Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I don’t know if this answers any of your questions WV, but my last DIY Underquilt is a double layer of Insulation (Apex) 3” and 1.5”. I used the full width of 3” and cut the1.5” into strips that I then tacked to the 3” sheet. When I sewed everything together, I only sewed the edges. For the areas with the strips, I just sewed a few short stitches along the rows in sort of a quilt like fashion. Not sure what the temp rating is, but I have had it down to 20* and was very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks, Need2no. If I understood you correctly, the strips could move a bit (like overlapping siding?), so it probably assumed the curved shape of the occupied hammock better? I have used longitudinal strips of synthetic insulation along the edges of a bridge hammock, then filled in the center with down, all over a single layer of synthetic for the whole surface. There are lots of ways to combine materials. It's good to hear of another one.

By the way, pixielauren was the one with the questions (and good ones, too). The only question I had was about how much extra length lorazepam added to the bottom layer. I would have thought 6" instead of 2".

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    I will try to get some pics with someone in it. It doesn't appear to me to tighten up with the extra 2" along with the side differential.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Get someone who knows you pretty well to measure the thickness by pressing the insulation in from the bottom when you're in the hammock. That, and, of course, if you're uniformly warm at 4 am are better than visual inspection. Sounds like you did very well, though. You'd probably already know if it was being compressed much.

In recent years all my insulated hammocks have been bridge hammocks, so there's no adjusting of lengthwise tension with an underquilt suspension, and it's important to get the length just right. When I use a separate underquilt the edge bungee cord and the corner suspensions need to be dialled in - similar to a gathered end hammock and UQ. It's fiddly, but also flexible.
    Last edited by WV; 02-28-2022 at 07:44.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 ripstop 9.5-foot
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Costco set
    Suspension
    Hummingbird button
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Pixielauren, one more idea about two layers of insulation: if you have an air space between the insulation layers (generally not desirable because of the possibility of convective air currents, but better than having the bottom layer compress the top layer), you can fill that space with a couple of ounces of down.
    Oooohh, yes! That's an excellent idea too -- thanks!
    I have sewn my own: Backpack, hammock, bugnet, tarp, "Costco" top quilt with faux baffles, and Costco underquilt with "clew" suspension.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 ripstop 9.5-foot
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Costco set
    Suspension
    Hummingbird button
    Quote Originally Posted by Need2noCallahan View Post
    my last DIY Underquilt is a double layer of Insulation (Apex) 3” and 1.5”.
    Thank you for the info on the temp rating! I get what you're saying about the strips and quilting them together. Is there a reason you constructed it with strips instead of just a double layer?
    I have sewn my own: Backpack, hammock, bugnet, tarp, "Costco" top quilt with faux baffles, and Costco underquilt with "clew" suspension.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielauren View Post
    Thank you for the info on the temp rating! I get what you're saying about the strips and quilting them together. Is there a reason you constructed it with strips instead of just a double layer?
    I had some left overs, but not enough for a whole project. I made a couple pillows and the rest I cut into strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 ripstop 9.5-foot
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Costco set
    Suspension
    Hummingbird button
    Quote Originally Posted by Need2noCallahan View Post
    I had some left overs, but not enough for a whole project. I made a couple pillows and the rest I cut into strips.
    Ah, so it was resourcefulness and ingenuity! Awesome!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    To do quilting by tying loops of yarn/string, cut a piece of cardboard the width of the loft you expect, and tie each loop around the cardboard. This will maintain the ties at the correct size to allow the insulation to loft without constricting it. I don't believe that, tied this way, air infiltration happens the way that occurs with sewn-through seams.

(That said, you've had a lot of other suggestions that make tying loops for quilting moot!)

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 ripstop 9.5-foot
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Costco set
    Suspension
    Hummingbird button
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    To do quilting by tying loops of yarn/string, cut a piece of cardboard the width of the loft you expect, and tie each loop around the cardboard. This will maintain the ties at the correct size to allow the insulation to loft without constricting it.
    Yes -- I think I saw that tip on the RayWay website (Ray Jardine) -- I looked at his quilt kit at one point.

But thank you! And I'm still undecided on quilting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12