WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I love my XLC but have limited experience with other hammocks. I have a Maranon for the yard and a Henessey. I am thinking of picking up a double nest on CL to just keep in the truck. ENOs sell for like $50 barely used. XLCs do not sell for much less used which also says something.

And the XLC is comfortable. And I do flip and turn a lot at night. I fall asleep best either on my back when that works or actually on my side facing the shelf. Which makes no sense but it works for me.

but it is really comfy. I have a single layer and am at the high side of the weight recommendations. Though unsure as would want a double layer. I of course now want three more hammocks just to test them out (double layer, true gathered end and a bridge). Though I am super happy with the XLC

This is all good info. Thanks. My plan is to buy the XLC sometime this spring. I think the shelf seems worth the weight, especially for a canoe guy.

The shelf is outstanding. In the Winter, I often use a netless hammock. I miss that shelf so much those times.

I've only slept in a borrowed xlc two nights, but I liked the shelf a lot.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrsimon View Post
    I'm planning on heading to the Yates hang next month - so was hoping to see some setups....
    See you there! If you want to try out other hammocks, this would be a great approach. I don't have a WBBB or El Dorado to try, but I'd gladly let you try any of mine out. You may want to consider trying out any of the 11' cottage vendor hammocks that you can, because maybe you'll find another that suits you.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sean MacC, You didn’t mention your height. Many lower cost hammocks are on the short side. Though much less quality than a Hennessey, I saw a hammock for sale at a Big 5 store for $10. The spec said its was 6 ft long. and with the usual 17% reduction (83% of hammock length) for sag, that’s just under 5 ft.

Of course ENO’s are much better/longer, and they are fine for day hikes and lounging. And some people sleep perfectly fine in them. But if you are on the large size - especially in the height range, make sure you check out the length of the hammock in addition to it’s weight capacity.

And remember the “weight load” on the hammock is a function of your body weight AND the hang angle. If you are near the weight limit, and hang with a sag reduction less than 17%, that combination could impart forces on the hammock that are outside its limits.

REI has a sale on ENO (20%) a few times a year.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    When considering length of hammocks, cottage vendors generally cite the actual length of the fabric, where many "cheep" hammock vendors include the length of the attachment points as well. So depending on who made it, a 10' hammock might have 10' of fabric, or maybe less than 9'....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Sean MacC, You didn’t mention your height. Many lower cost hammocks are on the short side. Though much less quality than a Hennessey, I saw a hammock for sale at a Big 5 store for $10. The spec said its was 6 ft long. and with the usual 17% reduction (83% of hammock length) for sag, that’s just under 5 ft.
    Fair. I am 6’2” and about 220.

I do have a couple other hammocks. I have a Hennessey asum and it is good for my partner (5’3”). It small for me. I also have eno double nest I keep in my truck for lounging and a fairly large maranon cotton weave for the yard. It got the hennessey and the eno on Craigslist. The Hennessey was a marginal value to buy used. Like new was not that much more expensive (same is true for WB and other higher end brands). ENOs on the other hand can be picked up pretty easily for about half the cost if patient as it seems every outdoor shops sells them.

I do want to try a few more and will buy another probably this year. I want to try a true gathered end from a higher end brand (this will almost certainly be a Dutch creation) and I want to try a bridge hammock (WB or Jacks). On the latter, sort of trenching towards Jacks r Better as while I love my XLC I do not love the zipper. Just saying. I would trade a few ounces for a better zipper. I actually broke it on my first outing and they were super good to work with to get it repaired (and cheap imo). But yeah. The zipper is not so hot.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by possum daddy View Post
    Agree. The only reason why you’d choose eldorado over xlc is to save 2 oz weight. The people who care about 2 oz I’d think should also be considering other manufacturers for the even lighter fabrics, 1/2 zippers, 1/2 bug net etc
    I bought an Eldorado because I didn't want to spend the money on the shelf I didn't want that I'd have to stake or deal with flopping around. It was not a weight decision. I also put a proper ridgeline organizer in, because the bag "feature" is goofy at best. Hey, to each their own

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    I bought an Eldorado because I didn't want to spend the money on the shelf I didn't want that I'd have to stake or deal with flopping around. It was not a weight decision. I also put a proper ridgeline organizer in, because the bag "feature" is goofy at best. Hey, to each their own
    My second hammock (to have one to share w out of town friends and just because) was going from DL XLC to single layer El dorado. Very happy with both. Liked the idea not having to hack Wookies to work between hammocks. Despite my post I enjoy the weight savings and don’t miss the shelf all that much . You don’t have to stake it out though - when I use that bug net I let the shelf hang and use it like a pocket. No flapping in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast