HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Cheaha Wilderness AL Freezing Out and Back FAIL

https://youtu.be/T43wMxfPkFY

My first attempt at a vlogging a backpacking trip. I cut this one short due to the cold, but would love any feedback you guys might have on the editing, etc. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Nice video. Personally, I am not a fan of the foot shot as you walk along. Kind of tough to make out anything. Maybe get a shot a few feet out in front so everyone can see how the trail looks.
    I am almost deaf, so I cannot comment on the audio portion.
    Sounds like you are a cold sleeper, and a 20* set up won't get you to 20. I will let others chime in, but you might have someone get in your hammock and you can adjust and make sure you have no drafts coming in. An uqp might give you a few extra degrees as well.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, either you a cold sleeper or a setup issue with your underquilt, or both. Was it breezy during the night? Didn't seem too breezy from what you posted. Looks like you have an HG Incubator. Couldn't see your TQ, but maybe an HG Burrow? I've found that the rated temps are pretty spot on with my HG quilts. However, a bunch of folks here recommend a 10° buffer between temp rating and lowest temps.

Getting the draft collars set right can be tough when you're by yourself. Once they are set though, I don't find that I need to fiddle with them too often unless I need to vent. Seems odd that you needed to supplement your TQ footbox with a pad, considering you have a full length UQ. If your draft collars are too tight, it will open up a gap when you get in. Too loose, and they won't seal up when you get in. Also, maybe the UQ is hanging too low? When I set up, the UQ lifts up the empty hammock. When I get in, everything snugs up. You want the UQ up against you, just not so tight that you compress the down when you're in it.

Also, I know some folks talk about wearing too much clothing can affect how the quilts work. And don't go to bed cold. Made that mistake a few times.

Not a fan of hydration bladders, mostly because I wanna know how much water I have plus having to unpack/repack when filling them. With temps near or below freezing, I would switch to wide mouth Nalgenes, stored upside down at night. Maybe even get an insulator (the sock trick).

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Great job recording, always tough in cold temps. Yeah I'm not a bladder guy, especially once it gets cold.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    As mentioned those cinch cords on the ends of the UQ can be killer. Most people adjust them until it looks right...which seems logical. But that's before you get in. Your legs will widen that a ton creating a poor fit (too tight) when it really matters. If you can't have someone adjusting it for you while you're lying inside, set up the camera and record the foot end to see how it looks. Worst case, just loosen it up all the way, then just pull a little tighter and test.

Then I always like to reach down and feel between the UQ and hammock; run you hand down as far as you can reach without changing your position. The culprit is usually a gap between your thighs/knees and UQ. That'll freeze your butt and make for a miserable night every time.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Yeah, either you a cold sleeper or a setup issue with your underquilt, or both. Was it breezy during the night? Didn't seem too breezy from what you posted. Looks like you have an HG Incubator. Couldn't see your TQ, but maybe an HG Burrow? I've found that the rated temps are pretty spot on with my HG quilts. However, a bunch of folks here recommend a 10° buffer between temp rating and lowest temps.

Getting the draft collars set right can be tough when you're by yourself. Once they are set though, I don't find that I need to fiddle with them too often unless I need to vent. Seems odd that you needed to supplement your TQ footbox with a pad, considering you have a full length UQ. If your draft collars are too tight, it will open up a gap when you get in. Too loose, and they won't seal up when you get in. Also, maybe the UQ is hanging too low? When I set up, the UQ lifts up the empty hammock. When I get in, everything snugs up. You want the UQ up against you, just not so tight that you compress the down when you're in it.

Also, I know some folks talk about wearing too much clothing can affect how the quilts work. And don't go to bed cold. Made that mistake a few times.

Not a fan of hydration bladders, mostly because I wanna know how much water I have plus having to unpack/repack when filling them. With temps near or below freezing, I would switch to wide mouth Nalgenes, stored upside down at night. Maybe even get an insulator (the sock trick).
    It was a little breezy. I had a Warbonnet Superfly up with doors closed, which definitely helped some - and it wasn't bad like it would be camping up on the ridge, but 22 degrees + any breeze at all seemed to pull heat away.

Correct, I have a HG 20 deg Incubator UQ and HG 20 deg Burrow TQ. I had my feet inside a Northface thermoball puffy jacket, with Dutchware sit pad under my feed, inside the footbox of the burrow. My feet did okay. No cold spots.

Mostly it was my face that kept waking me up. If I put my head under the TQ, then I would either not be able to fall asleep due to feeling like I was suffocating - if I had my face outside at all I'd wake up freezing. I eventually configured my balaclava and my buff wrap to perfectly cover my face. I realize I probably need to invest in lower rated gear and probably a down hood if I'm going to be going out in weather like this frequently, but honestly, it almost never gets that cold near me - so I think this was more of a once in a year type scenario that this would even happen.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Great stuff from everyone!

I wasn't like up all night freezing or anything. I just wasn't as warm as I would have liked to have been.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Nice video!

And any time you make it back to the car under your own power is a win. The rest is just learning and tweaking.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Wes-
    If you want to try again and practice some video, a bunch of us are gathering in the Sipsey the last weekend of February. Come join the fun.

Charlotte

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WesArnold View Post
    It was a little breezy. I had a Warbonnet Superfly up with doors closed, which definitely helped some - and it wasn't bad like it would be camping up on the ridge, but 22 degrees + any breeze at all seemed to pull heat away.

Correct, I have a HG 20 deg Incubator UQ and HG 20 deg Burrow TQ. I had my feet inside a Northface thermoball puffy jacket, with Dutchware sit pad under my feed, inside the footbox of the burrow. My feet did okay. No cold spots.

Mostly it was my face that kept waking me up. If I put my head under the TQ, then I would either not be able to fall asleep due to feeling like I was suffocating - if I had my face outside at all I'd wake up freezing. I eventually configured my balaclava and my buff wrap to perfectly cover my face. I realize I probably need to invest in lower rated gear and probably a down hood if I'm going to be going out in weather like this frequently, but honestly, it almost never gets that cold near me - so I think this was more of a once in a year type scenario that this would even happen.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Great stuff from everyone!

I wasn't like up all night freezing or anything. I just wasn't as warm as I would have liked to have been.
    I'm down in Florida...I get to use the 20° gear rarely. I did find that when the temps approach the UQ rating, I'd better have the setup right. TQ is a bit more forgiving...you can always throw on more clothes (if you brought em).

I've been there though, when your back gets cold. Hard to get a full sleep, always waking up when a body part gets cold. My issue was using a 40/40 Phoenix/Burrow down to the temp ratings. The UQ worked fine, my problem was I didn't have anything to supplement the footbox and my legs and feet got cold. I ended up side sleeping in the fetal position, which worked ok until I flopped out straight and the cold seeped in to the footbox. If had brought a sit pad, I would've been fine. In the 50s, it's fine without it.

For my face, I kind of like the cold on me. Obviously in the 20s, probably not a good idea to keep it exposed. I use a buff to cover my eyes and forehead and the TQ I can pull up to cover my lower face a bit if I get chilly. Usually the eye cover is for them full moon nights when I go tarpless.

Now, watching Shug and the rest of the folks here that do real winter camping, that's a whole 'nother level. Looks awesome. Looks like a lot of work.

And, definitely try to get to a meetup. Nice folks, and they'll get you set.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Shucks....'bout everyone owns a cloth mask these days.
    Cut a mouth slit and nostril holes and a lot of your face will be covered.
    Pull your beanie down over your eyes. Get a balaclava. Add a hood.
    Warm head.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...ories/apparel/
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast