Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images

Looking for the hive mind on hammock stands

Good morning! I am seriously considering buying a new hammock stand for car and/or motorcycle camping. Obviously weight will not be an issue while size might be on the motorcycle so it must break down. I have looked at multiple stands and in fact own a couple which I have purchased used from the forums.

I have a DIY Tensa, a Turtle Dog stand, and even a Handy Hammock stand all of which I have purchased via the FS area. I like them all but they all have issues for me. The Tensa is good but the version I have does not break down small enough. The Turtle Dog is a good stand but the legs are too long to use with the bike. The Handy Hammock stand is a nice set up but I use a HH Classic (bottom opening) due to mobility issues and the stand does not work well with it at all.

So, if price were no object, which stand would you get and why? I am not interested in DIY again so please offer suggestions on commercial.

Thanks for your help.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    For what you are wanting to use it for, absolutely the Tensa.
    If you can find Cajunracer here on the forums, he uses his Tensa with his motorcycle and it fits perfectly! Depending on your weight, you could also look into the trekking trees from Tensa as well, because they are even more compact and double as hiking poles
    I absolutely love my own Tensa and use it for car camping

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tensa~~
    Packs down pretty small and about 11 pounds.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Santa brought me a Tensa4 stand and I absolutely love it. Currently, it is set up in our LR anchored to a recliner and an ottoman and it is totally secure feeling when I get in my hammock. My caution would be achieving the elevation you need for ingress and egress for HH Classic may be a challenge. You might contact Tensa Outdoors directly to inquire if others have used it with a bottom entry hammock. They respond quickly.

The fit and finish of the stand it terrific. Setting it up for the first time is a little daunting, but with practice, your time goes down dramatically. As Shug suggests, once it's dialed in, you are set.

My $0.02.
    Nancy

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    I agree with the previous comments. Based on your needs, there is not much if anything out there that will compare to the Tensa4. Since you already have a DIY version, the fiddle factor should be minimal.

Best to you!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    The Tensa4 is the one I would recommend. I use it A LOT for motorcycle camping. It's by far the best design, and easiest to deal with for that kind of traveling. Cheap? No, but worth every penny.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s too bad the Tato stand does not pack smaller because self-standing (no anchors necessary) is a great feature. In some other post about Tensa4’s, an alternative, expensive, carbon fiber tensa4-isque stand was mentioned. I think it was self-standing.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    The Tensa4 can be set up in the XX configuration to make it freestanding. The carbon fiber one you're mentioning is either the Carbon Tree (same style as the Tensa4) or the YOBO Cricket ($$$). Here is a (German language) comparison of the Tensa4 and YOBO Cricket.

If weight wasn't an issue, I'd go with the Tensa4 in a heartbeat. It seems like the most minimal, versatile, packable, and well executed stand on the market right now.

I got the Tensa Solo for less bulk than the four. It is a little over 19 inches. It fits in a dry bag on the passenger seat of the thumper and on the luggage rack for the R100. The Orange Screw anchor work in some kinds of soil. East Tennessee no problem, sandy loam in Florida you're likely to end up on the ground. There is another type of anchor which does not appear to be likely to work any better in sandy soils.

The four reportedly puts less pull on the anchor and it should hold better, but I personally saw an Orange Screw break when used with a four. There are pictures of the one anchor point being a motorcycle. My research did not find another stand which would be any shorter. I need to measure the width of the bike with saddle bags mounted and see if another system is better, but either there is a stand with tripods and a ridge pole or anchors which still leaves the major short coming of the Tensa.

The Tensa telescopic poles may sometimes require using a stick to extend them. The Solo will probably go with to a rally in Waynesville, but not to any coastal events.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    I purchased a Tensa4 a couple of weeks ago and it works well with my Warbonnet Traveler XL and my Dutchware Wide 11' Netless. I had not tried it with my old HH Explorer Deluxe XL Classic. I took the Tensa4 out this afternoon to a local park and tried it with the HH Explorer Deluxe XL Classic. It worked fine. I am 6'-2" tall and the center of my knee is about 21" above the ground barefoot. I could hang the hammock with the slot opening at 20" which is fine for entry and exit. I could probably achieve 22" opening height. One thing to take into account is that your feet will be on the wrong side of the baseline but your CG will be on the right side of the baseline when seated. I tethered the head end of the Tensa4 to a tree to prevent mousetrapping. I had no problem entering or exiting. I had to make a few adjustments to the suspension with the stock HH Spectra cord. I used a Hennessey Lash on the foot end to the daisy chain section of the guy line. I used a Becket Hitch on the head end. I did use the Tensa ridgeline strap. If I was going to continue to use the HH Explorer Deluxe XL Classic I would install continuous loops and attach to the Tensa4 with soft shackles.

I forgot how hot and oppressive a netted hammock is in 80° F weather. I broke out in a sweat performing the test. It took about 20~25 minutes to set up and adjust. I think setup would be in the 10~15 minute range with a little practice and continuous loops on the HH.

Attached are a couple of photos of the HH installed on the Tensa4. The third photo is a view from the Warbonnet Traveler XL.

PXL_20220210_204415344.jpg
    PXL_20220210_204353300.jpg
    PXL_20220210_210907994.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast