Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

North Manitou Island, MI AUG 2021

This was the first hammock camping trip for both my wife and me, as well as her first backpacking trip. It was also my first time to North Manitou in about 35 years....

IMG_2539.jpg
    Here's my wife as we disembarked on the island. You take a ferry from Leland, MI to get there. Manitou Island Transit runs the ferry service. There's some pretty interesting history between the 2 islands. Both had life-saving stations back in the 1800's and early 1900's. Both also had lighthouses, though only the one on South Manitou remains.

IMG_2541.jpg
    Our first night's hang. We hiked south from the dock and then cut across the trail on the southern end of the island and camped in the interior. We got some decent rain overnight, but stayed high and dry. We had some wind, too, I was honestly more worried about a widow-maker than getting wet.

IMG_2559.jpg
    On Day 2 we hiked to the west side of the Island and more toward the middle. We had good weather, highs in the 70's and sun.

IMG_2554.JPG
    Lunch after we found a campsite on the bluff over the beach. Popular spot, so I am glad we got there early to stake a claim.

IMG_2562.jpg
    Second night's hang. It was partly cloudy and a clear forecast, so we went tarp-less. (Wife in her hammock on right)

IMG_2570.jpg
    One of the deer that we had come through our campsite. North Manitou was run as a hunting club for a while in the mid-20th century. As that stopped, the introduced whitetail population exploded. Controlled hunts since the late 1970's have helped keep the herd in check, and allowed the island to re-vegetate from over-grazing. The deer are very unafraid of humans.

The next day we hiked across the middle of the island and caught the ferry back to the mainland. It was a great first hammock trip and first backpacking trip with my wife. (Only took us 30 years to get around to this!)

North and South Manitou Islands are part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Both allow backpacking, but on South it is designated sites only. North it is dispersed. A great place to really get away from it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    OG Blackbird
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good stuff. I’ve wanted to take a trip up that way for years. I once worked with a guy on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico that was a Yooper. He never shut up about the place

Hammock
    tablecloth
    Tarp
    3Club's bug palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Snowbeast
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing! That is our #1 favorite place to go hammock camping. There are so many great spots to hang.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Looking at that coastal shot, I would have thought it was the west coast and not a great lake! Looks like a great trip.

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    Looking at that coastal shot, I would have thought it was the west coast and not a great lake! Looks like a great trip.
    Just as pretty, no earthquakes or tsunamis.
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

• + New Posts