one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR

268 Nights Outside

Been meaning to post this up for awhile now (couple months ) but I checked back over the log I kept, I know crazy, right?! and it seems that out of 365 nights I slept outside on 268 of them.
    This all started when I saw the "12 nights" thread and though "that's a great idea!" Even the talk of some kind of patch or other form of recognition seemed cool. Then I realized "wait, that's not even two weeks and I'm a pretty hardcore outdoors person" so I started logging how many nights I actually slept outside in my hammocks.
    The nights missed are from sleeping in my lady's rig, or during vending trips when there was no where to hang, or at my mom's place in a retirement community, and on some kayaking trips.
    Because of those trips I made a few versions of single, and double, pole stands. Finally I bought the Tensa Solo after too many kayak trips where I saw the opportunity to use one tree but two trees the right distance apart and nothing in between, near a river or lake in the SW desert . . . not happening. So now I expect my non-outdoor nights to decrease even more.

So far I've been out in snow, some good rain storms, a hurricane, and when the daytime temps were at 115°. I've also hung in some pretty industrial places where scrap metal and rolled up fencing was under me in addition to some great wilderness spots.

Here's to finally being able to do the thing that I fell in love w/ while traveling Central America and living in a Mayan net hammock almost 30 years ago.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    That’s awesome!

Pictures, mate… gotta see pictures of all these different hang spots.

Hanging in urban/industrial spots sound cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooooooooo Buddy)))))
    You must have a very uncomfortable couch.....haaaaa
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    LowTech, you mentioned your Tensan solo but for a little less fuss, when you have a vehicle with a hitch receiver, check out the hammock Hang that Shug has for his Jeep. It’s two “arms” separated by a bar that plugs into the trailer hitch receiver. The arms lean out a bit for clearance from the car. It is NOT kayak friendly but It’s pretty handy to pull over anywhere and just clip up on the back of your car/truck.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    That’s awesome!

Pictures, mate… gotta see pictures of all these different hang spots.

Hanging in urban/industrial spots sound cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't have loads of pics of my "non wilderness" hangs as I didn't figure anyone would want to see them.

I do have a couple that you might appreciate.
    One showing part of my lady next to my truck, and one w/ the shelter I call home. The kayak was in "dry dock" at the moment getting overhauled.
    Oh, and here's a double hang off the vending trailer using one tree and one pole (which is two sections of camo net spreader poles).

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Whoooooooooooo Buddy)))))
    You must have a very uncomfortable couch.....haaaaa
    Shug
    I've often wondered what couches were for, are they for night time sitting while watching TV, or daytime sitting when you're taking a break from things, or just somewhere for a drunk friend to sleep it off?

I don't have a TV, this is my daytime sit and take a break place at the moment, and I don't have drunk friends that often.

Last edited by LowTech; 03-10-2022 at 13:55.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    LowTech, you mentioned your Tensan solo but for a little less fuss, when you have a vehicle with a hitch receiver, check out the hammock Hang that Shug has for his Jeep. It’s two “arms” separated by a bar that plugs into the trailer hitch receiver. The arms lean out a bit for clearance from the car. It is NOT kayak friendly but It’s pretty handy to pull over anywhere and just clip up on the back of your car/truck.
    I did check those out even before Shug got his as my mom who was interested in getting a hammock was thinking that they might work for her when she went kayaking and camped in a campground.
    For me/us we usually have a trailer attached so the hitch is occupied. I do have a bit of an ectocage on my shelter that gives me loads of attachment points and the vending trailer was built (in `99) w/ two hammock attachment loops welded on.
    So between my shelter and truck, plus the vending trailer, we have loads of ways to hang off the rigs.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    This morning's "drink tea in the morning sun" chair.

Surrounded by kayak overhaul parts, extra peddles for a mtn bike, potable water tank, cardboard getting ready for the recycler, . . .
    Walled off from the neighbor's (he should be back from jail at some point since they haven't stripped his stuff out of the rental) yard, w/ it's broken down trampoline and random bits, by a wall of chain link, corrugated metal, a folding vending table, . . .
    Above a floor of concrete, layered w/ pipe, angle steel, and other heavy metal.

Glamping at it's finest!
    As a designer, and builder, of tiny homes and live-in rigs I really get into the fact that I'm able to use space that is often difficult to use, w/o using at least one other and often two or three other surfaces.
    Technically I do use at least one other surface for attachment points, but in a way that is very temporary and not in the "frame out from the wall" or "built up from the floor" that is so standard in a build.

So this morning I was floating in a space that I would not have been able to put a chair, or a sit-pad in and comfortable drink my morning tea while enjoying the winter sun.
    Last edited by LowTech; 03-10-2022 at 13:31.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thats awesome.
    And I have been really curious about what you do for a living that you hang so much.
    Kudos

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Pretty slick, man. So for some of the other 97 nights not outdoors...is that during the summer months to get away from the heat?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast