Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Ridge-line Type For Dyneema Tarp

I just ordered my first Dyneema tarp, after looking around a bit it seems that some people have trouble with the tarps being damaged by tree movement with a separated ridge-line. Jeff Meyers on YouTube seemed to indicate that a continuous ridge-line with prusiks would alleviate this problem. I've typically used Dutch's Stingerz with my Sil-poly tarps and haven't had any problem. But from what I understand Dyneema doesn't have much stretch compared to Sil-poly. Anybody have any experience with this issue?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I much prefer continuous (technically "one-piece") ridgelines for all tarps, but especially with DCF tarps because of that lack of stretch. Attaching to the RL with Prusiks also makes it easy to position the tarp over the hammock.

Because of this I've never experienced a shredded tarp, although I know someone who has. However it was an extremely high wind environment so the tarp might've been shredded anyway.

However, even with relatively benign conditions split RLs put a lot of stress on the attachment points, which is particularly not a good idea with DCF tarps due to their bonded construction. And if you want to use a trekking (or other) pole over the ridge line as a side panel pull-out, a one-piece RL works great.

Although a lot of people use and love Zing-it, if you want to skip the hardware and use knots instead it's a good idea to use something like Lawson Glowire or Guywire, or the stronger Ironwire, all of which are very knot-friendly, tangle-resistant and easy handling.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I have a one piece or continuous tarp ridgeline.
    It’s 2.2 Zingit, with six wrap prusiks with built in pull loops for easy side to side adjustments.

When pitching my tarp, I pull the pull loop prusik a few inches to inside, scrunching extra tarp material onto ridgeline.
    Then I tighten ridgeline real tight on tree, using a tensionless hitch. I pull the ridgeline as tight as I can, then in fashion of tensionless hitch, I wrap tarp ridgeline around tree multiple times.
    And finish with one half hitch, immediately followed with one slipped half hitch.
    Then I daisy chain that last bight or bunny rabbit ear.

After ridgeline is tight, I extend tarp tight along ridgeline. If tarp was already tight on ridgeline, then when ridgeline is tightened, the tarp ends might get stretched too far and have damage at sewn tabs on ends. Don’t ask me how I know….!
    This daisy chain is for me to think nothing will come undone until morning, when I pull the ripcord and everything comes loose without jamming.

I like knots, or in this case, hitches, that hold tight without fail—and then in morning—never jam, releasing with ease.

Other knot fanatics might use a truckers hitch for a tight tarp ridgeline.

Otherwise, most turn to hardware, that miraculously works for tarp ridgelines. And is extremely fast too!

I just like knots, mainly simple knots, tied in the bight when possible, knots and hitches that are easy to tie quickly, do not slip, and are easy and quick to release.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like both of you use a continuous ridge-line. It does seem like it will be a bit less stressful on the tarp that way.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sometimes I've read posts on this forum that say they've had problems with their DCF tarp in 20 to 25 mph winds. I can't comprehend that - I live in a coastal area and winds are regularly 20 to 250 mph and they have no effect on my tarp.

I've also been in 50 to 60 mph winds, and my DCF tarp has held up fine - I've had this tarp for 10 years and it's still going strong. I use a continuous ridgeline with Dutch Wasp, Dutch Hook, and prusiks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    I have used a DCF HG Palace with a split ridge (Lash-it or Zing-it w/ Stingerz) for an AT thru hike and 1000 miles on the PCT. Weathered the remnants of Hurricane Isaias in the Whites with it and have never had an issue (shrug). Your mileage may vary .....
    Harlan Hastings
    NPT Nobo 2013; AT Sobo 2020

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I much prefer continuous (technically "one-piece") ridgelines for all tarps, but especially with DCF tarps because of that lack of stretch. Attaching to the RL with Prusiks also makes it easy to position the tarp over the hammock.
    I use CRLs too for the same reason, although I did have a hell of a time this winter with my hands being so cold in the Smokies that I could not get the prusiks to release from the main line. Both were made from a version of Dyneema. Any suggestions for this scenario(cold/wet/snowy)?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I periodically retie my prussiks on my Dutch CRL, otherwise they tend to jam up pretty good at the worst times. If you're not opposed to hardware I think I saw some posts using nama claws in lieu of the prussiks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast