I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I regret I don't use mine as much as my silnylon and silpoly tarps.
    Shug O'gret
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    With Dutch's bonded tarps now out, I question if I will use mine nearly as often.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescript View Post
    With Dutch's bonded tarps now out, I question if I will use mine nearly as often.
    What factors are you considering?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler_ View Post
    They cost so much……. Anyone ever regret purchasing a dcf tarp?
    Nope. In addition to use with hammock, I have used my hammock tarp (Zpacks 12') for a rain tarp to provide a sheltered area to sit and cook and hang out with minimal weight penalty when on longer backpacking or canoeing trips with a few friends. Pricey but priceless.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    No regrets. I actually just purchased another. As cmoulder said, if you are that concerned with pack volume, a folded DCF tarp is no larger than any other tarp. This photo is of my folded 11' winter tarp.

I use snakeskins because I like them. They do make the tarp take up more space, but, stuffed in the outside pouch of my pack, I don't give it second thought.

Less space for heavy items.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk20220318_161014.jpg20220318_161018.jpg
    Last edited by Countrybois; 03-28-2022 at 10:53.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've found the cmoulder style folded volume of the HG DCF 11' Hex to be acceptable for my personal UL applications.

The first few times I carried it using shockcord or elastic hair ties to keep it rolled up to reduce the weight of skins. It also seemed to roll up and fit back in the HG stuff sack much smaller volume-wise, than my AHE.

*As a disclaimer my AHE Toxaway had a 12' RL and a lot more material on the sides than the HG Hex. I also used solid 3in dia Sil snake skins to swallow it all up.

After 2 days and nights in steady rain conditions I can honestly say I really don't feel the noise level of DCF on this tarp is worth the added argument either. Probably all depends on how sensitive you are to things like that. I don't carry ear plugs either.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What factors are you considering?
    DCF takes up more space than I care for in or on my pack compared to the weight savings. Also louder by comparision and more difficult to run through a snake skin which I'm unwilling to compromise on the use. They're just so handy.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Most previous experience was with an 11' sil-nylon hex tarp from Paria Outdoors (11.4 oz). I'm now 5 nights into my 11' HG DCF Hex tarp (5.22 oz). I initially set up the DCF tarp in my back yard and had 4" snow on the first night out which cause some sag but I'm likely to think it was user error with the pitch as the ground was frozen, and between stake placement options and using the 2 additional middle pullouts, I had a learning curve that I was way behind and it wasn't good fidgeting weather. Nights #2,3, and 4 were spent on a 70 mile hike where I got to camp each day by 5:00-5:30 and had time to practice the hang and pitch. There was rain night #4 and the noise wasn't louder than my old sil-nylon tarps but it was a different tone. It "pinged" but it soon became background noise. It also let in moonlight, which I really enjoyed. Night #5 was this past weekend in the yard again. The weather was all over the place... windy, sleet to snow, snow to freezing rain, freezing rain back to snow. Did I mention it was windy? The tarp did great and the pitch was more dialed in thanks to my previous trip and the time it gave me to practice the nuance of pitching a DCF tarp. I will be sleeping under it close to 50 nights this year alone (there's always at least one or two tent trips in my future) so I should definitively get my money's worth out of use between taking trips and nights in the yard.

No regrets so far. I'm a big strong guy who obsesses over the weight of items so saving ~6 ounces with a DCF tarp was the goal and it took $300 to do it. So I'm also a big dumb idiot that has expendable income. But, no regrets because I'm also a big dumb idiot that can pull a 20 mile day without less pain on my back and feet with a complete UL loadout (8lb summer base/ 9lb shoulder base) which came from making one semi-expensive purchase after another. I think that if I do develop any regrets it will be over not getting doors, but even in the hypothetical future, I won't regret paying for a high quality, ultralight item that was made by American workers.

Hammock
    DW Banyan
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle

DCF tarp regrets?

No regrets here. I was wary when I pulled the trigger on my HG DCF tarp with doors. But it is really nice to have in the rain. The volume issue that some have does not impact me.

I chose a tarp with doors because where I hike, the Sierra Nevada, I tend to run into mid afternoon thunderstorms. The rain lasts a couple hours and can be wind blow at times, depending on where I am in my hike. So doors are a must. Last year we had to stop a couple of times on the trail because the wind and rain was so heavy. I hike with ground dwellers and end up saving the day with my readily accessible tarp.

1. Yes on DCF. No seam sealing. Light!
    2. Yes on doors. I can’t predict the wind affect or guarantee I’m camping in a protected place.
    3. Yes to CRL for using the pole mod to make my tent roomy.

I’m considering upgrading to the HG DCF Palace as I’m trying out a Banyan bridge hammock and will need a wider tarp. The Silpoly tarps such as the Dutch Xenon bonded or the WB Superfly are nice options, but heavier. I think I will stick with DCF to offset the heavier bridge hammock weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    For longer-term DCF tarp users, do you notice any degradation in the fabric? eg, de-laminating or weakness at the common crease points?
    Been using a dyneema ZPacks tarp as a ground shelter for years and I’ll never go back. Not only because of the weight, but because my old silpoly tarps would absorb so much water weight after a rain. A quick shake and a few wipes with a quick dry towel or microfiber rag and it’s back to it’s pretty much dry and without the extra water weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast