WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Ashley Book Of Knots has almost 4000 knots

Why have I chosen a small handful of knots, out of thousands, for hammock camping.

Most but not all of my collection of favorite knots are tied in the bight—that is tied in middle of rope, without need to access either ends of rope.

This tied in the bight, usually gives multiple benefits.
    The knot or hitch can be tied FASTER. Without having to pull rope all way to end for each step.
    Also this speed and straight forward method, reduces the chances of “getting lost in the knot” and making errors while you tie the knot.

Many but not all my favorite hammock camping knots can be untied by “pulling the ripcord”—one yank to loose end near the knot, will untie the knot.

Most, if not all, my favorite knots, hold without slipping, do not jam, are easy to tie, and easy to untie.

Many people have other knots that are their favorites. And many hammock campers avoid knots and prefer to use hardware. Hardware in many cases, is faster and holds better. You can’t go wrong with the right hardware

Sometimes when camping, something breaks or gets lost. Knowing a few reliable knots can solve problems easily.

My favorites
    Tied in the bight = TIB = *
    Larks head*
    Slipped Zeppelin bend*
    Marlin spike hitch*
    Siberian hitch*
    Farrimond friction hitch*
    Tensionless hitch
    Alpine butterfly loop*
    Slipped buntline hitch
    Slipped Blake’s hitch
    Diamond knot

Most of these knots are shown in my videos on YouTube
    David Hughes
    Phantom Grapplers recommended ties part 1 and part 2.

These are not the be all and end all of all knots. If you use other knots that work for you—keep using the knots that you can count on.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Phantom, you are the Knot Whisperer.

I am a common knot thief. I rummaged through the collection, stole the best and simplest for my purposes and disappeared into the night. If I need more, I'll steal them!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Phantom, you are the Knot Whisperer.

I am a common knot thief. I rummaged through the collection, stole the best and simplest for my purposes and disappeared into the night. If I need more, I'll steal them!
    Cmoulder, I stole Blake’s hitch from you, that’s ok, Blake actually lifted it from an earlier creator.

Blake’s hitch holds incredibly tight for a slip and grip hitch.

I modify Blake’s hitch on Zingit with 5 coils, looks like 6 coils, and then the last step is to slip Blake’s hitch with a bight, instead of pulling tag end all way through.
    Bight exits in middle of 6 wraps, with 3 wraps above and 3 wraps below.
    This will allow easy untie of Blake’s hitch.

Bight is not needed if Blake’s hitch is going to be semi-permanent.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    I love the Zeppelin bend, but I never use it as a slipped knot. I've never seen the need for that, so I'm curious what you use it for? I've also never tied it in the bight, never thought about doing that.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Knots are great fun! Below I've linked the base variant of each of your suggested knots as found on Grog's site. The two variations you mention are "tying in the bight" (TIB) and "slipped". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but TIB refers to knots that are tied without an explicit working end (e.g., https://www.animatedknots.com/bowline-on-a-bight-knot) and slipped refers to knots where the working end is folded and passed through the final bend, allowing it to be easily untied (e.g., https://www.animatedknots.com/slip-knot).

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Ashley Book Of Knots has almost 4000 knots

Quote Originally Posted by Humneso View Post
    I love the Zeppelin bend, but I never use it as a slipped knot. I've never seen the need for that, so I'm curious what you use it for? I've also never tied it in the bight, never thought about doing that.
    Slipped Zeppelin bend can be tied where you want it. Only the last move is slipped with a bight or bunny rabbit ear. Then when ready to break camp, just give the loose ends a yank—and entire knot disappears. Also good for amsteel to amsteel, and amsteel to skinny strap. Will hold you and your hammock off ground all night. Then in morning it’s easy to release. It’s actually an exploding knot, when ripcords are pulled, entire knot completely disappears.

Now suppose, my video is not clear, or you just never learned slipped Zeppelin bend.
    Not a problem! Use a knot you already know, that also works for this application!
    A marlin spike hitch variation can hold two ropes or rope and strap together. The hold is good for your weight in hammock. In morning when remove toggle—entire marlin spike hitch disappears.

How to tie marlin spike hitch variant for joining two ropes.
    Hold both ropes parallel or side by side in your palm.
    Your palm should face upwards.
    Both rope short ends or loose ends hang over edge of palm at your pinky finger.
    Now tie marlin spike hitch with both ropes at same time and place. Then insert strong crushproof toggle or carabiner in marlin spike hitch.
    The long ends that are on far side of palm near index finger will be your suspension—one goes one way and the other goes opposite way.

Both slipped Zeppelin bend and marlin spike hitch will hold without slipping and without jamming.
    No worries about untie in morning!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 02-09-2022 at 19:33.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    AltSalt, you are right. Slipped Zeppelin bend is tied in bight TIB and is also slipped. Both loose ends are slipped.
    A knot could be one and not the other, but slipped Zeppelin bend is both TIB and happens to be slipped too!

Siberian hitch is the easiest for me. My uncle taught me how to do it. So twist around static, grab the working end that appears when grabbing it with the left hand while holding it tight. That's going to be a strong one. By the way, in https://freebooksummary.com/category/ella-minnow-pea the youth's uncle teaches some neat tips on making efficient knots. I can't remember, but in a free book summary, the Siberian hitch is one of the most pragmatic hitches in the sea world.
    Last edited by Josesadler; 02-22-2022 at 13:55.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The buntline hitch will make a line fast using the least length. All other knots use more line.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    The buntline hitch will make a line fast using the least length. All other knots use more line.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
    Slipped buntline is my fave for attaching hammock suspension to tree. It's a constrictor loop which is handy for repositioning suspension height, but stays in place when you want it to.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast