Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles

dutchware tato tarp connector

I'm new to hanging and trying different methods. I bought a continued ridge line from dutchware with the tato tarp connectors. Forgive my ignorance, because I know I'm probably doing something wrong, but when i get my ridgeline real tight with the included wasp, i can't seem to make the tato (that's connected to my tarp) wrap around and hook like it is supposed to the ridgeline, the ridgeline wont give enough. So if I loosen the tension on the ridgeline a little to fasten the tato clips they don't grip anymore because the ridgeling is now to loose. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Maybe I just need to keep playing with it.

thanks a bunch!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    looks like the ridegeline tightness will have to be just right for them to work correctly

I recently bought the same CR and Tato connectors. The ridgeline can't be too tight or you wont be able to wrap it around the connector. It will still be tight enough if you loosen it up to compensate for the connectors. Makes me slightly regret buying them instead of just using prussiks.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >Makes me slightly regret buying them instead of just using prussiks.

Or, if you are going to use a mechanical device - Nama Claws (with 1.75mm line)
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >Makes me slightly regret buying them instead of just using prussiks.

Or, if you are going to use a mechanical device - Nama Claws (with 1.75mm line)
    That's what I'm doing. I ordered nama claws last night and I'll ditch the tatos

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are going to put the Claws on the same line that came with the Tatos (if you got a ridgeline “kit”), you’ll most likely have to cut the wasp end if it has some kind of stopper. Then slide on the claws - PAYING ATTENTION that the jaws face towards the ends of the line - then put some kind of stopper on the line again. I just weave the end back into itself, or put a utility loop at that end (something to for attaching an extension, if nessary).

Also, if you use a small cord loop to connect the tarp D-Rings to the Nama Claws, there are some videos showing using a loop knot that will cinch up to choke the claw connection. When I hoop just the split ring at the end of the tarp in the claw, it often works it’s way out (even in a skin) during packing. It’s not a big deal to re-connect it to the claw. But after the third time, you might start thinging about making that connection slightly more secure.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-09-2022 at 13:33.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    If you are going to put the Claws on the same line that came with the Tatos (if you got a ridgeline “kit”), you’ll most likely have to cut the wasp end if it has some kind of stopper. Then slide on the claws - PAYING ATTENTION that the jaws face towards the ends of the line - then put some kind of stopper on the line again. I just weave the end back into itself, or put a utility loop at that end (something to for attaching an extension, if nessary).

Also, if you use a small cord loop to connect the tarp D-Rings to the Nama Claws, there are some videos showing using a slip (something that will cinch up) knot to choke the claw connection. When I hoop just the split ring at the end of the tarp in the claw, it often works it’s way out (even in a skin) during packing. It’s not a big deal to re-connect it to the claw. But after the third time, you might start thinging about making that connection slightly more secure.
    Thx for the advice. I was planning on just hooking the claws to the tarp Drings directly and remove the tarp and roll up my crl separately Trouble with this method is that I wudnt b able to use my snakeskins to save my tarp

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by st4hangin View Post
    Thx for the advice. I was planning on just hooking the claws to the tarp Drings directly and remove the tarp and roll up my crl separately Trouble with this method is that I wudnt b able to use my snakeskins to save my tarp
    That is actually the way I prefer to set up. A snakeskin can still be used with no issues. Here is a photo. (Sorry for the quality of photo, just had this set up in my basement) I add a small loop on the one end between the tarp and NAMA Claw to give more room for the skin to gather when I slide it off. One could also easily remove the split ring and hitch or tie the line directly to the tarp.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Two things - in that photo, note that there is just the orange loop in the Nama “jaw”. That can work its way out during packing/unpacking. Easy enough to reattach, but one more thing to do. The same can happen if you just put that little split ring in the jaw. So my suggestion was to make a knot - not going to try to describe it; YouTube is your friend - that cinches up on that jaw. It could slip out too, but is much less likely.

The second thing is, if you are using a single skin, you want to put it on so it slides off towards the hook end - not the wasp end - of the ridge line. It’s a small thing, easy to correct. Just trying to save you an, “I meant to do that” event. The line going from the tarp to the hook end of the ridge line will be straight and ready to hold the scrunched off skin. But the line on the wasp end, depending upon where the wasp is relative to the tarp end, can present a line in a “V” - especially if the wasp is near the end of the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast