Hello from Chicago!

Hello World - Im an avoid backpacker logging 20+ nights a year in the woods...in a tent. Im curious to try a hammock for some trips and have been researching. Probably watched more of Shugs videos than any one person should. Debating between a gathered end and a spreader bar as im a side sleeper. For now im researching and looking to try a lay on an upcoming trip.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    I've watched myself more than anyone....I have to edit it all!!!
    My opinion, and you will get many here, is that side sleeping is as easy in a gathered as a bridge.
    In fact I preferred the gathered as my knee did not come in contact with the edge as it does in a bridge.
    But everyone differs in a hammock as you basically wear it as opposed to just sleeping on it like a tent floor.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    My opinion, and you will get many here, is that side sleeping is as easy in a gathered as a bridge.
    In fact I preferred the gathered as my knee did not come in contact with the edge as it does in a bridge.
    But everyone differs in a hammock as you basically wear it as opposed to just sleeping on it like a tent floor.
    Shug

Great video Shug! Not sure what I am more envious of, the great gear or the purple guitar!

Welcome to the forum DareIHang! I am a side sleeper and have had good luck/good sleep in gathered end hammocks. You may find that one of your sleeping pad spreads the hammock out well for you while taking advantage of the width of a gathered end. lots of options to try, which is half the fun.

Best to you!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DareIHang View Post
    Hello World - Im curious to try a hammock for some trips and have been researching. Debating between a gathered end and a spreader bar as im a side slee per. For now im researching and looking to try a lay on an upcoming trip.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of hammocks! I live up the road from you in Milwaukee, WI and I used to be a side sleeper. My last cat turned me into more of a back sleeper now, but I still do a bit of side sleeping in my gathered end hammock.

Hope to meet you at a future group hang. There are some very knowledgeable and long-time hammock campers in the Chicago area. You are in great company!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Thank you for the welcomes!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Oh Shug I always watched your trip videos but went back into the archives for the hammock "how to's" Thanks for the link! Please keep creating content!

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#000000
    Boston Fan[/COLOR]]Welcome to the forum DareIHang! I am a side sleeper and have had good luck/good sleep in gathered end hammocks. You may find that one of your sleeping pad spreads the hammock out well for you while taking advantage of the width of a gathered end. lots of options to try, which is half the fun.

Lots to try but also trying to ease into it from a price point. I have a top quilt but need tarp, suspension, hammock and an under quilt. Without dropping $1k to see if I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of hammocks! I live up the road from you in Milwaukee, WI and I used to be a side sleeper. My last cat turned me into more of a back sleeper now, but I still do a bit of side sleeping in my gathered end hammock.

Hope to meet you at a future group hang. There are some very knowledgeable and long-time hammock campers in the Chicago area. You are in great company!
    Lots of good camping in WI! Im FIB'ing a few times a year. I snore like mad on my back, its not a good look.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps

Quote Originally Posted by DareIHang View Post
    I snore like mad on my back, its not a good look.
    Those who camp with me would say the same, but I INSIST that I just PURR really loudly.

◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    MTHL 11' w/wo net
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Rect
    Insulation
    DIY Costco Quilt
    Suspension
    MTHL 2in dyneema
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! I have never had a problem side sleeping in a gathered hammock, though I usually start on my back and adjust a few times over the night; as is the case, to an even greater extent, in beds.

Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Those who camp with me would say the same, but I INSIST that I just PURR really loudly.
    ��

Hammock
    Kammok Double Roo
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Rumpl
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Hello from the western suburbs! I've been side-sleeping in a gathered for a number of years now and never had a problem as long as I had a pillow between my knees. Feel free to message me if you want to take one for a brief spin before buying in.

• + New Posts