WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket

Superior Gear Elite hammock

I’ve been going back and forth about ordering a superior gear elite hammock set up. I want to get a second hammock, quilts, and tarp so I can start taking my kids with me. I live in Minnesota so I’m not real worried about the hot night time temperatures. The setup seems like it would be so much easier for the kids. There’s just not a lot of info out there on superior gear hammocks yet. Anyone else make the purchase that can help persuade me one way or the other?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have their original built-in UQ Superior Hammock. And the Starlite Elite (which is just constructed with a more UL lightweight material)
    They have kinda been my go-to hammocks for a while.
    Using my SG hammock with Comforter/UQ added on the -31º trip last week.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I don't have the elite, so can't speak to those fabrics, but I have the original version and really like the integrated underquilt. My wife and daughter use it when we go as a family, I would pick it over my BBXLC/wooki combo on a cold weather trip for the additional coverage.

You mention tarps. While the tarp I got from SG is functional and has kept us dry through a pretty big rain, I would not get another tarp from them as I personally prefer the ridgeline design you see on HG and Warbonnet tarps. I do like the clips SG has on their tarps so you can quickly relocate guylines, though.

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    I just received the standard superior hammock this week and so far it is great. No adjustments needed for the insulation. Just a question for those who have the 10ft version, what length do you set your ridgeline to?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd1983 View Post
    I just received the standard superior hammock this week and so far it is great. No adjustments needed for the insulation. Just a question for those who have the 10ft version, what length do you set your ridgeline to?
    I adjust it to fit my tree spacing. Never measured but easy to let in and out depending.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    The only problem I have with getting my Superior Hammock is that I now have a lot of other nice hammocks that I don’t see getting a lot of use in the future

I got mine in the last month or so and I am more excited about it than any system I’ve used previously. I also did order one for my niece— she more or less insists on sleeping in a hammock any time she goes camping with her family— this removes the chance of the quilt sliding off in the night. These are actually perfect for kids in terms of function / warmth— no worry about getting the UQ properly attached w/out cold spots etc.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    The only problem I have with getting my Superior Hammock is that I now have a lot of other nice hammocks that I don’t see getting a lot of use in the future

I got mine in the last month or so and I am more excited about it than any system I’ve used previously. I also did order one for my niece— she more or less insists on sleeping in a hammock any time she goes camping with her family— this removes the chance of the quilt sliding off in the night. These are actually perfect for kids in terms of function / warmth— no worry about getting the UQ properly attached w/out cold spots etc.
    I pretty much agree with all of that. I have about the last of the original, older designs that he sold. I love my bridges and 90º hammocks, but considering I have consistently slept comfy in the SG from the very 1st use(4 nights straight in the Adirondacks immediately after purchase, on my Tensa stand), and occasionally since then, it is kind of hard to justify bothering with spreader bars or weird tarp pitches for the 90º. (the reason for these hammocks in the 1st place was mainly to avoid calf ridge(which they do, 100%) or knee hyper-extension and to a lessor extent side twist issues. But I'm not having those problems to any noticeable degree in the SG, so....)

OTOH, I will be keeping those other hammocks just in case because: if I ever want to use a pad,
    1: To boost an UQ, I would prefer the bridge or 90º. Or
    2: in case I ever find myself going some place where 2 trees are going to be a gamble or
    3: going some place where I am required to be in a shelter for a night or 2 or
    4: where hanging from trees is not allowed or possible AND I don't have my Tensa stand. Or
    5: I might want to use my short UQs to save weight and volume, but don't want to gamble on calf ridge in a Gathered End(GE).

For those situations, where using a pad for whatever reason, I would rather have a non GE hammock. But those situations are rare for me, and with the SG insulated hammock I can find at least equal comfort to those 90 and bridge hammocks. Maybe even in some ways better, but all are great, just some differences or pros and cons. But since I have been able to avoid my nemesis (calf ridge ) in the SG, AND since there are simply zero concerns regarding UQ adjustment, or change of same during the night, it has become an extremely attractive option. I don't know if it is possible to do it wrong as far as the UQ goes. It is possible(to hang an UQ wrong) with my bridge or 90º, but realistically it a'int gonna happen. Still, I have to deal with either spreader bars or that strange 90 degree thing and the slight issues with getting in and out. So the simplicity of the SG's hang + zero UQ adjustment seems to be winning out. And probably will continue unless I need or prefer a pad.

I'm very interested in the SG hammock. My concern is the width. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs, medium build. Does anyone out there have experience with the 11' hammock and my detentions. Advice is welcome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the prof View Post
    I'm very interested in the SG hammock. My concern is the width. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs, medium build. Does anyone out there have experience with the 11' hammock and my detentions. Advice is welcome. Thanks
    I am 6'5" and 235lbs, and while I don't have an SG hammock, I have a cheap Pinnacle Ridge 360 which is a minimal width and 11' long, and I have no issues getting a good sleep in it. Just a little calf ridge if the foot end isn't raised a fair bit. My dad had the same experience in his at 6'3" and 215lbs on our BWCA trip last year.

I had a wider 11' hammock at one point, but found the extra material didn't do much to improve my lie and was hanging annoyingly in my face. I just bought a 12' Trail Lair, also in standard width, and it's not another world of comfort at all, although I think it's more ideal. If you don't know what you're missing, life is good.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >The only problem I have with getting my Superior Hammock is that I now have a lot of other nice hammocks that I don’t see getting a lot of use in the future
    Sloanie, that’s what the For Sale forum is for

But yeah, I’m about ready to part with a Lynx just to get one in a different fabric/color/temp range and when I pull the old one out of it’s storage sack, it’s so warm and cozy - how can I let it go ...
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast