Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    Nice video @cmoulder though it would be nice if there were a text overlay with the name of the knot you were tying. Also, I'm wondering why you have two hanging hitches and three friction knots. Are two your go-tos and the others backups or are there functional differences that have you switching between them?
    If you watch it in YouTube you can click on "More" in the first post/description there's an index that links knot names with time-stamps that skip directly to them. I'm using some super-basic editing s/w and really don't know what the heck I'm doing in that department.

For hammock, the slipped buntline is a constrictor hitch, which is better at the tree end, and the Lapp-to-CL is of course fixed.

For tarp RL to tree, the Midshipman's hitch is easy to tie while wearing gloves. Blake's is a bit harder to tie, but it's usually left in place and tends to stay tied when unloaded, so that's my choice for tarp corners. In the summer I sometimes use Farrimond for tarp RL to tree.

I should've put in the video that I use clove hitch at the stakes, loop-behind-loop method, which is also easy to tie while wearing gloves.

I know it sounds crazy, but those few knots work for an amazing number of applications.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-22-2022 at 16:29.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Daisy/Strap combo
    You can tie knots with most lines, but not all.

If you want to try hardware, it is important that pair the lines you're using with the hardware. Lineloc 3's, bar tensioners, and clam cleats work well with thicker lines, about 2.5 mm and up. Dutchware bling (tarpworms, hookworms, ringworms) and those new little slide locks work well with 1.75 mm ZingIt/LashIt.

Right now, I'm using slide locks with 1.3 mm reflective dutch cord. I have used Dutch hookworms with 1.75 mm zingit, but I found them too hard to use when my fingers were wet. The new hookworms might be the best of the dutch tarp hardware. I've also found Lineloc 3's and Lawson 2.5 mm glowire to be a good pairing also. Linelocs are dead simple.

Hammock
    Chameleon / HH with 2qzq mod 4
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly/ZqDoors
    Insulation
    LL Reaper / GP
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I attached Duchware Wasp's to my tarp, big enough to still use with gloves on and easy to adjust...... my two cents
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. - Plato

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbastion View Post
    I attached Duchware Wasp's to my tarp, big enough to still use with gloves on
    I've wondered about attaching Wasps to the tie-out points and hadn't thought of the benefit of it being bigger than the fleaz to help with using gloves. I'd love to see a photo if you're willing to share.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I'm kind of partial to NAMA Claws.

https://youtu.be/4cQpEU6SjdE

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I'm kind of partial to NAMA Claws.
    https://youtu.be/4cQpEU6SjdE
    Even though I am partial to knots, Nama Claws are pretty easy, light weight, and useful. Also a fan of Dutch hooks, and FlyZ. That being said, there is a satisfaction and confidence that comes with the mastery of knots. Didn't come easy to me, but over the years picked up a lot of skills from the knot people on this forum. I continue to be a card carrying member of the Blake's Hitch Preservation Society

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Yeah, I'm with ya. From tromping through the woods and canoeing the rivers in the '60s and '70s, through my years of living on a sailboat in the '90s all the way to today I've loved rope work. Just something primal and satisfying about it.

That being said, I did order a couple of TarpTicks along with my SuperFly. May as well try 'em out.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteaderWB View Post
    Yeah, I'm with ya. From tromping through the woods and canoeing the rivers in the '60s and '70s, through my years of living on a sailboat in the '90s all the way to today I've loved rope work. Just something primal and satisfying about it.

That being said, I did order a couple of TarpTicks along with my SuperFly. May as well try 'em out.
    The only thing that's held me back on the TarpTicks is that I roll my lines up with the tarp, and the points don't look *quite* rounded enough to be risk-free. I have Dutch Flyz, but the quality on his hardware is lower than I expected and the holes aren't big enough to easily adjust on my line. I find myself going back to good ol' Fig 9's just because they're so dang easy and light.

I've tried Micro GLT's from LoopAlien, and while the quality is superb and they work great they're so small and easy to lose. They work with 1.75mm Zing It, not sure how they'd work with the thicker line options.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123