Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Sheltowee/Bonefire Asym. It always hangs from the same points on the Tarp suspension. You pretty much always lay in the same place in the hammock. Full length under insulation. No cinch cords. No cold air leaks. No calf ridge.

I am done chasing all these problems
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    Get a ridgerunner and do away with the problem of calf ridge altogether.
    Me also.

But I will add that in my XLC, when the foot end is appreciably higher I notice it less. I haven't tinkered around on this issue specifically but I do sleep more comfortable this way.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Sheltowee/Bonefire Asym. It always hangs from the same points on the Tarp suspension. You pretty much always lay in the same place in the hammock. Full length under insulation. No cinch cords. No cold air leaks. No calf ridge.

I am done chasing all these problems
    Are those still available for purchase? I had long ago solved those GE specific problems(for me at least) with bridge and 90º hammocks, which have their own (minor for me) issues. But more recently, i have them solved even in a GE hammock with the Superior Gear insulated hammock. Or, with my other GE hammocks, a knee pillow. But, that is no help with surprise UQ issues. The insulated hammock does seem to completely solve UQ issues, and I seem to be able to avoid calf ridge in this either all together or enough not to bother me. I have always been able to sleep in this one, not enough calf ridge- if any- to bother me. Unlike most of my GE hammocks, which usually require a knee pillow.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-14-2022 at 17:34.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    An adjustable ridgeline, whether custom made or I make myself has made a difference for me. Different tree distance and different hang angle requires different ridgeline length. This is finicky but it helps to find that sweet spot with very little calf ridge.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStruck View Post
    Hello folks, I’m wanting to upgrade from my old Hennessy to a newer, longer hammock. I’m looking at the War Bonnet Blackbird xlc and the Dutchware Chameleon. Unfortunately I’m unable to test each first. My biggest concern is calf ridge. It bothers me a lot in my Hennessy. For those who have used the xlc and the chameleon, which is better on calf ridge? Thanks for any advice you can give!
    I've napped in both, and as Shug mentions in his video, it often deals with how you hang the hammock as I've experienced calf ridge in both and I've experienced no calf ridge in both. I find them comparable. I think the flexibility that comes with the Chameleon is better, but I'm not familiar enough to help more. If you can make it to a group hang to test them both out, that would be the best option.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Are those still available for purchase? I had long ago solved those GE specific problems(for me at least) with bridge and 90º hammocks, which have their own (minor for me) issues. But more recently, i have them solved even in a GE hammock with the Superior Gear insulated hammock. Or, with my other GE hammocks, a knee pillow. But, that is no help with surprise UQ issues. The insulated hammock does seem to completely solve UQ issues, and I seem to be able to avoid calf ridge in this either all together or enough not to bother me. I have always been able to sleep in this one, not enough calf ridge- if any- to bother me. Unlike most of my GE hammocks, which usually require a knee pillow.
    Alex has made a few, but he has (understandably) taken a break of unknown duration with his new child. I have been working on a prototype insulated bridge for a few years, but never brought it to market as I continue to play with the bugnet design. As more of a family man myself these days, I still do one off stuff, but nothing mainstream production.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    "Originally Posted by BillyBob58: Are those still available for purchase?"

Alex has made a few, but he has (understandably) taken a break of unknown duration with his new child. I have been working on a prototype insulated bridge for a few years, but never brought it to market as I continue to play with the bugnet design. As more of a family man myself these days, I still do one off stuff, but nothing mainstream production.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks!
    And very worth the trouble to see or not. I've bought a lot of gear but for me and my needs/wants, this stuff has been the best. Thanks again Alex and Jeremy.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 03-16-2022 at 16:18.
    Signature suspended

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    Get a ridgerunner and do away with the problem of calf ridge altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Saltfly, A ridgerunner is a camping cot without legs suspended between two trees. Does it work yes.
    Is it old-school hammock camping? Not even close. 11414559056_05e5f5a94d_b.jpg

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 11’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I've napped in both, and as Shug mentions in his video, it often deals with how you hang the hammock as I've experienced calf ridge in both and I've experienced no calf ridge in both. I find them comparable. I think the flexibility that comes with the Chameleon is better, but I'm not familiar enough to help more. If you can make it to a group hang to test them both out, that would be the best option.

I appreciate the response. I tried out a BBXLC and liked it. What you said about the ridge line makes sense. I added a ridge line with extra longer to work with to an ENO style hammock and found different lengths were needed at different hangs. Would like to find a group hang in my area (I’m in south Georgia).

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 11’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    An adjustable ridgeline, whether custom made or I make myself has made a difference for me. Different tree distance and different hang angle requires different ridgeline length. This is finicky but it helps to find that sweet spot with very little calf ridge.
    That does make sense. Seems like it could help if you couldn’t get the right hang. Have kind of experienced this with a diy ridge line I added to an ENO style hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast