Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Accumulation temptation

So I have two sets of quilts(20 and 40) two hammocks, two tarps, one backpack and one daypack. I don’t have room to store anymore and don’t have need for anything else… yet I want more quilts, backpacks etc. Granted I do tend to accumulate in any thing I get into, whether it’s guns, fishing poles, snowshoes, garden stuff etc.
    This problem plus that I buy more expensive items, which my wife never says anything about can really eat at a guy 🤔😳.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Try MYOG.
    Helps with more rationalizations about how much more everything would be of you bought it.

It's a lie of course, and you get to collect gear, tools, supplies. Plus several versions of everything as you try to get it just right.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I too am a gear addict!

For me at least, I end up trying new gear out, then re-selling old gear or something I just bought and tested. This lets me try things out while still keeping the hoard to manageable levels.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    I too am a gear addict!

For me at least, I end up trying new gear out, then re-selling old gear or something I just bought and tested. This lets me try things out while still keeping the hoard to manageable levels.
    This is me to a T. But I have a hard time letting go of older gear because I might need it some day!

I'm very niche driven... for almost any given location, season and conditions I have just the right gear. Sounds perfect but it's really maddening sometimes.

But it would drive me absolutely bonkers if I were to carry a 62L pack for a summer overnight trip.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    But it would drive me absolutely bonkers if I were to carry a 62L pack for a summer overnight trip.
    This is why I still have my 65L Osprey Atmos. I need the 3 extra liters.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My name is cougarmeat and I am a gear addict. But it’s not an addiction, it’s research/education.

It all started decades ago when I bought an avalanche beacon at REI. As I walked out of the store, I realized the beacon would be worthless unless the person I was sking with had one too. And, unfortunately, most the people I had to play with were not as safety oriented. So I turned around and bought a second beacon for any person I was skiing with to use.

Is there a difference between a WildernessLogics Lite Owl and Snipe - not much, but they are different. And now WildernessLogics is gone. And Hammeck is gone, And BIAS is gone, And Tato Stands are gone (but Tato is still there), etc.

Maybe it’s like this … the average person will have a crescent wrench. But a mechanic will have a full socket set.

You don’t need a quilt for every 10 degree temperature range; one for every 20 degree increment is fine
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwinters View Post
    So I have two sets of quilts(20 and 40) two hammocks, two tarps, one backpack and one daypack. I don’t have room to store anymore and don’t have need for anything else… yet I want more quilts, backpacks etc. Granted I do tend to accumulate in any thing I get into, whether it’s guns, fishing poles, snowshoes, garden stuff etc.
    This problem plus that I buy more expensive items, which my wife never says anything about can really eat at a guy 樂.
    Yep. Don't need anymore, but I still keep looking. I got 3 hammocks, 3 TQ (20/20 wide/40 Burrows), 3 UQ (20/40 Phoenix and 20 Incubator), 3 tarps (WB MJ, TF, SF) and two packs. I have spare gear for friends that want to try hammocking. I let my son and his wife use the gear as well. Fortunately though, I fit everything into a standard bedroom closet with room to spare in my home office (the smallest bedroom). So I have more room for stuff.

Also, I should get rid of the starter stuff I bought on the cheap but don't use. That would free up even more room for new stuff!

There's a rule in cycling:

The correct number of bikes to own is N+1 (Where N = number of currently owned bikes)

I must admit I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to gear, I'm still using thirty year old kit on a regular basis.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    There's a rule in cycling:

The correct number of bikes to own is N+1 (Where N = number of currently owned bikes)
    Too true... also love your sig!
    Last edited by Salt; 02-23-2022 at 15:32.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    Try MYOG.
    Helps with more rationalizations about how much more everything would be of you bought it.

It's a lie of course, and you get to collect gear, tools, supplies. Plus several versions of everything as you try to get it just right.

我宁愿在山上。
    This is what I am doing. A couple of apex UQ for 3 season use, and once the sewing skills get better, a 0-20* down UQ for winter.
    I plan on begging Shug for a pic of his fleece face mask so I can attempt to copy it. Booties, hoods, and mid weight gear are on the list. Maybe try an UL pack kit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast