Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Good stuff. I had a such a great time on that trail over the years - especially my thru in 2020.

Thank you for the fine report!!!

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    looked like a nice place to camp good trip report to
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Great trip in a beautiful area! More funner with a light pack, for sure.

As you found, tarp pitch is definitely critical in a windy area, with low and perpendicular being the only way to go with a minimal tarp unless there's optional end coverage.

The SMD Lunar Duo is one of the rare lightweight 2-person tents that will actually fit 2 adults. A few heavy mountaineering 2-person dome tents are sized appropriately, but the Lunar Duo and Lightheart Gear Duo are among the few that won't feel like a sardine can when occupied by 2 actual adults.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Im wanting to section hike the FHT. How would you manage drop off/pick up? Unless you looped or hired someone to get you?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The SMD Lunar Duo is one of the rare lightweight 2-person tents that will actually fit 2 adults. A few heavy mountaineering 2-person dome tents are sized appropriately, but the Lunar Duo and Lightheart Gear Duo are among the few that won't feel like a sardine can when occupied by 2 actual adults.
    It was my primary backpacking shelter for three years before I discovered hammocks. It’s a bit on the heavy side for a backpacking shelter but I also don’t feel like I have to baby it or keep my kids away from it, or loaning it to relative newbies as in this case. It does indeed fit two humans and their stuff comfortably, and for one human it feels downright palatial. I would probably still use it but I’m spoiled by my hammock and can’t stand crawling in and out in the dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Im wanting to section hike the FHT. How would you manage drop off/pick up? Unless you looped or hired someone to get you?
    There are numerous access points in most sections and I will typically do out and backs or team up with a friend and leave a car at the end of a section. There are folks who will shuttle you for a fee also. More details here: https://foothillstrail.org/shuttle-service/

The guide book and map are an absolute necessity when planning hikes on this trail.

-- Josh

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I’d like to thru hike the trail, probably on an aggressive miles per day calendar given it’s tough for me to get consecutive days off work. Also up for joining anyone on section hikes and staging cars for shorter segments.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I’d like to thru hike the trail, probably on an aggressive miles per day calendar given it’s tough for me to get consecutive days off work. Also up for joining anyone on section hikes and staging cars for shorter segments.
    The FHT folks say 5 days is average for a thru-hike of the whole trail. That works out to about 15-ish miles per day. On paper this seems easy but once you get out there it's a whole lot of up and down. The next section on my "todo" list is from Laurel Fork Falls to the Bad Creek access, 22 miles including Heartbreak Ridge and the unnamed ridge between Jackie's Branch and Rock Creek. I figure if I can do the section from Laurel Fork Falls to Canebreak, and then make it from Canebreak to Bad Creek in the next day (16.4 miles in the guidebook) and not feel like death the day after, then 15 mile days on the trail is doable. In my current condition I'm skeptical The biggest single day I've had on any trail up to this point in my life is right around 10 miles on the Florida Trail, and while that was relatively flat I also had a 45lb pack on.
    -- Josh

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_outdoors View Post
    The FHT folks say 5 days is average for a thru-hike of the whole trail. That works out to about 15-ish miles per day. On paper this seems easy but once you get out there it's a whole lot of up and down. The next section on my "todo" list is from Laurel Fork Falls to the Bad Creek access, 22 miles including Heartbreak Ridge and the unnamed ridge between Jackie's Branch and Rock Creek. I figure if I can do the section from Laurel Fork Falls to Canebreak, and then make it from Canebreak to Bad Creek in the next day (16.4 miles in the guidebook) and not feel like death the day after, then 15 mile days on the trail is doable. In my current condition I'm skeptical The biggest single day I've had on any trail up to this point in my life is right around 10 miles on the Florida Trail, and while that was relatively flat I also had a 45lb pack on.
    You can do it, especially with getting your kit dialed in for lower weight. not sure if you’ve seen any of Early Riser’s videos but he did it in 3 days banging out 20+ milers. I’m not doing those anymore but I have done a few 16-17 mile days on recent trips.

https://youtu.be/jldt7Gt6ADo

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I like a good trip report with pictures and this one is great!
    That whole section from Laurel Valley to Bad Creek is amazing.
    I’ve camped at the site below Virginia Hawkins several times. Love that place.
    I’ve thru hiked the trail once in each direction. If I do it again, I’ll start at Table Rock.
    I take 8 days to complete it.
    15 mile days are not in any plan of mine.

He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12