MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images

The Sweetie Pie, a modern PeaPod alternative?

With less than a week before my first multi-night hang above the snow line, I decided that upping my UQ game was in order. The stars aligned and rather than walking away from a local thrift store with DIY materials, I may have found an already set solution and potential clone of the highly sought PeaPod!

The Sweetie Pie was designed to act as a sleeping bag expander, attaching to pre-existing zippers and making for a snuggly multi-person mummy bag. However, "slices" can be zipped together to achieve a perfect collar for hammock usage. When I spotted them, after hours of perusing this forum for winter hanging tips and seeing PeaPod continue to pop up, how could I refuse picking up all 10 (!) of them?

Conducting some tests at home last night, it seems that two make a snug and very warm collar, but the length isn't quite there to act as a full TQ/UQ. I'll be experimenting with (and asking for help in the DIY sub regarding) ways to combine four into a full pod setup for this upcoming trip.

They are insulated with Polarguard 3D which seems a bit bulky, but I'm hoping a compression sack will help with that. The ad-copy doesn't really explain what temperature rating they provide as they generally aren't used alone.

Has anyone else had encountered these? Is there something obvious I'm missing about why these wouldn't keep me toasty in 20-30F? Are these actually nothing like the mythical PeaPod?

Figured there may be enough interest in these that they warranted their own thread...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use my Western Mountaineering 20º Alpinelite as a pod. Have had it down to -40º with augmentation and was toasty warm.
    You can see it at 16:20 into the video below.
    Shug

Added a zipper insert....

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Does anyone make a pod system that you can buy now? I always am a bit envious of these systems, I could see them being awesome for winter. You could pod yourself and bring a top quilt to fill up some extra space in the hammock and stay super toasty.

Though I do wonder how condensation would build up with that mummy style head opening.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Does anyone make a pod system that you can buy now? I always am a bit envious of these systems, I could see them being awesome for winter. You could pod yourself and bring a top quilt to fill up some extra space in the hammock and stay super toasty.

Though I do wonder how condensation would build up with that mummy style head opening.
    The mummy head on mine hangs under me.
    There are some pod type things......https://www.grandtrunk.com/collectio...d-sleeping-bag
    Never heard anything about it though.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Glad it never gets that cold here... *shivers*

I notice you have quite a few layers inside the pod, is that fairly recommended? I figure I should bring at least one 20 degree bag in case the pod isn't enough, but it sure does SEEM warm...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altSalt View Post
    Glad it never gets that cold here... *shivers*

I notice you have quite a few layers inside the pod, is that fairly recommended? I figure I should bring at least one 20 degree bag in case the pod isn't enough, but it sure does SEEM warm...
    Depends on your low temps for trip. Plus the 20º bag/pod alone would not have gotten me down that low. Also with a bag/pod...there is a gap over my chest area from the bag being zipped up and hammock sides holding bag up. That gap needs to be filled or you will be cold there. Thus the 30º TQ inside bag/pod. And a UQ.

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Thanks Shug, I'll definitely see about making one of those fleece frost collectors. What sort of difference would you say closing the tarp doors makes?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altSalt View Post
    Thanks Shug, I'll definitely see about making one of those fleece frost collectors. What sort of difference would you say closing the tarp doors makes?
    I only close them up tightly if the wind is blowing hard through the ends of my tarp. Otherwise like on my trip last week I leave a couple doors rolled back. I like to wake up to a frosty woods view. I have very little condensation on the tarp and it got down to -24ºF.
    Frost is very subjective though.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    I've been playing around with draping a quilt (using this one at the moment: https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-ba...y-quilt-double) over my hammock's ridgeline to see how it helps out in freezing temps. It's not the most compact or warmest blanket, but for at home or car camping, it seems to give me a nice temperature buffer ~+10° and keeps the chill off my face (or I can poke my head out when I'm in the mood for a nice refreshing chill on my face).

Plus it's large enough that I can almost get it completely wrapped under me.

20220205_232625.jpg 20220207_074140.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bsteele View Post
    I've been playing around with draping a quilt (using this one at the moment: https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-ba...y-quilt-double) over my hammock's ridgeline to see how it helps out in freezing temps. It's not the most compact or warmest blanket, but for at home or car camping, it seems to give me a nice temperature buffer ~+10° and keeps the chill off my face (or I can poke my head out when I'm in the mood for a nice refreshing chill on my face).
    That is a really clever idea! I have a similar synthetic blanket/quilt I use for summer camping. Only weighs about a pound. I wonder if draping that over my ridgeline and under a tarp would result in extra warmth, or if I'd be better off just having that much extra insulation in either one of my quilts?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast