Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    I would try laying the quilt out on a spare bed or flat surface for a couple of days. I ordered a JRB Hudson River Hudson River L (20° F) in November 2022. When I received it I laid it out for a couple of hours and compared it's loft to my Katabatic Gear Flex 30° F TQ and found that it was significantly less lofty. I left it out for ~48 hours and it lofted up to my expectations. I purchased a $4 mesh laundry draw string bag for storage from Target for storage instead of the lower volume JRB vinyl storage package. Since then I have had no issues with loft.
    I haven't tried this yet, great idea!

by the picks you showed looks like there's not enough down in it looks pretty flat!
    I actually measured the weight with my cheap kitchen scale and it came out to 20.5oz so I think all the down is there, it's just not behaving nicely.

Quite possibly all of the above. Oh yeah, make sure you're hanging it right side up.
    I always hang it green side out but I've even questioned myself as to if I was doing that wrong at one point!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    It sounds like it's too snug under the back. Quilts are made with a differential however it's still possible to push into these lighter weight materials.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’m still getting the bugs out with my 30deg Phoenix, but this past weekend I confirmed that I lose loft hanging it on my 12’ SLD Voyageur without an extender on the suspension on the foot end. I was pretty cold on night 1, and toasty on night 2 (about 40 both nights). I do still get some drafts if I turn over too much, but I’ll get it dialed in eventually. During the points in night 2 when I had it all right, I finally understood the whole idea of bathing in a sea of warmth with a good down quilt set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB MW3/HGBURROW20
    Suspension
    Straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithica View Post
    I would try laying the quilt out on a spare bed or flat surface for a couple of days. I ordered a JRB Hudson River Hudson River L (20° F) in November 2021. When I received it I laid it out for a couple of hours and compared it's loft to my Katabatic Gear Flex 30° F TQ and found that it was significantly less lofty. I left it out for ~48 hours and it lofted up to my expectations. I purchased a $4 mesh laundry draw string bag for storage from Target for storage instead of the lower volume JRB vinyl storage package. Since then I have had no issues with loft.

I found the JRB set up instructions for my Greylock 3 (20° F) to be near perfect. I make sure it is up to about ear level for full shoulder coverage.

Well this did absolute wonders, I don't know why I didn't think of trying it earlier, it seems so obvious! Although this is my first piece of down gear, still learnin'. It has lofted up to what I would expect. Mo' Betta Loft.jpg

Also I think I have been hanging it too tight so I will experiment with a slightly looser suspension and see how that does. I spoke with Don at JRB and he pointed out that I probably need to get my foot placement and cinching of the foot end better dialed in after reviewing some of my pictures and asking me a few questions.

Thanks to everyone!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Wow, that is a big difference!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That's a big difference from before! Your helper in the background doesn't seem too sure though .

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12