WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far

Those of you who loan hammocks...

I've read many times that it's good to have a loaner hammock around for friends and family and strangers and such. Does this mean you also keep extra quilts (top, under) to include with the loaner hammock?

A pal of mine would like to try it out, but I've only got a Hennessy Expedition classic bottom entry that I could loan him. No quilts. I do have a Big Agnes Cross Mountain sleeping bag with the matching pad that fits into a sleeve on the bottom, but I suspect that might be a little tough for him to wrangle.

How do you all handle loaners to potential new hangers?

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    beside the essential hammock and suspension, I believe the under quilt is also needed, while they can use their own sleeping bag, the under quilt is new element for tent camper, and you probably drive them away instead get them to hang if the first experience is CBS, double hammocks (loosely hang a Walmart brand inexpensive one under) stuff with clothes and pad maybe okay if your pal has the spirit to try it out.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I kinda went on a gear buying binge when trying to figure stuff out. So I ended up with a few sets of quilts. And hammocks. And tarps. And straps. And stoves. And stakes. And food bags. And stuff sacks. And knives. And saws. And camp chairs. And water storage. And filters. And packs.

But, back to the quilts.

- First purchase was a 40F HG Econ Phoenix. Then, picked up a 40F HG Econ Burrow Wide. These are my most used.
    - Next was a 20F HG Econ Phoenix. Then later, an in stock discount 20F HG Econ Burrow Wide (thought it might be useful for tent camping).
    - Got cold feet on a trip using a Phoenix, sprung for a 20F HG Econ Incubator. And since I couldn't have it be alone, I got a 20F HG Econ Burrow Std.

I now have 3 hammocks, 3 sets of quilts, and 3 tarps. The 40F set is my goto, so long as the temps are in the 50s or higher. The 20F Incubator is my cold weather UQ.

I did buy with the intention of having gear for my son to borrow, that's pretty much why I was ok with having two 20F sets. Also, a few friends have expressed interest in camping as well. My hiking buddy has also acquired a fair amount of gear. Between the two of us, we can outfit 3-4 other people (depends on temps) and still have our gear.

I toyed with the idea of selling off the the 40F set, the 20F Phoenix and one of the 20F Burrows and settling on a 30F HG Premium Burrow and Incubator for me and keep the 20F Econ Burrow/Incubator Std as a loaner. I don't think I'll get into true winter camping, so I think the 30F should be flexible enough year round.

If I'm loaning gear...they're going with me. Not that I don't trust 'em...I wanna go too!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I've been hammock camping for 7 years and only now have extra UQs and hammocks to lend. Before I had extra UQ, I would have them use their sleeping pad. I've also used a wool blanket in lieu of a pad. I just explain that using a UQ only makes the experience better. They've all seemed to understand and still appreciate the loaned gear.

What has been most helpful has been attending hangs where we are able to pool our resources. Attending hangs has allowed me to get to know other people and their gear and when I have a friend with questions, I know exactly who to send the questions to. I know I can post "I've got a buddy who wants to try a bridge hammock, who is coming that can bring an extra?"

I will also admit that when I attended my 1st BIG hang, I accidently left my hammock back home in my backpack. A fellow buddy had extra stuff and I ended up trying out an AMOK. Sometimes I think I should "accidently" leave stuff at home more to force me into into trying new stuff.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m happy to loan my (spare) hammocks but not my quilts. If the person is already a camper, they probably have a sleeping bag they can use an a TQ and ground pad. I wouldn’t take a new person out in any kind of extreme weather - I’d pick something where their gear would keep them warm - admittedly maybe not as comfortable as with a UQ - and some people prefer a pad. That said, I would certainly let them try the UQ by temporarily moving it to their hammock. Actually, if I set it up, with an UQP, sure ..., I’d loan a UQ (as long as I along to supervise). A TQ - that’s a little too intimate. I don’t wear scents and I always have a clothes (pj’s) barrier between skin and the nylon. Usually, if someone has to use my sleeping bag or TQ, I give it to them. So naturally that doesn’t happen very often.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    My 1st night in a hammock was a borrowed one. Went to a winter hang with a tent to meet hammocks. OldnWay lent me a hammock w/ a pad and I used my sleeping bag. No tarp since it was a clear night. Got down around 20°. 6 years later and I haven't slept on the ground since!

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I have enough gear I'd loan out the whole setup if they needed it, but most people have the top insulation covered one way or another. Especially considering that it would likely be a tent camper, and I want them to enjoy a hammock as much as possible and bring them over to the dark side. Light side? What side are we...?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I have several loaner hammocks. I also have some synthetic UQ/TQ sets I use as loaners. Since I'm usually camping in the summer, it often isn't an issue.

My downy goodness is a bit too expensive to loan to newbies.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I let them focus on proper hammock hang first. Use their own pad and sleeping bag.
    Then we move to UQs the next time if the hammock takes for them.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    I appreciate all the replies, gang. I tried out the rig I mentioned in my first post and found it wasn't all that bad. (Original HH Exped 2.5 and a Big Agnes Cross Mountain bag with a matched pad in its sleeve). I did have to wriggle and contort a bit once inside to get comfortable in the bag, but it was doable. This was just a sort of proof of concept since I wasn't able to spend the night in it, but it has me much more optimistic. I'll match a Noah's 12 tarp with it and I think he'll be pretty comfortable.

PS: He has absolutely no gear at all, so I'm outfitting him this go-round. Then he can buy his own!
    Last edited by HomesteaderWB; 03-12-2022 at 08:23. Reason: Added PS

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast