Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    Thats awesome.
    And I have been really curious about what you do for a living that you hang so much.
    Kudos

我宁愿在山上。
    The things I've mentioned are only a small part of what I do for income. It's a wide field from transportation/relocation of heavy things right through "Spacial Transformations" of indoor and outdoor spaces, to custom tailored/hand stitched leather garments and weekend vending of previously scored "good deals".
    With this lifestyle counting on just one or two skills usually won't take you very far for very long.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Pretty slick, man. So for some of the other 97 nights not outdoors...is that during the summer months to get away from the heat?
    Definitely not! A hot desert day will heat up even a well insulated rig before the day is over, then it takes a good part of the night to cool down. Air conditioners on a rig require AC power, and quite a bit of it, so we don't have any as "plugging in" is pretty rare in our life.
    Outside the temps start dropping right after the sun does and by morning is around 30° cooler.

So most of those nights were from visiting family that don't have an outside space that can be used, arriving back from a long distance vending and just falling into my lady's rig together, or nights that we just didn't want to be in two different hammocks.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Well I passed my first 100 nights (for this year) near the end of last month and we're already hitting triple digits occasionally. I'd guess before the month is out my UQ may be moving into it's storage bag and I'll be playing w/ evaporative cooling for midday naps again.
    Tarp hasn't been up since our vending trip in March, just shade cloth.

So lately this has been our experiment, a Vertex that I picked up at Hang Con.
    After playing w/ it for awhile and getting a grip on the stock ropes and rings I pulled all of that off.
    I had three 1/8" dyneema dogbones that I had made up during my early days of splicing, just because I had some on hand (two 3' and one 6'), and never really had a use for, so this is what I did . . .
    I put in a soft shackle instead of a CL at the head end, and added a 3' dogbone to that. At the foot end, where both of the hammock bodies come together, I ran the 6' dogbone through them both and ended w/ a climbing carabiner through both loops of the dogbone.
    Since this is not for backpacking . . . more of a base camp bed, I figured that three daisy chain straps and carabineers was the way to go for simplicity.
    Also being shorter than our usual hammocks I didn't want to be adjusting and readjusting our UQ everytime we switch hammocks. So for that I added pussic loops to the dogbones as a place to attach the UQs to.
    The other thing that we weren't crazy about was that there is like a mile of space between the hammocks at the head end. So I replaced the webbing that they used w/ a shorter dogbone and pulled the hammocks closer together. Of course that made the head end material fold in and create a wall between us. That was fixed w/ another dogbone pulling the middle of it (where they have a structural strap for the head end hoop) out to the dogbone holding the hammocks together. That caused it to accordion nicely.
    The fact that the head end of the UQ would want to pull off to the outside because of the angle of the dogbones was fixed by running it up behind the one holding the hammocks together.

In the end it's not my favorite hammock but it checks a few boxes. 1) It lets us sleep inside the same netting side by side. Though I may have preferred Dutch's two person net for that. 2) It works for us as a full time base camp bed. Nice that I can close the storm shield and keep dirt and such out on windy days, or when we're not in camp. 3) It can work as a ground tent. Which has been important for our kayaking trips. Now instead of packing our personal hammocks and a ground tent just in case, we have replaced the ground tent w/ the Vertex. So if there are no options for hanging it goes on the ground, if it will hang at the location we sleep together, if that doesn't work we still each have our own hammocks and I have my Solo pole.

So far it's working for us (but I do wish it was longer).
    Last edited by LowTech; 05-09-2022 at 10:25.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That is super cool. It's good to get some practical feedback on someone actually using a Clark hammock. I've been eyeing them on the Dutch's site ever since he brought them in-house.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    That is super cool. It's good to get some practical feedback on someone actually using a Clark hammock. I've been eyeing them on the Dutch's site ever since he brought them in-house.
    I will say that unless you're comfortable in a short, narrow, hammock this is probably not the way to go. I don't know if Dutch is making them longer now as he doesn't list the size on his site but we have an original and it is just short of 9'. Too short for me really.
    The hammock material that the original uses is heavy and noisy as well.
    When I talked w/ Dutch at Hang Con he compared the originals to Mack trucks, heavy duty and they will just keep on working. Being that I drive a similar truck I could relate. Of course it was a month or more before we got to hang it for the first time and try it out.
    I think if the hammock material was a nicer, more modern material, the length got increased, and the space between the hammocks at the head was less (I mean really, how much crap do you need w/ you?!) I'd be very happy w/ it.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I will say that unless you're comfortable in a short, narrow, hammock this is probably not the way to go. I don't know if Dutch is making them longer now as he doesn't list the size on his site but we have an original and it is just short of 9'. Too short for me really.
    The hammock material that the original uses is heavy and noisy as well.
    When I talked w/ Dutch at Hang Con he compared the originals to Mack trucks, heavy duty and they will just keep on working. Being that I drive a similar truck I could relate. Of course it was a month or more before we got to hang it for the first time and try it out.
    I think if the hammock material was a nicer, more modern material, the length got increased, and the space between the hammocks at the head was less (I mean really, how much crap do you need w/ you?!) I'd be very happy w/ it.
    Yikes. 9' or less is too short for me. I really like the idea of them, especially for packing on a motorcycle trip. Seems like I am probably not the intended demographic though.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Yikes. 9' or less is too short for me. I really like the idea of them, especially for packing on a motorcycle trip. Seems like I am probably not the intended demographic though.
    I know! I can just make it work if I hang it w/ the right amount of sag. My lady doesn't have any problems w/ it as she's a little more than 5'.

I didn't know that it was that short when I bought it (used) and they didn't mention it.
    I'm tempted to sell it and get a bug net for two from Dutch, but then I'm also buying a tent for those "other" times and I was trying to have less gear in my small space.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    So, I was working heading up a major Transpo gig (one of the things I do) and in the process killed two phones. That means I lost the exact count of how many nights I've been outside in a hammock this year but I know I've passed last year's count. I'll spend some time figuring and can probably get close.
    Four of those nights were in hotels w/ the rest of the crew I had working. Though one night we stayed in a parking lot and I was able to hang from the truck I was using to a small tree on the edge of the lot. Near the end of the run (8 days total) I broke off from the rest of the crew and was able to sleep comfortably.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12