Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.2
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    I am just starting out and researching under-quilts and discovered the Superior Hammock and the Starlite. I am the opposite of the OP in that I am in SoCal so hot weather is a factor, and I like the flexibility the Starlite provides over the integrated UQ in that regard. However, I am curious how the Starlite Elite compares when using their quilts with the snaps, to something like a UGQ Zeppelin and the the attachment points. The videos I have seen so far have lead me to believe that some hammocks have loops that the UGQ attachment points can hook onto, similar to the way the snaps would but perhaps with a little more effort than a few snaps.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It will work fine. I just used a 40º partial UQ from another vendor on my SG Starlite on a 7 day canoe trip. Used S-biners to slip the UQ to the hammock suspension.
    SG snap on UQs are just great in the winter. No fiddling, no shoulder tucking, no worrying if you covered underneath and no gaps.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.2
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Thank you!

There is one thing I am not clear about. It looks like some hammocks, like a few of the dream hammocks have options for top/underquilt loops, and I got the impression some quilts have toggles that can hook into those loops with the intended functionality similar to that of the UQ snaps used by superior. If this is correct, this seems like it's almost the same as using snaps, but I'm not really sure. I am just starting my hammock journey, so I don't have the experience here to have any opinions of my own on the subject, so any input is appreciated. The main thing I am wondering is how the snaps compare to the toggle/loops in both performance and ease of use.

If none of this makes sense, then my question should probably be, do underquilts have toggles to hook onto the hammock? If not, why not?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingAvocado View Post
    Thank you!

There is one thing I am not clear about. It looks like some hammocks, like a few of the dream hammocks have options for top/underquilt loops, and I got the impression some quilts have toggles that can hook into those loops with the intended functionality similar to that of the UQ snaps used by superior. If this is correct, this seems like it's almost the same as using snaps, but I'm not really sure. I am just starting my hammock journey, so I don't have the experience here to have any opinions of my own on the subject, so any input is appreciated. The main thing I am wondering is how the snaps compare to the toggle/loops in both performance and ease of use.

If none of this makes sense, then my question should probably be, do underquilts have toggles to hook onto the hammock? If not, why not?

Thanks again!
    Toggles and loops would lock you into a standard.

Rather than using toggles on the UQ, several hammocks are available with UQ hooks as opposed to loops. Some have them as a standard feature, others offer them as an add-on option. The hooks are there to catch the primary shock cord suspension that many UQ makers use. The purpose is to keep the UQ in place. i.e. to stop it from slipping off to the side. The primary suspension serves to keep the UQ firmly against the hammock body. Some UQs have a secondary suspension that serves to keep the UQ stretched out along its length and properly positioned under the user.

Another approach is seen in WB's Wooki and SLD's Trail Winder. I'll leave it to you to look rather than go into a lengthy description.

The beauty of these offerings is that they allow you to use UQs from various vendors rather being locked into a single vendor's "system."

(That's Warbonnet and Simply Light Designs.)

Of course, with SG's Starlite you have the option of using either their snap-on quilt or using an UQ from another vendor, as Shug did on his recent BWCAW trip. That flexibility has some appeal. SG seems to be getting high marks for comfort. I'm wondering what makes one GE hammock better than others in that regard(?)
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-22-2022 at 07:46.

Hammock
    Superior Gear 11ft. 30 degree
    Tarp
    Dutch wide winter
    Insulation
    JRB/Loco Libre
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    I have a Superior Gear 11 ft. 30 degree and it has become my go to hammock for WNC conditions. No calf ridge and the width is no problem (I am 6'4" 230#) Definitely the most comfortable hammock I have ever slept in. It has relegated my Warbonnet BB XLC and Dream Hammock Sparrow to the gear closet.
    I will be sleeping in it 4 nights this coming week in the backcountry of the GSMNP on a fishing trip.

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by btelectric View Post
    I have a Superior Gear 11 ft. 30 degree and it has become my go to hammock for WNC conditions. No calf ridge and the width is no problem (I am 6'4" 230#) Definitely the most comfortable hammock I have ever slept in. It has relegated my Warbonnet BB XLC and Dream Hammock Sparrow to the gear closet.
    I will be sleeping in it 4 nights this coming week in the backcountry of the GSMNP on a fishing trip.
    Where's the trip report and pics?

And, any insight as to why this hammock is more comfortable for you than either the WB or DH?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Dutch wide winter
    Insulation
    JRB/Loco Libre
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagouillard View Post
    Where's the trip report and pics?
    I shot some video that I haven't edited yet and posted to my channel. The weather has been so nice on the weekends since that fishing was more appealing than being on the laptop....

Hammock
    Tarp
    Dutch wide winter
    Insulation
    JRB/Loco Libre
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    And, any insight as to why this hammock is more comfortable for you than either the WB or DH?
    My position in the hammock seems better, especially when I have the Ridgeline adjusted for the tree spacing and the foot end up a bit. I have had zero calf ridge with very little adjusting after the first couple of hangs. No way to confirm this but I have wondered if the 3rd layer of fabric for the under quilt adds some structure to the hammock that helps with the calf ridge.?????
    When I bought the DH Sparrow I went with a wider fabric and it didn't help my lay at all. The WBBB XLC is almost as comfortable for me but is not symmetrical like the SG. I like being able to swap directions of lay if I am not particularly comfortable in one or the other for whatever reason.

My position in the hammock seems better, especially when I have the Ridgeline adjusted for the tree spacing and the foot end up a bit. I have had zero calf ridge with very little adjusting after the first couple of hangs. No way to confirm this but I have wondered if the 3rd layer of fabric for the under quilt adds some structure to the hammock that helps with the calf ridge.?????
    When I bought the DH Sparrow I went with a wider fabric and it didn't help my lay at all. The WBBB XLC is almost as comfortable for me but is not symmetrical like the SG. I like being able to swap directions of lay if I am not particularly comfortable in one or the other for whatever reason.
    Thanks. No one hammock can be the best for everyone. In general, I like a really firm hammock and I'm pretty happy with my DL XLC. Truth be told, it's probably plenty "good enough." But I always wondering if there's something even better (for me) out there. At some point you get to that point of diminishing returns. I've not spent substantial time in a symmetrical hammock yet but I just might have to find out if that grass is even (slightly?) greener. It's the journey, right?
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-06-2022 at 20:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast