WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Wookie or Yeti?

I had a SL BlackBird and a Wookie on my mind for something tov try this summer. But then I saw the Yeti. I’m only a little over 5’5” and the Yeti would be almost full size for me. And weight about half as much as the Wookie. But … if I get a BB and Wookie together, the promo discount drops the price to almost the same as the BB and Yeti. In other words, for the same price, I sort of get the full length model (and twice the weight) for free.

It’s like when you rent an economy car and they upgrade you to a bigger model - so you get a bigger model for the same price you were going to pay, but you also get less gas mileage. Is that a win?

What do you think - if you're NOT 6’ tall, would you still get the Wookie. Or has the Yeti served you well?
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-04-2022 at 22:34.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Santa just brought me a custom 20* Yeti with 2 ounces overstuff. Burnt orange inner; Ocean Blue outer. Weight and volume penalty is not a factor since I no longer backpack. I’m 5’6” and 130 lbs. I love the full coverage and no fiddle factor.

[AIMG]A355F248-2474-418C-8B3D-DA7C1CC4E8C0.jpgA355F248-2474-418C-8B3D-DA7C1CC4E8C0.jpg[/AIMG]

Not sure how I ended up with double images, but at least you get to see it deployed.

Nancy

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen2kayak View Post
    Santa just brought me a custom 20* Yeti with 2 ounces overstuff. Burnt orange inner; Ocean Blue outer. Weight and volume penalty is not a factor since I no longer backpack. I’m 5’6” and 130 lbs. I love the full coverage and no fiddle factor.

[AIMG]A355F248-2474-418C-8B3D-DA7C1CC4E8C0.jpgA355F248-2474-418C-8B3D-DA7C1CC4E8C0.jpg[/AIMG]

Not sure how I ended up with double images, but at least you get to see it deployed.

Nancy
    That is a Wooki

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Countrybois; 03-04-2022 at 22:55.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    What do you think - if you're not 6’ tall, would you still get the Wookie. Or has the Yeti served you well?
    I've owned both models. At 5'5" I would personally go with the Yeti, especially if you dont sleep cold. Setup of a Yeti is just as quick, theres no secondary suspension or anything. Basically hang it on both ends, and move it into position. The Yeti I had was incredibly light, but at 6' more of my legs were exposed than I was use to with a partial UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    That is a Wookie

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    That is a Wooki!!!! Thanks for pointing out the error. Nancy

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    With regards to the fit, the Wooki is much better. You don't have to choose between no gaps and no pressure on head and feet. The only thing where the Yeti has advantage is weight. So if you want to lighten your pack and sleep warm, go for the Yeti. If you want to get maximum warmth and comfort, go for the Wooki.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I am 6' tall and own one Wookie and four Yetis. Wookie when camp is close, Yetis for all other endeavors. To be honest, I have never been cold or uncomfortable in a Yeti and probably don't actually need the Wookie.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    With regards to the fit, the Wooki is much better. You don't have to choose between no gaps and no pressure on head and feet. The only thing where the Yeti has advantage is weight. So if you want to lighten your pack and sleep warm, go for the Yeti. If you want to get maximum warmth and comfort, go for the Wooki.
    What he said!

The Yeti has a more traditional shock cord suspension although it does not have an adjustable length and (as mentioned earlier) it has no secondary suspension. The Yeti (at 40" wide) is also slightly narrower than the Wooki (44" wide) so if you have broad shoulders, that might play into the decision-making. I do have the Yeti slip off my shoulder occasionally, but I have that happen with my other shock cord suspension UQs too. And because it has no secondary suspension, it will sometimes slide up toward the head end of my hammock during the night and I'll need to slide it back down a bit. Neither issue is a major issue. Just normal fiddle factor stuff. But you won't ever have either problem with a Wooki. The Wooki has no shock cord suspension (it has elastic attachment points instead) and it is designed to fit to the WB hammock exactly so there are never any adjustments needed. It's fiddle factor free.

I'd echo the sentiments above. Between these two options (everything else being equal), backpackers likely would prefer the Yeti for the space and weight savings and everyone else likely would prefer the Wooki.

A couple of additional things to note:

First, both the stock Yeti and Wooki are designed for standard lay (head left/feet right). If you sleep opposite of that, you'll need to have WB do a custom reverse lay build for you. That might come at additional cost and might not be part of the promo package deal, so definitely check. And if you are a flopper (like me) and like to change your lay angle during the night, you'll either need to train yourself not to flop when you use a WB UQ or go with a more traditional UQ from a different vendor.

Second, there are two different sizes of Wooki, so if you go with that one, make sure you get the right size for your hammock. The WB website will tell you which one fits which hammock.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    PopcornFool, thank you for the input.

I have some WB ¾ length UQ’s for 0°, 20°, 40° temperature ranges. I’m going to try a lighter BB - a SL - and lighter material on the Wookie. So the weight/bulk increase over my DL + HG UQ setup won’t be so great.

Also, after paying attention to the temperatures I’m exposed to, I’m thinking just two ranges, 10° and 30°, will give me a more useful, longer, season coverage. I’d still have my lightest (40°) and warmest (0°) when hanging in those extremes. We are a few weeks away from May and we are still getting snow in town (but we should have seen the end of that last week) and below freezing temperatures at night.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Wookie. So the weight/bulk increase… won’t be so great.
    If you compare the weight difference of a similar spec wooki and yeti, it’s like 2 oz. If you add a sit pad just to be able to use a yeti, you haven’t really saved weight

Space is at a premium for UL packs so that would be a differentiator for some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast