Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 11’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

BBxlc vs Chameleon on calf ridge

Hello folks, I’m wanting to upgrade from my old Hennessy to a newer, longer hammock. I’m looking at the War Bonnet Blackbird xlc and the Dutchware Chameleon. Unfortunately I’m unable to test each first. My biggest concern is calf ridge. It bothers me a lot in my Hennessy. For those who have used the xlc and the chameleon, which is better on calf ridge? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A lot depends on hang angles, where you are in the hammock...etc.
    I can offer some solutions at least.
    Stay at it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have a Chameleon and a WB Eldorado, which is the BB XLC minus the shelf. It all boils down to the setup.

When I first got the Eldorado, I didn't really look at the instructions and set it up the same way for the Chameleon and immediately ran into calf ridge issues. Reading the instructions and from posters here: the foot end needs to be much higher than on the DW hammocks. You are higher up on the head end in the WB, so getting the foot end higher helps roll you into the sweet spot and a pretty flat lay.

My go to hammock is the Chameleon with a symmetrical bug net, simply because I move a lot and had issues with both right and left lay asyms. Setup correctly, I don't have any issues with calf ridge so long as I lay on the diagonal, right or left. But, if I get off the diagonal, the inside leg gets pushed up from the fabric.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I have an original Blackbird XLC so I can’t speak for the newer version, but as Shug said it all depends on the hang. I have several gathered end hammocks as well and sometimes I get calf ridge and sometimes I don’t. It’s all about learning how to tune the machine.

As for the BBXLC, I find it a little more challenging (not calf ridge, but hanging) then traditional gathered end hammocks. I have to find trees a little further apart and I have to play with the angles to dial it in.

You may want to attend a group hang or get with someone in your area that has one to try out.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 11’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thank you, watched that video not long ago! I think much of my problem with my current hammock may be angle. The bottom entrance on the Hennessy doesn’t help. Got the zipper mod done, but still there! Love the videos!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 11’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I’m leaning toward the chameleon, the symmetrical big net is a big reason. I appreciate the response!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You won't get an answer that applies necessarily to your situation, because whether you get a calf ridge mainly depends on two factors: lay angle and fabric stretch.

The stretchier the hammock fabric is, the deeper heavier body parts will sink in and the higher lighter body parts will be pushed. This is what creates ridges in the first place. If you lie in a super firm fabric, there won't be any ridges. But it's also not very comfortable.

Since pretty much all fabrics have some stretch, it's mostly a question of how sensitive you are in certain body parts - or put differently which body parts are located over the ridge. It's better to have the thighs over the ridge than the knees or calves. You can achieve this with a more perpendicular lay. For that you need more hammock width in relation to your body size. This means smaller people have an advantage. The other possibility is to lie more inline and have the calf ridge run under as much leg area as possible. In order to be able to lie more inline without going banana-like the hammock needs less sag.

Bottom line: depending on your size and hammock fabric and width, either the XLC or the Chameleon could solve your problem. You will need to try both and possibly in different styles.

For what it's worth, I solved my calf ridge troubles with a pillow under my knees.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >For what it's worth, I solved my calf ridge troubles with a pillow under my knees.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I feel like I was more prone to calf ridge with wide hammocks than standard. I've owned a half zip, chameleon symmetrical, RR, and an xlc (old design). Never had calf on the zip, RR, or xlc but can't seem to work out the chameleon so I recently sold it

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Get a ridgerunner and do away with the problem of calf ridge altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast