WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far

Clips, hooks, ticks, fleas, and such...

I'm preparing to buy a new tarp and that has me browsing on the various vendor sites. All the bits of suspension bling are curious things to me; I'm not sure I understand the point. I am very comfortable with rope and line work, so maybe it's just a matter of what I'm used to, but it seems to me to be needless complication and more small items to lose. Am I wrong about this? What is the benefit to these rather odd (to me) things?

(Edit: I think I posted this in the wrong place, but can't quite figure out how to move or delete it. Sorry 'bout that)
    Last edited by HomesteaderWB; 02-20-2022 at 17:13. Reason: Wrong place..?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You're going to get a lot of varied responses because different people like different methods. That's the coolest thing 'bout hammocking to me - there are lots of different ways to hang. IMHO, the "bling vs knot" dichotomy is a false one. Don't live under the tyranny of "or" (bling or knot), but embrace the beauty of "and" (use them both for different situations). Being fluent with both allows you to choose either when you know the conditions and equipment warrant it.

As far as the "losing small items" question, the bling can usually be used with lines that are permanently attached. For example, I use a small continuous loop of Lash-It on my tarp D-rings with a Dutch Ware fleaz attached to it. The benefit in this scenario is that I can easily keep my tie-out lines separate from the tarp when stored.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    My $0.02:

Having line-locs on each of my tie-outs with mini biners on the ridgelines allows the quickest and easiest tarp setup possible. They all stay permanently attached in a mesh snakeskin for quick deployment. I can see why someone would prefer a titanium option vs the line-locs. These options add grams, not ounces to my setup and are well worth it to me. I can always undo the knots to the bling if field conditions call for it, but I've yet to come across that.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I use the least bling I can use. While out I'm there to enjoy myself & any few seconds gained with bling to buy, keep up with, tote & transport I can do without. I use a couple small 9s & tiny beaners on the tarp. A couple climbing rated beaners on hammock suspenion & that's it.
    HYOH

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think it’s like learning to drive a car - at least in the olden days. It was important to learn to drive a stick-shift, a real car, and then move on to an automatic - if you like that sort of thing. These days, I might suggest learning on an automatic first - to get the breaking/steering, “feel for the car” down, then add in learning a stick-shift. That way you don’t have all those elements to deal with at once.

So with knots and bling. I think it’s important to know the knots you need to setup with just your suspension/guy line cord. Then, because it can be so much more convenient, move on to hardware if you like.

One of the elements is weather, as in whether or not you can work those knots in freezing rain - if that enviroment puts a smile on your face. I can play with knots, bury whoopie slings, etc. all day long on a warm sunny afternoon. But in less genteel weather, I prefer “wrap-n-clip”. For example, I could just run a suspension strap though its end loop. But more often I have to make an adjustment after the initial setup and wouldn’t you know it but there’s a branch just where I need to raise the loop. So much easier to unclip (or undo an EVO loop) the strap and move it than to undo the hammock suspension so I can un-feed the strap through the loop to move it over the branch. For the hammock itself, Nothing’s faster for me than to use daisy chain and just tug till the structural ridgeline feel right and clip at the best loop. That said, just for a change, I’m slowly stitching over to webbing/buckle because I can pretty much do the same “feel the SRL tension” thing and I have a continuous, instead of step-wise, adjustment.

I used to use a tautline hitch for my tarp guyline adjustments. But so much easier to tug and lock with some Line-loc variant (if you have the right diameter guyline).

So yeah, all the bling/hardware is not necessary. But I camp with people who use tents. And as a card carrying (those card DutchWare includes with their bling) hammock camper, I feel an obligation to be able to set up with minimum fuss. With all those, “bend a pole, slip it in a grommet” tents out there, we have a lot more pieces in our hammock setup. I want to be able to setup that tarp in about the same time it takes the tent camper to clip the rainfly to the tensioned tent poles. Where they might have four corners, I have to 1) wrap/clip the line to one tree, 2) wrap/tension/lock at the other tree, 3) position one Nama claw, 4) position the other Nama claw, 5) distract the tent friend some kind of, “Look, there’s and eagle!” diversion, 6) guy the four tarp corners. Then wait until they walk away from camp so I can refine the tarp placement on the line. That’s a lot of responsibility I can’t do that with knots.

I often have a little time help if they have to find flat ground and clear it of rocks/stick/pine cones. I’m looking at trees before my kayak even hits the shore.

I wonder where I’ll sleep tonight?
    MoreTrees.jpg

Did I bring the long straps?
    TreeAtWhiterock.jpg
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-20-2022 at 21:38.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Did not want to like them.
    Got them.
    Like them and use all the time.
    Mainly Fleaz and Flyz for tarp ridgeline.
    Saves me a few seconds. More time to lollygag.
    It adds up.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You are free to use either knots or hardware or both!

If you go to a group hang, you will see all kinds of different setups. Some use knots, many use hardware.
    Watch Shug’s videos and watch Dutch’s videos showing multiple ways to rig hammocks and tarps.
    More videos
    Phantom Grapplers recommended ties part 1 and part 2

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I hate knots, and I really don't much see the need for them with hammocks. My Dutch ridgeline with Dutch Hook and Wasp weighs nothing, and I don't use any hardware on my guylines, just a marlin spike hitch on the stakes.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    I enjoy knots, not just for hammocking. It's a fun hobby and figuring out the best knot for each situation, perhaps extending the tail to something decorative, tickles a certain something. Also, I do think I'd lose the small parts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I'm a knot guy, but I think bling has it's place. Whoopie hooks connect my whoopies to my continuous loops. There are stronger ways, but I switch suspensions often and this makes my life easier.

If you're using 1.75mm dyneema lines, I find bling is waaay easier in use (especially on cold and rainy nights) than knots. Lawson's polyester 2mm glowire is popular, and if you prefer knots, It's perfect. It also works with most 1.75mm bling and Line locs. I went with knots for many years, and I think it's the most secure. I switched because Line locs are more than strong enough and make it much simpler and faster for me, especially on those cold and rainy nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast