Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch

Question Drafty Wooki?

This weekend was my first time using my 20 degree Wooki UQ with my El Dorado in winter. I've used this UQ a few times during the summer and loved it, but this weekend the temps got down into the 20s with a bit of a breeze and I just could not find a lay in my hammock that didn't have large cold spots under me. I noticed that the Wooki wasn't snug to the hammock along the edges, so maybe I'm not attaching it right or something? I'm thinking I may switch to something with a lot more coverage for true winter camping. I'm curious if anyone else has run into this issue with their Wooki?
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Sounds like an adjustment issue. Have someone lay in the hammock in the same direction you lay, and check for gaps!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_outdoors View Post
    This weekend was my first time using my 20 degree Wooki UQ with my El Dorado in winter. I've used this UQ a few times during the summer and loved it, but this weekend the temps got down into the 20s with a bit of a breeze and I just could not find a lay in my hammock that didn't have large cold spots under me. I noticed that the Wooki wasn't snug to the hammock along the edges, so maybe I'm not attaching it right or something? I'm thinking I may switch to something with a lot more coverage for true winter camping. I'm curious if anyone else has run into this issue with their Wooki?
    A small floppy bit along the edges is normal from what I've read and experienced myself. Are you seeing more floppiness than around the 11 min mark in Shug's video?

With mine, I'm just able to pull the UQ side to side, but it's still pretty tight up against me except for that shoulder flop that, like Shug says, is covered by my TQ anyways. An UQP will give it more structure on the edges and help with drafts, but I'd suspect it might be something else. Only other thing I can think for you to check is having someone make sure you're well inside the insulated sweet spot.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I find my gear works well if the temperature is 10° warmer than it’s rating. I wouldn’t expect to be really comfortable in a 20° UQ in 20° weather. In that case, I’d at least be using an UQP to help the UQ.

We are getting some really cold weather on Twosday/Wednesday - a little below zero (what Minnesotans call, “almost spring”) - and I’ll be in a double layer RR, with a 0° UQ, and a layer of ReflexIt, and inside a SpinDrift. So even though the UQ (Lynx) is rated at 0°, I don’t expect it to keep me toasty warm; but I won’t freeze. If I planned to be out in 20° nights, I’d be using 10° or 0° gear.

So there might be nothing wrong with your setup. It’s just that everyone’s “edge” is different. One benefit of “camping out” at home is I can see how comfortable I am with various pieces of gear and nighttime temperatures. I consider the gear’s temperature comfort rating more a suggestion than a statement of fact.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe peruse this current thread. It has remedies for that loose side....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mod-for-Wookie
    Also think about migrating your down to where you want it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I find my gear works well if the temperature is 10° warmer than it’s rating. I wouldn’t expect to be really comfortable in a 20° UQ in 20° weather. In that case, I’d at least be using an UQP to help the UQ.

We are getting some really cold weather on Twosday/Wednesday - a little below zero (what Minnesotans call, “almost spring”) - and I’ll be in a double layer RR, with a 0° UQ, and a layer of ReflexIt, and inside a SpinDrift. So even though the UQ (Lynx) is rated at 0°, I don’t expect it to keep me toasty warm; but I won’t freeze. If I planned to be out in 20° nights, I’d be using 10° or 0° gear.

So there might be nothing wrong with your setup. It’s just that everyone’s “edge” is different. One benefit of “camping out” at home is I can see how comfortable I am with various pieces of gear and nighttime temperatures. I consider the gear’s temperature comfort rating more a suggestion than a statement of fact.
    I usually abide by the 10 degree rule as well and theoretically I should have had that buffer but a stiff breeze coming off a chilly lake threw my calculations off a bit. Part of my challenge right now is not having a back yard to go out and experiment with this stuff in, so I'm usually trying to sort everything out 10 miles into the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Maybe peruse this current thread. It has remedies for that loose side....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mod-for-Wookie
    Also think about migrating your down to where you want it.
    That looks like a good option if some adjusting and tweaking doesn't do the trick. Thank you for pointing this out and for all your helpful howtos which as usual removed a lot of doubt and worry!

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    A small floppy bit along the edges is normal from what I've read and experienced myself. Are you seeing more floppiness than around the 11 min mark in Shug's video?
    I should have known there was a Shug video to answer all my questions Yes it looked exactly like Shug's does in the video and he also mentions that little tie off on the back side that I didn't find until the middle of the night, so that may have helped also.

Well you all have convinced me I just need to do some more fiddling instead of buying another UQ but I'm still going to buy a bigger tarp, dammit
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I usually abide by the 10 degree rule as well and theoretically I should have had that buffer but a stiff breeze coming off a chilly lake threw my calculations off a bit. Part of my challenge right now is not having a back yard to go out and experiment with this stuff in, so I'm usually trying to sort everything out 10 miles into the woods

That looks like a good option if some adjusting and tweaking doesn't do the trick. Thank you for pointing this out and for all your helpful howtos which as usual removed a lot of doubt and worry!

I should have known there was a Shug video to answer all my questions Yes it looked exactly like Shug's does in the video and he also mentions that little tie off on the back side that I didn't find until the middle of the night, so that may have helped also.

Well you all have convinced me I just need to do some more fiddling instead of buying another UQ but I'm still going to buy a bigger tarp, dammit
    Haha, that tie off has gotten me before in that I was too lazy to do it up and somehow the UQ got folded up under the footbox of the hammock and I was wondering why my feet were so cold. Finally got out and realized what happened.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I watched the video and it appeared there was only one tie; I was hoping for one on each side. If the gap is a problem, it might not be too difficult to sew some small loop on opposite sides and run a removable (clip on) bungee from them over the hammock ridgeline, giving lift. But in your temperature situation, I’d add a UQP first. That larger Tarp, allowing lower sides, will help too. And if you get the warmer UQ with it (from WB) they usually have some discount when you buy two large items (check their promos). If you just get the Tarp, it will be a new item among already established older gear. But if you also get a new UQ, they will be the same “age” and will have each other for company. I’m sure it wouldn't take long before either is accepted by the other gear, but having a buddy does ease the transition. It’s the kind thing to do.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Last Fall, I went on a two night trip and used my wooki and blackbird. I'd bought them at the same time to make sure they would be compatible.
    The first night, I had a draft. I'd tied the foot end lace, but in the morning I figured out that the elastic band at the foot was stretched out so I doubled it over and the second night was much warmer. My wooki came with an extra elastic, so once I got home I swapped it in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly

Drafty Wooki?

I prefer to use the old bands warbonnet used before they changed to the new bands. Two of the lynx bands girth hitched together. I’ve changed out my two new wooki quilts, fit is much better.

You can see this about 1min in

https://youtu.be/2-MU34O0Vf4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mo_hunter; 02-21-2022 at 16:58.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast