WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket

UQ Loftiness

I have the JRB MW3 and a WBBB XLC and have been having a tough time staying warm when the temps get into the 30's. I finally found a way to hang the UQ so to eliminate the big air pocket that kept forming under my legs and now I can feel the heat on my calves and feet.

However my back and booty are still feeling... "luke"? Not really cold, and not really warm. I can feel that the UQ is right up against me, no gaps. When I reach out and feel under myself through the UQ my hand basically reaches my back instantly. If I had to guess I'd say there's only 0.5"-1" of loft.

The head end lands right at the top of my shoulders, can't seem to get it up past my head without leaving the sweet spot in the XLC. I'm not sure if this would have any effect on my back and down, I use a pillow so I'm not really bothered by it. It's really easy to get the cinch just right on my shoulders like this too, I'm positive there isn't any air coming in from this end.

Is there any particular method of fluffing it up you guys like to use? I've watched shugs down migration video and tried doing that myself but it just doesn't seem like it increases the loft under me much if at all and just makes my arms and sides cold. At home I keep it draped over the dowel in my closet and haven't ever left it in it's stuff sack for extended periods. It's just never felt really puffy or substantial for the time I've owned it.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You get it new or used...maybe it needs a wash?

Is the down all clumped up? Have you laid it out at home and measured the loft?

Maybe it's a setup issue with the having the suspension too tight and your body weight is compressing the loft?

Got any pics of it setup so we can take a look?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Chunk it in the dryer on air fluff or lowest setting with a tennis ball to bring up loft.
    Yes and a good washing with Down Wash would help.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    New, I bought it from JRB last June, haven't taken it on more than a few trips and it's still very clean, can't feel any clumps. The ends with the cinches are super duper lofty, I'll attach some pics comparing what the ends look like vs the middle. It's sorta hard to tell from looking at it above in a picture but it's very obvious in person. Just feels flat and empty in the middle baffles but the ends are springy and full of life.
    End.jpegMiddle.jpegFlat.jpg

Just tried the dryer and no change. I'm guessing its a setup issue. I try to make sure it's nice and tight but not too tight, but my guess is it's still too tight.
    Last edited by LordreginaldC; 02-12-2022 at 21:10.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Would not hurt to show those pix to the folks at JRB and see if they have any thoughts.
    My 3¢ worth of advice.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    Think I will do just that. Advice much appreciated.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    I would try laying the quilt out on a spare bed or flat surface for a couple of days. I ordered a JRB Hudson River Hudson River L (20° F) in November 2021. When I received it I laid it out for a couple of hours and compared it's loft to my Katabatic Gear Flex 30° F TQ and found that it was significantly less lofty. I left it out for ~48 hours and it lofted up to my expectations. I purchased a $4 mesh laundry draw string bag for storage from Target for storage instead of the lower volume JRB vinyl storage package. Since then I have had no issues with loft.

I found the JRB set up instructions for my Greylock 3 (20° F) to be near perfect. I make sure it is up to about ear level for full shoulder coverage.
    Last edited by Ithica; 02-13-2022 at 19:12.

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    You get it new or used...maybe it needs a wash?

Is the down all clumped up? Have you laid it out at home and measured the loft?

Maybe it's a setup issue with the having the suspension too tight and your body weight is compressing the loft?

Got any pics of it setup so we can take a look?
    With most modern UQ’s there’s no compression issues given the baffles are almost always are outer-biased, meaning you get the flatter inside sit up against your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    by the picks you showed looks like there's not enough down in it looks pretty flat!
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quite possibly all of the above. Oh yeah, make sure you're hanging it right side up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast