Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Seems to me that the Tensa4 would be hard to beat as a (mostly) stand-alone solution for moto camping if the weight and space are acceptable. If not, the Solo would work for single tree or hangable stand-in solution that works most of the time. The last time I camped (below alpine) w/o a single tree in the campsite, I was surrounded by miles of active sand dunes which is a situation I'm not likely to see again.

I've done a fair bit of car camping with the Solo and often as not, I do not use either the boomstake or screw for anchorage although both work well in the right situations. Sometimes it might even be easier but it is much more fun and satisfying to rig something up from existing structure than drive a stake in the ground. With a bit of creativity and a few ounces of dyneema strap and amsteel, good solid structural anchorage points are there for the using. Trees, roots, rocks, posts, logs, car wheels, parking bumpers, site designation signage, fencing, picnic tables etc. are abundant at most campsites and it only takes a few minutes to rig a deadman on the beach.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithica View Post
    I purchased a Tensa4 a couple of weeks ago and it works well with my Warbonnet Traveler XL and my Dutchware Wide 11' Netless. I had not tried it with my old HH Explorer Deluxe XL Classic. I took the Tensa4 out this afternoon to a local park and tried it with the HH Explorer Deluxe XL Classic. It worked fine. I am 6'-2" tall and the center of my knee is about 21" above the ground barefoot. I could hang the hammock with the slot opening at 20" which is fine for entry and exit. I could probably achieve 22" opening height. One thing to take into account is that your feet will be on the wrong side of the baseline but your CG will be on the right side of the baseline when seated. I tethered the head end of the Tensa4 to a tree to prevent mousetrapping. I had no problem entering or exiting. I had to make a few adjustments to the suspension with the stock HH Spectra cord. I used a Hennessey Lash on the foot end to the daisy chain section of the guy line. I used a Becket Hitch on the head end. I did use the Tensa ridgeline strap. If I was going to continue to use the HH Explorer Deluxe XL Classic I would install continuous loops and attach to the Tensa4 with soft shackles.

I forgot how hot and oppressive a netted hammock is in 80° F weather. I broke out in a sweat performing the test. It took about 20~25 minutes to set up and adjust. I think setup would be in the 10~15 minute range with a little practice and continuous loops on the HH.

Attached are a couple of photos of the HH installed on the Tensa4. The third photo is a view from the Warbonnet Traveler XL.

Attachment 187756
    Attachment 187757
    Attachment 187758
    Thank you so much for your testing and feedback. I think I am pretty much set on the Tensa 4
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Thanks for everyone's input. I popped the order on the Tensa 4 today.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input. I popped the order on the Tensa 4 today.

I think it's the most sensible choice for vehicle supported hammocking out there.

it breaks down small, sets up pretty straightforward. it's the most forgiving of uneven ground

and its small enough that if you end up finding trees most nights, you don't feel like you're schlepping around a ton of unused stuff

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    @dkurfiss, from what you described, I think you made the right choice with the Tensa4. Good options for going lighter (2 poles, solo) depending on your specific trip needs. I think you are going to feel good about your purchase.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Pad and blankets
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Good morning! I am seriously considering buying a new hammock stand for car and/or motorcycle camping. Obviously weight will not be an issue while size might be on the motorcycle so it must break down. I have looked at multiple stands and in fact own a couple which I have purchased used from the forums.

I have a DIY Tensa, a Turtle Dog stand, and even a Handy Hammock stand all of which I have purchased via the FS area. I like them all but they all have issues for me. The Tensa is good but the version I have does not break down small enough. The Turtle Dog is a good stand but the legs are too long to use with the bike. The Handy Hammock stand is a nice set up but I use a HH Classic (bottom opening) due to mobility issues and the stand does not work well with it at all.

So, if price were no object, which stand would you get and why? I am not interested in DIY again so please offer suggestions on commercial.

Thanks for your help.
    On my To Do List... Build a Tensa from Top Rail.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    The Tensa arrived last week. I finally, on Saturday, got a chance to set it up in the house. As Shug said "it takes some tweaking" for the first set up. I did manage to "read the back of my eye lids" for a few hours in it before I had to tear it down as company was coming on Sunday. I will put it back up this week and hope to get a couple of nights sleeping in it.

For those interested, it works fine with the HH classic (bottom) entry.

I will post more as I explore it a bit more. Thank you to everyone for your feedback and suggestions.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    dkurfiss, if you have to tear it down because company’s coming, you might be inviting the wrong company
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Oh great.

This looks like exactly what I need........except I'll need 2 of them. One for me and one for my son, LOL

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Oh great.

This looks like exactly what I need........except I'll need 2 of them. One for me and one for my son, LOL
    Not cheap but will serve my purpose nicely
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast