on purpose, just laziness! This same patched up JRB tarp has been in these same HH skins since at least 2007 or 2008! I am no longer BB58, but I am really BB73!
    Actually, there are 2 shock cords, one for each side, both with mitten hooks at each end. The mitten hooks on the top hook into the prusik loop and the lower ones into the tarp D-ring or the guyline loops.

The shock cords and mitten hooks themselves are kept in a little ziploc. I tried keeping them attached to the prusik loop but it made things a little tangly, which I didn't like. That, and the fact that you can opt for attaching them to either end of the tarp if they're separate, are good reasons to remove them when stowing the tarp.

I did start with a mini biner between prusik and D-ring but I found, thanks to possum daddy's suggestion, that I could simply slide the prusik. So I loosened the prusik wraps a bit, and indeed the prusik will slide with almost no friction on the CRL. This is with Lawson Glowire and Ironwire, so YMMV with other kinds of cordage. I tie the prusik straight into the D-ring, like this:

prusik_tarp_ridgeline_14369.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-19-2022 at 08:02. Reason: typo, clarification

Images
    Got it! Thanks!

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Very clever. I'm not a continuous ridgeline dude (hangs head in shame!)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I tried a similar method a few times - using the guy lines (instead of bungee) to wrangle the tarp around the ridgeline. But for me, the snakeskin isn’t about tidiness, it’s about being able to deploy a little bit of the tarp at time in highish winds. Of course every method isn’t for every condition. On a clear night/day, absolutely no rain, no-fly zone for birds, no overhead pine cones reaching terminal velocity - maybe a tarp isn’t needed at all and can be gathered up in a wide variety of ways.

For me, the challenge is stakes. If I figure I won’t need the tarp, but want to be ready if I do, then I’d stake it all out to get the distances and lengths of guyline set - then roll the tarp out of the way. But that leaves those “tripping devices” in the ground. I suppose running into them a few times, especially in front of “friends”, would make a person more aware to memorize their location. Or maybe a little dayglow survey tape could be attached to the stake - just as a reminder that it’s there. Bottom line, If I need to put the tarp out quickly, I just want to unroll (un-sheath) it and hook the guylines on their stakes. No finding the right distance/angle (oops. there’s a rock under the soil there) - homework already done.

Another method would be just to unhook one tarp side and flip i over the ridgeline. That opens the front of the hammock and, assuming you don’t trip over them, usually only leaves two stakes in the ground requiring reconnection.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-20-2022 at 13:05.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast