DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Epic trip by the sub-zero hammock master.

Interesting observation on taking the morning constitutional in extreme cold, which I've observed personally many times in similar conditions. My theory is that the body recognizes that this is the #1 (or, haha, #2) priority and amazingly shuts down all other protestations until this job is done.

Very instructional to hear your snowshoe observations, which confirm what I've suspected for a while. The scraping and crunching of modern snowshoes is annoying but they sure are easier to maneuver. No way that wooden snowshoes could handle side-hilling and rocky/icy chutes the way the MSR lightning ascents do, but for long stretches of flat and deep snow those Ojibwes are ideal.

People who say sleeping in down layers is not effective probably have never slept in temps this cold.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    You've probably answered this before, but in the morning of your videos, you're wearing the puffy and other layers. Do you sleep in those layers or is that just an artifact of the camera coming out after you've already been stirring a while?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    What happened to the silky saw? What saw did you use? Just curious. When I was looking for a camp saw a few years ago, I almost bought a Silky, then I winter camped with a friend and used his Bob Dustrude (like your young friend had a few weeks ago). I always wonder if I made the right choice, so I'm wondering where your Silky is.

Thanks for the great video, -30° is a bit much but your enthusiasm is infectious! Laurie and I are hoping to double or even triple the number of camping trips this year. To inspire us we've been watching your entire catalog, or almost every video lol there are alot.

Ps: we love how you keep calling Bean your daughters dog when you have clearly become attached to him, and he you.
    Somehow I misplaced my Bob Dustrade saw~~~ still looking for it. I was just trying a new saw and left the Silky at home. Wish I had it. I used a folding Agawa Boreal 21" saw. It did good. Both saws have pros and cons.
    Yessir....I do have a lot of videos at this point. Hope you and Laurie hit your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Epic trip by the sub-zero hammock master.

Interesting observation on taking the morning constitutional in extreme cold, which I've observed personally many times in similar conditions. My theory is that the body recognizes that this is the #1 (or, haha, #2) priority and amazingly shuts down all other protestations until this job is done.

Very instructional to hear your snowshoe observations, which confirm what I've suspected for a while. The scraping and crunching of modern snowshoes is annoying but they sure are easier to maneuver. No way that wooden snowshoes could handle side-hilling and rocky/icy chutes the way the MSR lightning ascents do, but for long stretches of flat and deep snow those Ojibwes are ideal.

People who say sleeping in down layers is not effective probably have never slept in temps this cold.
    Amazing how the body works during that constitutional. One of my favorite parts of the day.
    The binding I use on the Ojibwes are real good. Have to be mindful going down steeper inclines with pulk behind and really focus on ball of foot pressure. https://shop.gvsnowshoes.com/collect...ogie-a-cliquet
    I also think folks miss being as warm as you can before crawling into the down for the night. It is an interesting science.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    You've probably answered this before, but in the morning of your videos, you're wearing the puffy and other layers. Do you sleep in those layers or is that just an artifact of the camera coming out after you've already been stirring a while?
    I did sleep in the thin Outdoor Research Helium jacket that night since I knew the cold would be extreme. But most of the time I add the OR jacket at about 4 or 5am when I pee to be ready for breakfast from the hammock. Thin shirt and an merino wool insulated shirt under.
    One pair of merino insulated long johns and a thin fleece pair of tights on legs. One pair of rag wool loose socks. Balaclava, two Black Rock down beanies and an old down hood and fleece facemask on head.
    I do this so I can wake and get right to my morning brew. I do get up to pee a couple times in the night. No lingering.....

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Minus 31* Fahrenheit
    Shug I was in the office the days my teacher was explaining math.
    Minus 31* is like negative numbers? Right!
    Negative numbers is like imaginary numbers? Right?!?!?
    So, it’s all in your mind…
    It’s hardly cold down here.

Stay safe, Shug, you are a national treasure!

Phantom brain freeze.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    We watched it last night. BRRRRRR! You look like an Ewok with that white fuzzy wake up face! Debbie likes your big hat. Beaver?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Another great sub-zero video! In those conditions, I bet when you stop whatever you're doing & listen, it's super quiet.

One of these days, I'd like to do a multi-day snow trip.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peeeeetey View Post
    We watched it last night. BRRRRRR! You look like an Ewok with that white fuzzy wake up face! Debbie likes your big hat. Beaver?
    It is a beaver hat my Alaskan sis-in-law made me over 20 years ago as a Christmas gift. Meg and I were in Tanana, Alaska where they live and trapped on Yukon river in 1986 or so teaching a circus residency. So I actually got to eat some of that beaver for a couple of dinners.
    I had lost it for some years and just recently found it. Very very warm. And I feel more artic-y in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Another great sub-zero video! In those conditions, I bet when you stop whatever you're doing & listen, it's super quiet.

One of these days, I'd like to do a multi-day snow trip.

Thanks for posting.
    You are so right.Very quiet. Only the wind and sometime snow falling from trees. A few bird sounds. Trees popping at night. Magical and I mean that.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Outstanding video what a cold night!!! Thanks for the report!!!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I forgot to mention, it was super special getting video of that gray jay eating from your hand.

In the Adirondacks a gray jay will occasionally follow you around all day and eat from your hand, as will chickadees. Hard to believe those tiny birds can survive in such a harsh environment!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast