Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner

Blackbird XLC Comfort?

So I know I am asking a really subjective question - like which tastes better...BUT

I have a no-name 10.5ft hammock, very wide. It's, at best, ok comfortable. I can sleep but will wake up 4 or 5 times a night

From what I read the Blackbird XLC is super comfy - my question is: is it likely to be a significant upgrade from my $25 hammock? I'm happy to spend the money if it's good, unfortunately I have no way of doing a 'test drive', what do folks think?

I have read dozens of posts and am unsure which way to go. Has anybody been in my situation?

Signed, 'Unsure in Charlotte'

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    What's waking you up? Are you cold? Calf ridge? Whippoorwills whippoorwilling all night?

And if you're still in Charlotte NC, you can look up for forum meetups nearby. Pretty sure someone will let you check out their setup.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    What is uncomfortable about the one you have?

Here is my pitch for Colorado made.
    Warbonnet's are going to likely be more supportive than a cheap hammock. Most Amazon hammocks I have are stretchy taffeta.

I toss and turn, my El Dorado gives me more comfortable lays to switch to than anything else I have tried.

A blackbird will be durable.
    I am on my second hammock from them, but I sleep in it near daily, machine wash once a week. Have destructive kittens and children. I expect 5-10 years of life until something annoying kills it. No worries about it failing due to wear on its own at all.

I am happy if a cheap hammock lasts two years of occasional use without a rip or popped seam.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They are really nice. If you get one make sure to follow Warbonnets set-up guide for optimal hang.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf
    I love my Eldorado~~~
    Shug
    Former Charlottean

Last edited by Shug; 02-14-2022 at 15:21.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    I upgraded from a $25 Amazon hammock to the Warbonnet Eldorado which is just the XLC without the gear shelf and it made all the difference in the world for me. I'm 5' 11" for comparison and while the cheap hammock was definitely more comfortable than ground sleeping I found I kept having to push the sides out with my feet in order to get a flat lay. This is an issue for me because I'm a fetal side sleeper so I would wake up a few times every night and have to readjust myself. With the Warbonnet I can lay any old way I like and I still get a flat lay without trying. Another thing that mattered to me but may not matter to you is the availability of accessories like a winter cover, zip-off bug nets, UQ protectors, and so on that all work with my Eldorado. The $25 hammocks generally have a non-removable bug net or no bug net at all. Finally, it feels good knowing if I have a problem with my hammock or tarp the folks at Warbonnet will be there to help as they stand behind their products.
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hard to say for sure, but I've been extremely happy with my Blackbird XLC. I was coming from just a Eno to hang out in not camp in. The XLC made a huge difference in comfort.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I have an WB Eldorado that I sleep in almost every night. Of the 4 hammocks I have, the Eldorado is BY FAR the most comfortable. I have one "cheap" hammock that I bought at Costco that probably compares most closely to your Amazon hammock. I could sleep in it , but not well. I think the main difference between the "cheap" hammocks and the WB hammocks: the cheap ones are built to sell. The WB hammocks are built to be comfortable and to be used.

I would buy more WB hammocks in a second if my budget officer would let me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    The nice thing about the XLC is that if you don't like it you can get most of your money back easily by selling it right on this site.

I asked Warbonnet's customer service team many questions prior to buying a Ridgerunner. They encouraged me to just buy it and try it because they have an excellent return policy.

Hammock
    WBBB / Chameleon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    SLD TW / CRO UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I have 3 XLC's . A heavy double layer (my first), a light double layer, and a single layer in 1.6 Dreamtex.
    They all sleep a little differently. Sort of like Firm, Medium, and Soft mattresses.

I sleep well in all of them, but not at first.
    It took me awhile to figure out my personal formula for hanging the perfect hang.
    Foot height, head height, angle of lay, etc.
    Like Shug says, pay attention to the instructions that Warbonnet gives you. It's kind of hang specific with that extra high foot end.

And then, start tweeking it.

Do a search on this forum about materials, layers, and tips. It can be a rabbit-hole, but it's half the fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast