DH Dangerbird, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Beetles

continuous ridgeline for tarp

what are the opinions for having a continuous ridge line for your tarp.what are the advantages as opposed
    to just tying out the ends of the tarp.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Search Hammock Forums threads to find interesting ideas: continuous ridgelines, split ridgelines. I use online search-Google or Safari. I enter key words hammocks, tarps, continuous ridgelines, split ridgelines.
    These searches usually find threads in Hammock Forums about subjects I’m seeking.

Split ridgelines weigh less, not much less, but enough less to gram counters. Every gram, ounce, and pound matters more and more while backpacking.

A continuous ridgeline might be easier to center over hammock, if you use Nana Claws or prusiks with built in pull loops to make adjustments a breeze.

A tarp under continuous ridgeline can make a neat looking tarp if tarp ridge is cat-cut or curved.

A tarp over continuous ridgeline can give you a good place to hang a hat or damp shirt to dry.

Be careful of stretching tarp ridge too tight, when setting tarp ridgeline. Easy to overstress stitching on tarp end pullouts. This damage can happen with either split or continuous ridgelines.

I stretch continuous ridgeline very tight with a tensionless hitch—some use truckers hitch to tension tarp ridgeline. Many use titanium hardware from Dutch to tension ridgeline. I push prusik and tarp so that tarp is not stressed. Then I tighten tarp ridgeline—then I pull prusik and tarp along already taut ridgeline.
    Then tarp is tight, but not tight enough to damage stitching on ridgeline end pullouts.
    Don’t ask me how I know not to overstretch tarp at tarp ridge!
    Shug employs split ridgeline.
    And MrPickl uses split ridgeline or an abbreviated split ridgeline that doesn’t even go around the trees-each end is attached to hammock suspension close to tree trunk—further saving weight and time!

Me, I just sleep faster, after setting up continuous ridgeline. Might get water drops dripping on my head, when using a continuous ridgeline that is underneath tarp. Best to add drip lines just inside of tarp edges on continuous ridgeline.

You are free to try several options at various times.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    I often tie the ends and add a ridge line to hang small things (e.g., headlamp, wet socks, etc.) but rarely use a continuous line. This isn't so much for utility as habit and I look forward to hearing other's opinions in this thread.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird, Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Beetles
    thank you for your responses.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't like knots and I especially don't like knots on my ridgeline - just too much adjustment and readjustment for me. I use a Dutch continuous ridgeline with Dutch hook and Wasp, with prusiks attaching the tarp to the ridgeline. I just attach the ridgeline to the trees, center the tarp, and I'm done.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most seem to use them for ease of centering their tarp over the hammock.
    And of course folks are always looking for another way to do something.
    Easy enough to center a tarp with just two lines off the end of the tarp.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't like knots and I especially don't like knots on my ridgeline - just too much adjustment and readjustment for me. I use a Dutch continuous ridgeline with Dutch hook and Wasp, with prusiks attaching the tarp to the ridgeline. I just attach the ridgeline to the trees, center the tarp, and I'm done.
    What he said. +1
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Might get water drops dripping on my head, when using a continuous ridgeline that is underneath tarp. Best to add drip lines just inside of tarp edges on continuous ridgeline.
    I just want to make sure this point is underscored. I ended up with a soaking wet hammock on one occasion because I put drip lines on my hammock suspension but didn't think to put them on my continuous ridgeline that ran under the tarp. It rained 4" on me that day, and instead of being warm and cozy I had soggy britches.
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I'd rather not fiddle with knots, so I use a Dutch CRL (over the tarp) on one tarp and Dutch Stingerz with split lines on the rest of my tarps.

I hate the prussik knots, at least the ones that are Zingit. They jam up and need to be retied periodically. Typically, I find out when it's a) about to rain or b) raining. I thought the adjustability would be quick and easy but with the prussiks its just not the case. It really becomes apparent when I come across different tree spacing and tree diameters when setting up. Sometimes I run into having to adjust the prussiks before I can even start to hang the tarp. Usually happens when the night before had smaller diameter trees with a smaller gap and now the trees are significantly larger with a wider gap. I have to get the Dutch hook side prussik moved up the line away from the tree just so I can get enough line around the tree for the Dutch hook to clip on. If I'm out on an overnighter or 2 nighter, it's not a big deal. But if I'm hiking 4+ nights, it gets annoying.

With the split lines and Stingerz it's simple: run each line around the tree and lock on the antenna. To center, add slack on one side, lock it, go to the other end, take up the slack, and lock it. Done.

For the CRL, there are three points that potentially have to be adjusted: each of the prussiks and the Wasp. On the split lines, there are two. Also, the Stingerz act as an extra water break.

If it's really windy and the trees are swaying, the CRL will take some of the stress whereas with split lines your tarp is getting all of it.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I use a continuous ridgeline and a couple prussic loops at each end. I tried a split ridgeline and the continuous had me spoiled, it's just so much easier to use. Quick to set up and even quicker to adjust. I'll spend the extra .208oz and live with it lol.
    Last edited by packman9000; 02-16-2022 at 12:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast