WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket

TQ foot box options

I’ve always gone with a sewn foot box because I typically get cold feet. For those of you have tried other options did they work just as well? I’m contemplating buying another top quilt with snaps and a plug for the bottom hole on the foot box but can’t make up my mind.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have 20F and 40F HG Burrows, with the zipper footbox and the hole. On the 40F, I don't really notice it. For the 20F, I wrapped and tied off the drawstrings to close the hole.

2022-02-17_09-39-25_899.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler_ View Post
    I’ve always gone with a sewn foot box because I typically get cold feet. For those of you have tried other options did they work just as well? I’m contemplating buying another top quilt with snaps and a plug for the bottom hole on the foot box but can’t make up my mind.
    I feel like you are leaving out some important information.

If you typically get cold feet a sewn footbox is the warmest option.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I've used a flat sewn footbox and normal snap/drawstring closer and have not noticed any difference between the two. I used to be paranoid about the cold leaking in through the drawcord but it's never been an issue.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    You don't mention what temps you're expecting to face. I've never noticed any advantage of a sewn footbox TQ over any other kind for warmth, but I rarely go below the upper teens/lower 20s with my gear. The lowest temp rated TQs I own are 20* quilts. My drawstring quilts and sewn quilts are equally warm at those temps. Folks that take their gear down to lower temps will have experiences much different from mine.

However ... I have noticed that my sewn footbox TQs are a bit more comfortable. Sometimes the snaps or zipper of a drawstring TQ will be at just the wrong spot under my calves or feet and I'll need to scooch the quilt around a bit to get comfortable. It's more of an irritant than a major issue, but that irritant has caused me to lean toward fully-sewn footboxes. Personal preference. Others may not have that issue. But if you've never used anything other than sewn footboxes, that is a non-warmth consideration you might want to factor in to your decision-making.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    all of my top quilts are sew in foot box and work quite well but in cold weather I do use down booties never had any

major problems
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started with HG TQ’s and bungee cinch foot boxes. Later, in the FS forum, I bought some UGQ’s with sewn foot boxes. The sown foot boxes are definitely warmer. But that could be a feature or a bug depending on your comfort zone. In the non-winter seasons, having the adjustable opening might be better. In the winter, if I’m using the HG TQ, I can just tuck the end under a little to close it off.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have quilts with both styles and frankly I've used the unzip feature maybe two times over the years. And even on those rare occasions I would have been fine simply by sticking a leg out of the foot box.

In any event, a convertible foot box makes no sense for quilts rated for lower than about 40°F because you're not going to be opening the foot box anyway, especially if you tend to have cold feet.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-18-2022 at 08:06.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I didn't know about sewn options when I bought my first two topquilts about 8 years ago. I bought JRB quilts and used to put a spare sock in the hole in cold weather. Never had any issues. Last year, I bought one of the plugs from HG and used it. Can't tell much difference. I used a 20 degree quilt around 25 F and didn't have cold feet. I am a cold sleeper and I was comfortable. If I ever buy a 0 degree quilt I had planned on buying a sewn version, but I don't regret the two that I have that are not sewn.

• + New Posts