Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Best practices of a DCF tarp and guylines in a snake skin?

After a good stretch of using silnylon tarps, I made the jump to an 11' Hammock Gear hex cut DCF tarp. For my main silnylon tarp set up I use an 11' Paria Outdoors hex cut tarp with a DIY Zing-It continuous ridgeline complete with Dutch bling and soft shackles. I have Loop Alien's no-hook titanium guyline kit with shock cord threaded through the tarp tie outs and I have it stored in a Dutchware's 2 piece snake skin. With this set up, I learned that the easiest way to deploy the tarp quickly was to keep the guylines attached to the tarp since the Loop Alien micro Ti GLT tensioner hardware was attached to the shock cord. To pack up the tarp in the morning I would put both wings of the tarp together and fold from the bottom up with the guylines and GLT tensioners sort of just thrown into the first fold and once I folded the tarp towards the top and was ready, just slide the snake skins closed in the middle. I really liked the ease of this method and never noticed any abrasion on the tarp from the GLT tensioners nor did I experience significant tangling of the guylines.

When I placed my order with Hammock Gear for my new DCF tarp I had also began placing orders for everything else I would need to complete this tarp set up: a Dutchware continuous ridgeline, reflective Dyneema guylines from Sling Fin, Hammock Gear snakeskin, and the same Loop Alien Micro Ti GLT tensioners with shock cord loops.

I've spent a considerable amount of time looking through all of the regular and often recommended YouTube videos but have not been able to find anything specific to what I am curious about. Since I am now the proud owner of a healthy baby DCF tarp, and armless and legless because of it, my anxiety has kicked in wondering if going about storing everything together like I did with the silnylon set up is wise. I put everything together for the DCF tarp last night and realized that I was not sure if the GLT tensioners would cause abrasion to the DCF, and that the Hammock Gear snakeskin is a one piece and considerably tighter than the Dutchware one I have been using, which may cause pinch points on the inside of the tarp roll. I realize that swapping the snakeskins is one possible solution. The GLT tensioners are rounded, smooth, and very small so I almost feel that this in anxious fear and not a logical one.

My question is, what is the best practice for this and is there any reason to think that I should adjust my current practice based on anecdotal information or manufacturer's advisement? Does anyone out there do the same thing or something similar?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have always kept my DCF tarps in snakeskins with guylines and such attached. Never had an issue.
    But you must do what you feel is best for you are those tarps are spun with gold~~~
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    "rubbing" can be an issue, long term: I keep my work shoes in DCF rolltop bags that I got from Hammock Gear and I stored them in my panier bags on my cargo bike to use for work. I have a bike set and an office set, and went a really long stretch without needing to use the ones on the bike... until one day I did, took them out and the bags are worn through where they had been rubbing against the inside of the pannier bag which is a coarse, pack-weight, coated ripstop. it's not the only thing I've had wear through either...my spare tire-tubes that I carry in case of a flat were completely useless when I actually needed them because they also had worn through

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Well there is always the cmoulder fold.

Makes it so easy to get an 11' Hex back in the DCF stuff sack you could probably double wrap it in almost any other type of Sil sack. Let the cheaper outside wrap take the abrasion.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5

Gulllivers travels has your answer

Quote Originally Posted by TDGuentner View Post
    After a good stretch of using silnylon tarps, I made the jump to an 11' Hammock Gear hex cut DCF tarp. For my main silnylon tarp set up I use an 11' Paria Outdoors hex cut tarp with a DIY Zing-It continuous ridgeline complete with Dutch bling and soft shackles. I have Loop Alien's no-hook titanium guyline kit with shock cord threaded through the tarp tie outs and I have it stored in a Dutchware's 2 piece snake skin. With this set up, I learned that the easiest way to deploy the tarp quickly was to keep the guylines attached to the tarp since the Loop Alien micro Ti GLT tensioner hardware was attached to the shock cord. To pack up the tarp in the morning I would put both wings of the tarp together and fold from the bottom up with the guylines and GLT tensioners sort of just thrown into the first fold and once I folded the tarp towards the top and was ready, just slide the snake skins closed in the middle. I really liked the ease of this method and never noticed any abrasion on the tarp from the GLT tensioners nor did I experience significant tangling of the guylines.

When I placed my order with Hammock Gear for my new DCF tarp I had also began placing orders for everything else I would need to complete this tarp set up: a Dutchware continuous ridgeline, reflective Dyneema guylines from Sling Fin, Hammock Gear snakeskin, and the same Loop Alien Micro Ti GLT tensioners with shock cord loops.

I've spent a considerable amount of time looking through all of the regular and often recommended YouTube videos but have not been able to find anything specific to what I am curious about. Since I am now the proud owner of a healthy baby DCF tarp, and armless and legless because of it, my anxiety has kicked in wondering if going about storing everything together like I did with the silnylon set up is wise. I put everything together for the DCF tarp last night and realized that I was not sure if the GLT tensioners would cause abrasion to the DCF, and that the Hammock Gear snakeskin is a one piece and considerably tighter than the Dutchware one I have been using, which may cause pinch points on the inside of the tarp roll. I realize that swapping the snakeskins is one possible solution. The GLT tensioners are rounded, smooth, and very small so I almost feel that this in anxious fear and not a logical one.

My question is, what is the best practice for this and is there any reason to think that I should adjust my current practice based on anecdotal information or manufacturer's advisement? Does anyone out there do the same thing or something similar?

Thanks in advance!
    It’s been years since I read it, but in gullivers travels I recall there was a major disagreement about which end of an egg should be opened, either the pointy end or the round one. The same is true for storing the lines on the tarp, or on the stakes. I like to store them with the tarp in my snakeskin, as I didn’t like rolling them around the stakes, and if you need to adjust the lines in a storm it’s easier to do from under the tarp. This worked reliably for me on a recent thruhike. You should do a backyard test and see which you prefer. Your dcf tarp likely has years of life in it either way.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I prefer to keep guy- and ridge lines attached and store everything together in one stuff sack, including the stakes. This way, the shelter system is a complete unit and it is almost impossible to forget anything, either at home or at camp. I've been backpacking with and storing DCF tents, tarps and other items for a long time with no abrasion issues. Of course the stuff sacks show some minor abrasion, but that's their job. I don't use bling but I wouldn't worry at all about it causing abrasion while stored in a stuff sack.

As Rolloff alluded to, here's my method for stowing my tarps. Makes take-down quick and easy, virtually eliminates tangling of cordage, and the finished bundle is compact.

And while I happen to be a dedicated minimalist, per chef4 there really isn't a 'wrong' way to do things. With practice and repetition even the most complicated setup becomes easy once muscle memory kicks in.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Thanks, Shug! Always a good feeling when you bring the security of Sector 7 to meet people where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have always kept my DCF tarps in snakeskins with guylines and such attached. Never had an issue.
    But you must do what you feel is best for you are those tarps are spun with gold~~~
    Shug

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Its actually funny that you mention that because the old canvass Cannondale touring panniers I use for bike-packing have an internal plastic frame that will rub against items when the panniers aren't completely full. I use silnylon stuff sacks when packing items in those because of it. I've had nylofume bags rip from getting piched while bouncing around.

Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    "rubbing" can be an issue, long term: I keep my work shoes in DCF rolltop bags that I got from Hammock Gear and I stored them in my panier bags on my cargo bike to use for work. I have a bike set and an office set, and went a really long stretch without needing to use the ones on the bike... until one day I did, took them out and the bags are worn through where they had been rubbing against the inside of the pannier bag which is a coarse, pack-weight, coated ripstop. it's not the only thing I've had wear through either...my spare tire-tubes that I carry in case of a flat were completely useless when I actually needed them because they also had worn through

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    That's been my preferred method with my silnylon tarps and was just curious if it was good, bad, or neutral with a DCF tarp. Seems like its neutral. I'll be hanging in the backyard tonight so I plan on proceeding as usual. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    It’s been years since I read it, but in gullivers travels I recall there was a major disagreement about which end of an egg should be opened, either the pointy end or the round one. The same is true for storing the lines on the tarp, or on the stakes. I like to store them with the tarp in my snakeskin, as I didn’t like rolling them around the stakes, and if you need to adjust the lines in a storm it’s easier to do from under the tarp. This worked reliably for me on a recent thruhike. You should do a backyard test and see which you prefer. Your dcf tarp likely has years of life in it either way.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Thanks for sharing! I agree that keeping everything together as a unit is best in that its convenient and makes it harder to forget a component while packing. Your method probably won't work with snakeskins though, however, I did something quite similar with an asym silnylon tarp from an old kit of mine. Folding up the stakes is the genius move I was missing. I appreciate the schooling!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I prefer to keep guy- and ridge lines attached and store everything together in one stuff sack, including the stakes. This way, the shelter system is a complete unit and it is almost impossible to forget anything, either at home or at camp. I've been backpacking with and storing DCF tents, tarps and other items for a long time with no abrasion issues. Of course the stuff sacks show some minor abrasion, but that's their job. I don't use bling but I wouldn't worry at all about it causing abrasion while stored in a stuff sack.

As Rolloff alluded to, here's my method for stowing my tarps. Makes take-down quick and easy, virtually eliminates tangling of cordage, and the finished bundle is compact.

And while I happen to be a dedicated minimalist, per chef4 there really isn't a 'wrong' way to do things. With practice and repetition even the most complicated setup becomes easy once muscle memory kicks in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast