Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Great pics and looks like a fun hike! I've been slowly collecting maps on the Bartram Trail ever since I saw the YouTube series by Quicksand on it several years ago. I was only about 30 miles or so west of you on Lake Jocassee this weekend and I'd reckon the temps (and wind) were very similar, yet I was quite chilly all night in my rig. Do you mind sharing what tarp and so on you were using?
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_outdoors View Post
    Great pics and looks like a fun hike! I've been slowly collecting maps on the Bartram Trail ever since I saw the YouTube series by Quicksand on it several years ago. I was only about 30 miles or so west of you on Lake Jocassee this weekend and I'd reckon the temps (and wind) were very similar, yet I was quite chilly all night in my rig. Do you mind sharing what tarp and so on you were using?
    For this trip, I took my 12' HG Journey tarp and the warbonnet UQP that goes with the BBXLC. My hammock is also the lightweight double layer and the baselayers i was sleeping in were smartwool bottoms and thermajohn top for reference. I pitched the tarp low and put in some ear plugs and didn't notice any wind even though it was windy enough to make setup difficult. In fact, I made a comment about thankfully the wind died down to the wife only to get an incredulous look.

I went to bed right after dark because I don't like hanging around the fire ring when it's windy and chilly. The fire never seems warm enough and if I go to bed cold, I never seem to get warm though I've only had that happen once. I woke up around 11 pm a little sweaty so I watered a tree and walked around camp until I felt like I'd dried out a bit. It took about 30 minutes to warm everything up when I got back in the hammock. Got up again at 4 am for a nature call and was comfortable. After that short walk, I never was able to warm the quilts all the way back up and had to add a thin buff at that point because my nose was cold, but my body wasn't cold and had my other camp clothes still in reserve.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12