Print2Fabric
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness HG
    Suspension
    Mantis w Spider Da
    Images

PA > MAHHA SPRING > April 29 - May 1, 2022

16th Annual Spring MAHHA 2022!

This is a Family-Friendly Event at the CALEDONIA STATE PARK location! We are continuing to be a little more COVID-conscious this year, but it will be great to get out! Please note all the changes below for this gathering along with lots of fun little perks that come with the new location.

WHEN
    FRIDAY, April 29 - SUNDAY, May 1

WHERE
    Caledonia State Park
    101 Pine Grove Rd, Fayetteville, PA
    https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/F...s/default.aspx
    GPS DD: Lat. 39.9089 Long. -77.4783

We have reserved all 5 group sites once again, so plan on a weekend of fun, hiking, gear showing, golf, and as always, eating. The cost for this is covered by donations.
    FULL CAMPGROUND MAP http://elibrary.dcnr.pa.gov/GetDocum...LE_ParkMap.pdf

GROUP CAMPGROUND MAP
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1itD...ew?usp=sharing

PARKING GUIDE / MAP
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SAI9RH1B2Mq3VyrisA5mb_cv3i90XAMb/view?usp=sharing
    The Yellow arrow shows the group campground entrance (gear drop off lot).
    The Pink arrow shows Parking Lot #1 where you can park your car for the event.
    The Light Blue arrow shows AT Overnight Parking lot if you are backpacking before/after event.

CALEDONIA REC MAP
    http://elibrary.dcnr.pa.gov/GetDocum..._ParkGuide.pdf

WHO'S COMING? SIGN UP - Please click the link below to sign up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FOOD DONATION SIGN UP – PINK underlined tab at the bottom of the page https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

EVENT DETAILS

Meals & Cook-off
    Dutch would like to have a cast iron cook-off on Saturday night. Bring your best Dutch oven meal for dinner. You can cook over an open fire or use charcoal (please provide your own). Prizes will be awarded!! We have 3 different categories to sign up for:

• Main Dish
    • Side Dish
    • Dessert

Everyone is encouraged to bring a food contribution for dinner (cast-iron or not). Please see the sign-up sheet for categories to sign up in. There are other items needed at the bottom of the sheet, so please sign up if you are able.

Cast Iron Dishes need to be on the serving table at 5:15pm for judging. Meal will begin at 5:30pm. Cast Iron Cook Off winners will be announced shortly after.
    Instead of reserving a pavilion, we have decided to pop easy-ups and eat at our group camp site.

• Saturday Breakfast: Breakfast burritos
    • Saturday Dinner: Cast iron / Dutch oven Cookoff

The cost for items not provided by attendees is covered by donations.

Raffle
    As a thank you to all our previous vendors, we will not be holding a raffle this Spring. All remaining banners created for previous hangs will be displayed on site throughout the hang.

Cast Iron Cooking Class
    If you’ve watched the reality tv show, Alone, then you may already be familiar with Dan Wowack. We have asked Dan to come visit our hang and he has graciously accepted! He will be holding a cast iron cooking class from 2-3pm on Saturday. If you’ve always wanted to be a pioneer and cook over the fire, this is your chance to learn how. With an easy, bushcraft approach, Dan will cover how to use things around us to aid in making a fantastic one-pot meal. This class will be a great introduction to his easy-to-understand teaching style offered in his Coalcracker Bushcraft School. Check him out at www.coalcrackerbushcraft.com and see what he has to offer. A huge thank you to goes out to Dan, Mike, and Alex for helping to teach this class. Check his YouTube channel and subscribe. coalcrackerbushcraft
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qur4MYMtUyg

Free Camping
    All 5 of the group sites have been reserved for this event. The cost for these sites is covered by donations.

Cell Phone Coverage
    The park office mentions that they have pretty good cell service for Verizon but ATT can be sketchy. However, Wi-Fi is available at the park office with password shown in window. You will find best coverage toward Rt 30 corridor.

Precautions
    Please bring your own hand sanitizer, mask for close quarters, and observe all PA COVID-19 recommendations. https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/dis...Travelers.aspx
    If you are showing even mild COVID symptoms, or if a family member is sick, please do not come to the event. We are asking you to take your temperature before heading to the gathering. The last thing we want is for anyone to get sick.
    We are asking for each group campsite to be cautious. Also, please be respectful of other’s choices to wear a mask or not because of health conditions.

Pets
    Great news! This park is “pro pet”. However, they only welcome well behaved pets. Also, whether you bring a dog, cat, bird, or ferret, please keep him/her/them on a leash.

Free Firewood
    Each of these group sites have their own campfire ring. Friends of Caledonia are dropping off a load of firewood on Friday night as we will be donating toward their care of the park. Note: The park allows gathering dead, down wood, but no chainsaws in the park.

Water
    The group site has water at the group camp bathhouse. Also, cool stuff, they have a sink outside of the restrooms for dishwashing. Another fun fact: with our reservation, we have shower privileges at the Hosack Run Campground. Just a short walk down the Chambersburg Waterline Trail and you have new, beautiful shower facility available for use. Yay!!

Bathrooms
    The group site has men and women's flush toilets and sinks with running water. See above links for shower house location.

Parking
    Our group will be the only one using the group parking lot. We should have enough room, but more parking is available at the park office. The Midland Trail will take you to Group Camping from there.

Pre-Hikers/Post-Hikers – New COVID regulations: they are not tracking cars for overnight parking at this time. You will get a ticket if you park in the general campground overnight. Map for AT Overnight Parking: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K2oDMzDGcJ-KmOxHsb2GKSiCHYSQfgR3/view?usp=sharing

Alcohol
    No alcoholic beverages allowed in the state park. Rangers will be patrolling the area.

Vendor Sales
    As with all MAHHAs, there will be no vendor sales. MAHHA hangs are for fun, new friends, food, chillin’, etc. We, as a group, do not have a sales permit for this park and have no interest in obtaining one.

Clean-up After Dinner
    After the meal: Please make sure you clean up your eating area and take with you, or dispose of, any food containers and cast-iron items you’ve brought. This will help to leave the group camping area in the same or better condition than when we arrived.

Leaving Your Campsite
    Sunday when leaving group hang area: Please look around your area before you leave to make sure everything is cleaned up, again, let us leave the group hang area in the same or better condition than when we arrived. If someone forgot something, take it with you and post on HF.

Organizers
    Thanks to Dutch, Vicki, Kristal, and attendees for all your contributions and volunteer work on this event each year!!! We have an excellent group!!
    Last edited by Dutchette; 02-21-2022 at 14:03.
    I want to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing
    - - - as though I had wings. Mary Oliver, Starlings in Winter

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Sorry to hear the grove at Pine Grove is no more (or not what it was, apparently). This looks like a great hang coming up!
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Signed up and lookin' forward to it!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Vacation request submitted, we'll see....

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilts
    Suspension
    All of Them

PA > MAHHA SPRING > April 29 - May 1, 2022

just signed up. can't wait to check out he new location and see Dutch again

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    Vacation request submitted, we'll see....
    Vacation approved, its been a few years, see ya there

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Signed on the dotted line!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Xenon Sil rectngl
    Insulation
    WB UQ
    Suspension
    Spider daisy chain
    Just signed up, can't wait!!

Looking forward to it. This will be my first one. I'm a noob! I've spent one weekend in my hammock so far. Loved it! I'm looking forward to meeting new people and gaining knowledge. Maybe if I"m lucky there'll be someone there who can guide me along. See you all soon <3

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Print2Fabric
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness HG
    Suspension
    Mantis w Spider Da
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PureSpirit View Post
    Looking forward to it. This will be my first one. I'm a noob! I've spent one weekend in my hammock so far. Loved it! I'm looking forward to meeting new people and gaining knowledge. Maybe if I'm lucky there'll be someone there who can guide me along. See you all soon <3
    Guide-chances are high!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!
    I want to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing
    - - - as though I had wings. Mary Oliver, Starlings in Winter

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast