Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swap out continuous loops for Warbonnet loops with buckles?

My absolute favorite suspension option is the buckles offered by Warbonnet:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/1-buckle-set/

I've tried several different buckle/suspension options on my Dream Hammock Sparrow, but have encountered issues with all of them (slipping, not as easy to adjust, that sort of thing). The Warbonnet buckles are easy to adjust and don't slip. The problem is that the buckles go on the continuous loop (the amsteel goes through the buckles), so I'm not sure how to retrofit those buckles to a different hammock. How hard would it be to swap out the amsteel loops on my Sparrow with a set from Warbonnet? I also have plans in the works for a new hammock from Dream Hammock - is it possible that they could use these buckles if I mailed them ahead of time or something? I love Dream hammock's option to have different colored amsteel at the head end, something Warbonnet doesn't offer, so it would be amazing if Dream Hammock could use these buckles instead of the cinch buckles. Has anyone ever tried anything like this/contacted them about this?

Thanks.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I know on the WB hammocks, they don't have a sewn channel for the amsteel loop. It just goes around the whipped end with that stopper ball of fabric. Does the Sparrow have a sewn channel that you have to feed the CL through? If so, you should be able to thread it through and larks head around itself like you do with the WB hammock as long as it has enough slack.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Sparrow has a sewn channel. It’s not hard at all the swap out continuous loops between gathered end hammocks. They simply thread through the sewn channel and then you larks head one end of the loop over the other to lock it on the gathered end. I’m sure if you email Randy at DH he could incorporate the WB buckles into a new CL. They are also pretty easy to make on your own with some 7/64” Amsteel and a wire fishing tool to pull the amsteel through and make the bury’s. Lots of good YouTube videos out there showing how to DIY them.

Thanks for the responses!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Yes, it's a pretty simple matter to swap out the suspension.
    Here's a video that may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UAf1Lhs7U

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Yes, it's a pretty simple matter to swap out the suspension.
    Here's a video that may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UAf1Lhs7U
    Thanks for the video, Papa Smurf. It was helpful! I've looked at the CL on my Sparrow in the past, but it seemed like there was so much going on that I was afraid to mess with it. Maybe I could tie the end of the current continuous loop to the end of a new one, and use the old one to pull the new one through.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekitty View Post
    Thanks for the video, Papa Smurf. It was helpful! I've looked at the CL on my Sparrow in the past, but it seemed like there was so much going on that I was afraid to mess with it. Maybe I could tie the end of the current continuous loop to the end of a new one, and use the old one to pull the new one through.
    When you pull out the old CL, tie it to the new CL with a piece of string. If you larkshead them together you'll get an unwelcome surprise when you try to release the larkshead.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The current Warbonnet cinch buckles have a shorter loop because they're simply larksheaded onto the existing continuous loop. This lengthens the minimum distance needed between trees, but it's easier to install.

By the way, have you tried Dutch Beetle Buckles? In my opinion these are the best cinch buckles on the market, and as long as you have continuous loops on your hammock, there is no installation necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The current Warbonnet cinch buckles have a shorter loop because they're simply larksheaded onto the existing continuous loop. This lengthens the minimum distance needed between trees, but it's easier to install.

By the way, have you tried Dutch Beetle Buckles? In my opinion these are the best cinch buckles on the market, and as long as you have continuous loops on your hammock, there is no installation necessary.
    Hey, thanks. I didn't know that the separate buckle suspension they sold was meant to be larksheaded on.

I've heard that beetle buckles can put some wear and tear on amsteel, and having had the experience of a Dutch clip slicing halfway through a strap years ago, I'm leery of using Dutchware on my suspension if there is a possibility of it causing damage.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    i hated the beetle buckles and much prefer the warbonnet's buckles until they shorted the continuous loop
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast